HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

American Commerce Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillydude View Post
Hi folks. Long time, no see.

I hate this building. More glass, another spire, ugh, ugh, ugh. I hope they can it. Philly can do a lot better.
Let's see your model.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
It would edge out Chicago's Sears Tower, at 1,451 feet, to become the nation's tallest building.
Not if Chicago's Spire gets completed.

Anyway I hope it gets redesigned, but then again that's mainly because I'm not really in favour of designs that aren't symmetrical.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 4:34 PM

Article in today's Inky (Business Section) regarding ACC. Believe it or not, it defines it right, stating "If built...would rank fourth behind Sears Tower (with Antenna), Chicago Spire and Freedom Tower"

The Inky must read PhillySkyline.com

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 6:23 PM

from here: http://philadelphia.bizjournals.com/...wscolumn3.html

Making some progress

Walnut Street Capital, which proposed a giant skyscraper at 18th and Arch streets in Center City, is making headway on its plans in what may be a new model of how development projects get done.

With Mayor Michael Nutter's edict to empower the planning commission to help shape the city's future and vision, Walnut Street has attempted to veer from the old way of getting projects out of the ground. Since March, it has engaged the neighborhood, City Council, the mayor and planning commission on the project called American Commerce Center. The old way of doing things had developers hashing out plans with the community and then seeking Council approval with little regard to how a project fit in.

Legislation was introduced last week that would re-zone the site, lift the height limit and approve the proposed density. The developer still plans to meet with community groups and planners to work out any issues in hopes the commission will recommend the project for approval, said Peter Kelsen, Walnut Street's lawyer. Best-case scenario has Council approving the legislation next autumn with a ground breaking when a lead tenant has signed on.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 7:58 AM
None...

I hope there are more design elements to the building's facade besides sheer glass and an unconventional angle or two at the top. Right now, the renderings look really bad, other than the height of course.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks native View Post
Best-case scenario has Council approving the legislation next autumn with a ground breaking when a lead tenant has signed on.
I love the best-case scenario... even though it includes an unknown element.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 5:15 PM
BANNED

Here is that article about the ACC with five reasons it will and will not get built from yesterday's Inquirer. http://www.philly.com/inquirer/busin...kyscraper.html

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 2:51 AM

When's his last day in office?

Quote:
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Fumo vs. SuperSkyscraper?

From Marcia Gelbart:

Though it is his last year in office, state Sen. Vincent J. Fumo is not going quietly into the night.
The legendary lawmaker from South Philadelphia is causing some pains for Philadelphia officials - Mayor Nutter, for one — with some last-minute moves as Harrisburg tried to wrap up business before summer.
What Fumo did was add some controversial lanaguage to an already controversial bill regarding special tax-free areas known as Keystone Opportunity Zones (KOZ). Nutter was personally pushing that bill since it would help entice a big financial firm, BlackRock Inc., to move to move 1,100 employees here from central New Jersey.
The Fumo amendment, consisting of one paragraph in a 16-page bill, would have prohibited the KOZ designation on any land that was within 1,001-feet of any parcel with a project that received $20 million or more in state assistance in the last four years.
Fumo’s spokeman did not return a call or email to shine any light on what this language was all about.
But some political insiders suspect it had nothing to do with BlackRock. Rather, it may have been aimed at preventing Philadelphia’s newest proposed skyscraper, the American Commerce Center, from getting any state aid or being eligible for the city’s 10-year tax abatement on new construction. At 1,510 feet, it would be Philadelphia’s tallest building — and just a block from the city’s current tallest building, the Comcast Center.
Though approved in the Senate, the Fumo language Wednesday in the House, bringing relief to senior Nutter aides who feared it might jeopardize the whole bill.
And so that’s one problem averted, for the moment. The bill is expected to go back to the Senate, where Fumo will have another whack at it, if he chooses.

Posted by Jeff Shields @ 5:32 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/h.../22873379.html

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 4:30 AM

I feel like the base is an ingenious combination for a supertall, but as been mentioned before, the top is really bland and disappointing. Given a redesign for the Apex and I'd love to see it built!!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 4:34 AM

Angry Fumo Must Go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally View Post
Somebody whack this guy please. Dont wait for his term to expire. what the you know what...for someone who proportedly is out for Philadelphia's best interests, he is acting like one gigantic monkey wrench. This developemnt would create at least a thousand permanent positions within the city, generate thousands more in construction jobs, and most importantly, let Philadelphia take one gigantic leap forward in world wide recognition.

No one is trying to build this thing in the middle of some residental neighborhood or in the middle of an oil refinerey complex. It is proposed for the CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT !! Last time i checked, that is where a city sets aside space for its tallest structures....but what the hell do I know, right ?

Last edited by TheOldMan; Jul 4, 2008 at 6:19 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 5:12 AM
BANNED

I went to the DAG meeting this morning and the ACC was brought up. The new zoning ordinance needs to be changed from C4 to C5 which is five and half times more square footage than the C4, so it's not a "minor" change as we were led to believe. Also, the traffic study that is being conducted has "a lot of missing parts and has been questioned." Apparently not much has changed since the last DAG meeting when the architects presented the ACC. There is a growing "sizable opposition", mainly from the usual suspects like our friends below in commie house, as well as the Loganites. Some have been calling the proposal "premature"...what's meant by that I have no idea.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 2:00 PM

"Traffic study"?

On it's face, it's hilarious because we're in a city. However, when you note that ACC will be connected to a major transportation hub it's downright scary.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 3:16 PM
Corporate logo

People, send an email to Vince Fumo NOW and urge him to support the ACC Tower. Do it. Sometimes they actually listen.

http://www.fumo.com/email.htm

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 4:42 AM

Below is my e-mail:

Mr. Fumo as our city's leader and state Senator, I am appalled at your opposition to the American Commerce Center proposal. This building is proposed in the heart of center city where it belongs, not in Roxborough, Northeast Philly or South Philly neighborhoods. If built this building will bring thousands of jobs to this city, which in turn will bring other jobs, not to mention the additional tax revenues to city and state. I sincerely believe that it is our elected leader's responsibility to ensure that project like the ACC moves forward not stalled or opposed. I hope you will reconsidered your opposition and embrace this project and set a precedence for other leaders of this great city. Thank you.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 12:48 AM
Always Lookin' Up

What exactly is Fumo's problem??

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraggman View Post
What exactly is Fumo's problem??
Apparently he was not paid off.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 1:01 PM
Hello

It is going to be 2 or 3 years before a hole starts to get dug for the foundation of ACC, but I like how the progression of this development is going. One step at a time, but things are moving in the right direction.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 6:15 PM

More News on ACC at planphilly.com

http://www.planphilly.com/node/3515

So looks like we have more details coming to us in a weeks time. Good to have some provided information again instead of speculation... not that I don't enjoy the speculation

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 7:44 PM
Resident Jackass

looks promising

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 8:22 PM
BANNED

"Asked if there were any companies interested in being anchor tenants at such a signature building, he would only allow, 'Possibly.'”

Hahaha that's awesome. I wish I could have been there to read his body language.

Question: have any proposals of the this scale avoided redesigns in the past, or is there always a redesign?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive