HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 12:30 PM
The Sheriff

Just saw online that Bouclair home is filing for bankruptcy, that was a decent size store in Fredericton opens another slot in the Corbrett Center

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 12:36 PM

Bouclair will file for bankruptcy, store closures expected

https://www.iheartradio.ca/610cktb/n...pJmVNBvbT2RI3c

Quote:
The future of the home-decor chain Bouclair appears uncertain. The company says it plans to file for bankruptcy as part of a plan to be acquired by a new investor group that includes its chief executive.
The company says it will close some of its stores, and will seek an order authorizing a liquidation process for the assets in certain stores that will not be part of the transaction. Bouclair is a privately owned Canadian company that has 102 stores across Quebec, Ontario, Western and Atlantic Canada. The company has 45 stores in Ontario, including one in St. Catharines.
The Niagara Falls location at Niagara Square shuttered last year.
It appears that the Fredericton location might be closing because the Fredericton store (as well as the Dartmouth, NS store) no longer shows up on their website. So I would assume that these two locations will be closing then. Only the Moncton store shows up. The St.John's Newfoundland location also shows up on their website.

So from what I've gathered is that the Moncton and St.John's Newfoundland locations will remain open. The other two (Dartmouth and Fredericton) will be closing here in Atlantic Canada.

(Edit: just noticed Blue Blazer posted about it before I did, whoops lol)

Last edited by DyAm00394; Nov 13, 2019 at 1:50 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 12:37 PM

Always sad to hear a business shutting down; but like downtown and Regent Mall, I doubt the spot will be empty for long.

And glad the Microunits project was approved. I wonder if that will warrant a crane as well?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 2:38 PM

CBC article about the Waterloo Row project approval: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...356902?cmp=rss

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Always sad to hear a business shutting down; but like downtown and Regent Mall, I doubt the spot will be empty for long.

And glad the Microunits project was approved. I wonder if that will warrant a crane as well?
The renderings for the micro units project showed 5 floors. I think it will warrant a crane. This project should be very successful IMHO.

This is the developers web site:
https://www.microboutiqueliving.com/index.php

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:08 PM

Yeah I just saw another copy of the rendering on FB and realized it will probably use a crane (especially considering how tight the build site will be). So with that, the Legion and the Risteen and 343 Queen projects, we have a decent chance of having 4 cranes in the Freddy skyline next summer.

Getting a shot with all four at once will probably be tricky with how far Waterloo Row is away; but I'm sure we'll be up for the challenge.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah I just saw another copy of the rendering on FB and realized it will probably use a crane (especially considering how tight the build site will be). So with that, the Legion and the Risteen and 343 Queen projects, we have a decent chance of having 4 cranes in the Freddy skyline next summer.

Getting a shot with all four at once will probably be tricky with how far Waterloo Row is away; but I'm sure we'll be up for the challenge.
It's an exciting project. In their other locations they have ground floor commercial and the residential units above. Makes for a more upscale looking building IMHO.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
Just saw online that Bouclair home is filing for bankruptcy, that was a decent size store in Fredericton opens another slot in the Corbett Center
Likely will be others. There is always a rush to bankruptcy after Xmas. It will be interesting to see who's on the naughty list this year. Sad but its a normal part of the commercial lifecycle

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:04 AM

Chicken Bones Liqueur made at Moonshine Creek Distillery in Waterville!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ueur-1.5358743

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Likely will be others. There is always a rush to bankruptcy after Xmas. It will be interesting to see who's on the naughty list this year. Sad but its a normal part of the commercial lifecycle

I know here in Atlantic Canada it's only the Fredericton store and the Dartmouth store (Nova Scotia's last remaining location) that will be closing. (The Moncton store and St.John's, Newfoundland store will remain open). I've saw over on Retail Talk & Share that someone (who has a friend working in the Fredericton one) said that the Fredericton store will be closing by the end of December. It is indeed sad to see store closures but like you said, it's a normal part of the business cycle. I believe the new investor group that acquired the company, is using this bankruptcy as a means to "get rid of" under performing stores and to trim their store count a bit.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:33 AM

There is a proposal by Kileel Developments to repurpose the Centennial Building into a Marriott Hotel, a new Playhouse and a parking garage. There would also be retail on the ground floor. The city would lease the proposed playhouse from the proponent. Kileel is waiting for the province to make a decision to proceed with the sale or not. The city ppears to be amenable to the proposal

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
There is a proposal by Kileel Developments to repurpose the Centennial Building into a Marriott Hotel, a new Playhouse and a parking garage. There would also be retail on the ground floor. The city would lease the proposed playhouse from the proponent. Kileel is waiting for the province to make a decision to proceed with the sale or not. The city ppears to be amenable to the proposal
That’s a great plan. Hopefully it moves forward.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 12:16 PM

Interesting proposal, will be curious to see what happens.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 1:25 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
That is a lot of hotels in such a small area, I cant see that happening but would be interesting at least with the playhouse 2.0 and a parking garage , and stores on the bottom

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 1:47 PM

I think I'd like to see the plans more before getting too excited about it; but the idea is intriguing.

I would assume that the existing building would have the upper floors transformed into hotel rooms somehow. The main lobby (with IIRC some of the murals they want to protect?) would be the hotel lobby. Ground floor retail would either be off the lobby or the first floor of the existing building.

The new Playhouse would be built at the rear of the building where it was already torn down, with the underground parking (Flood risk?) being under that new section.

It seems like an intriguing idea, but I'm not sure how feasible it is. Converting all that office space to hotel space seems like a LOT of work.

That would be 3 major hotels within 3 blocks of eachother downtown; but it is also the space in downtown that needs the hotel space, between the Playhouse, the Conference Centre and the Legislature, there is likely a lot of demand for hotel space.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 3:08 PM

Quote:
I think I'd like to see the plans more before getting too excited about it; but the idea is intriguing.

I would assume that the existing building would have the upper floors transformed into hotel rooms somehow. The main lobby (with IIRC some of the murals they want to protect?) would be the hotel lobby. Ground floor retail would either be off the lobby or the first floor of the existing building.

The new Playhouse would be built at the rear of the building where it was already torn down, with the underground parking (Flood risk?) being under that new section.

It seems like an intriguing idea, but I'm not sure how feasible it is. Converting all that office space to hotel space seems like a LOT of work.

That would be 3 major hotels within 3 blocks of eachother downtown; but it is also the space in downtown that needs the hotel space, between the Playhouse, the Conference Centre and the Legislature, there is likely a lot of demand for hotel space.
I believe the demand is there. Attending a conference in a Fredericton hotel recently, I found out the hotel was fully booked. Staying at another hotel was less convenient. And that was booking the room a couple of months in advance of the event. I don't have occupancy figures, but I'm sure the developers wouldn't invest $ millions in a new hotel without doing their research. Having the Centennial building re-developed would be great for downtown Fredericton.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 3:49 PM

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Not really. The interior of the building is completely gutted.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
That is a lot of hotels in such a small area, I cant see that happening but would be interesting at least with the playhouse 2.0 and a parking garage , and stores on the bottom
How is it different from the plethora of hotels we have on Bishop and Prospect?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 3:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post

I like this proposal - all of it.

I'm also glad to see them adding a parking structure - something that remains anathema here in Moncton........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces