HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 7:34 PM

[QUOTE=edale;8711534]Where is Eagle Heights? Did you mean Eagle Rock?

I love Atwater, but would definitely not call it the coolest neighborhood in LA, let alone one of the coolest in the world. The obviously 'cool' neighborhoods in LA are Venice, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Downtown, Arts District, maybe the Fairfax area. I'd say Koreatown and Chinatown are the up and coming cool areas.[/QUOTE

Fairfax is definetly cool. It's probably what Melrose used to be. I'd throw in West Hollywood too, even though it's more expensive.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Our patron saint is actually Tony Bennett.
Tony Benedetti, yes.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
I’m sure if Astoria was in Toronto we would have 50 threads about it, high rez aerials posted frequently, and complaints about why isn’t it listed as one of the worlds coolest neighborhoods (must be the ignorant American media)
Another segue into a reason-to-bash-Toronto thread from dc-denizen.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
I’m sure if Astoria was in Toronto we would have 50 threads about it, high rez aerials posted frequently, and complaints about why isn’t it listed as one of the worlds coolest neighborhoods (must be the ignorant American media)
Funny thing is Astoria gives me the most Toronto feel of the NYC hoods Ive been around.

Actually Queens in general.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
Funny thing is Astoria gives me the most Toronto feel of the NYC hoods Ive been around.

Actually Queens in general.
I think of Queens as New York's own Chicago.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 11:28 PM
Paramoderator

Historic Philippino Town counts. I go down there for shows all the time. Current coolest neighborhoods in Los Angeles right now are Historic Philippino Town, East Hollywood, Lincoln Heights, Highland Park, and Eagle Rock. Silver Lake lapsed out of being cool the second the Starbucks Reserve was thrown up, but hasn't really been "cool" per se in a while, at least not the type of bleeding edge in-the-know cool that really separates the fat from the meat.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:22 PM

Interesting. What's a the coolest commercial stretch there? Beverly or Temple or...?

Are some of those newer resdential complexes open now?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Historic Philippino Town counts. I go down there for shows all the time. Current coolest neighborhoods in Los Angeles right now are Historic Philippino Town, East Hollywood, Lincoln Heights, Highland Park, and Eagle Rock. Silver Lake lapsed out of being cool the second the Starbucks Reserve was thrown up, but hasn't really been "cool" per se in a while, at least not the type of bleeding edge in-the-know cool that really separates the fat from the meat.
I was gonna say...

What's considered "cool" is subjective; and for me anyway, it's often the case that once a place is established as "cool," it kinda loses its "cool" factor. It becomes mainstream, establishment; where everyone else goes.

I don't really go to Historic Filipinotown, and I only really drive through Lincoln Heights or go through it on the Metro Gold Line, but I will agree about East Hollywood, Highland Park (which I feel is starting to get up there somewhat in reaching that "established" cool factor) and Eagle Rock being cool neighborhoods---low-key, still feeling a bit undiscovered, not as crowded with the "in-crowd," and chill vibes.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:55 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Hollywood is amazing right now. Go there often. The Walk of Fame is still whatever, but the rest is pretty cool. People love to base their opinions on that one strip.
I can't wait until all these new hotels open up.
i was hoping somebody local would say that about hollywood. i thought so too on a recent visit. like it was interesting, well beyond the touristy stuff and up and coming.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Where is Eagle Heights? Did you mean Eagle Rock?

I love Atwater, but would definitely not call it the coolest neighborhood in LA, let alone one of the coolest in the world. The obviously 'cool' neighborhoods in LA are Venice, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Downtown, Arts District, maybe the Fairfax area. I'd say Koreatown and Chinatown are the up and coming cool areas.
Koreatown up and coming, or do you mean gentrifying? It is culturally and institutionally a part of the bones of LA and has been for decades. Perhaps it reinvents itself over time, like any stable neighborhood does.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i was hoping somebody local would say that about hollywood. i thought so too on a recent visit. like it was interesting, well beyond the touristy stuff and up and coming.
Like many tourists, some locals think of Hollywood as the Walk of Fame. It's annoying and they probably think it's a cool thing to say. But the younger crowd seems to love it.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
Koreatown up and coming, or do you mean gentrifying? It is culturally and institutionally a part of the bones of LA and has been for decades. Perhaps it reinvents itself over time, like any stable neighborhood does.
It's also growing too. In 3 of the 4 directions, anyway.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
Hollywood is awesome right now. So much development, from residential to office to hotels. I think there are over 25 hotels (mostly boutique) under construction or recently opened in a very tight area. If someone hasnt been to Hollywood over the last 5 years, i think they would be shocked at the change.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Please. I drive through 'Historic Filipinotown' regularly to get from my neighborhood of Los Feliz to work/other stuff downtown, and it barely registers as an identifiable neighborhood, let alone a super cool one. Temple and Beverly are both lined with mostly non-descript businesses, auto body shops. I know of like 2 decent restaurants around there, and I suppose some of the residential areas are somewhat interesting, but I don't see what could be so cool about it. I did go to some sort of makeshift rave thing there about 10 years ago, so obviously it must be super cool lol.

I love Lincoln Heights and I think it's a cool neighborhood for what it is (ethnic neighborhood with good historic bones and some delicious Mexican food, nice park, transit access, etc.) But outside of the old brewery where they do the artwalk, what is so cool about it? East Hollywood is grimey but I have been to some good parties at old bars that are becoming hipster spots, so I can see it becoming somewhat 'cool'. I do love Highland Park and should have included it in my initial list. Eagle Rock is sleepy and super suburban. Idk, this all just goes to show how stupid this whole concept is. What even is cool?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions