HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 3:50 AM
maverick

Omsk, Siberia

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omsk

Omsk (Russian: Омск) is a city in southwest Siberia in Russia, the administrative center of Omsk Oblast. It is the second-largest city in Russia beyond the Urals.

In the Russian Empire, it was the seat of the Governor General of Western Siberia, and later of the Governor General of the Steppes. For a brief period during the Russian Civil War in 1918–1919, it was proclaimed the Capital of Russia, and held the imperial gold reserves.

Omsk is the administrative center of Siberian Cossacks, the see of the bishop of Omsk and Tara, and the imam of Siberia.

Founded August 2, 1716
Population 1,134,016
Density 1,979.1/km² (5,125.8/sq mi)
Coordinates 54°59′N 73°22′E

The climate is dry and continental, characterized by dramatic swings of weather. The average daily temperatures are, over the last thirty years, 20 °C (68 °F) in July and −19 °C (−2.2 °F) in January, although typical extremes reach 45 °C (113 °F) in the summer and −45 °C (−49 °F) in the winter. The average number of sunny days is over 300 per year. The annual rainfall is 315 millimetres (12.4 in).

photo by Igoryok Omsk

photo by AlexP

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Last edited by anm; Jun 21, 2008 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 4:21 AM
maverick

Omsk continued

by IgoryokOmsk

by AlexP

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Last edited by anm; Jun 21, 2008 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 1:13 AM
maverick

more of Omsk bu AlexP

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 2:09 AM
maverick

Barnaul by Siberian, continued

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 11:12 AM
low life in a tall place

It looks really pleasant!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 4:35 PM
Editor

Thanks, anm for posting these pics here

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 3:22 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
It looks really pleasant!
It's probably because there is no diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
Thanks, anm for posting these pics here
Thanks for taking them. You are doing a great job, I am looking forward to more stuff form you.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 8:38 PM
YIMBY co-founder

These are ALOT of great photos. IMO a bit too many even, since even at 100Mb/s it takes me minutes to load this thread. What to do...

I hereby grant the right of posting just to get the thread to go to a new page unto anm and myself in this thread.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 8:39 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Using that right I just gave myself and anm
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 1:22 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
These are ALOT of great photos. IMO a bit too many even, since even at 100Mb/s it takes me minutes to load this thread. What to do...

I hereby grant the right of posting just to get the thread to go to a new page unto anm and myself in this thread.
I know it takes long to load... It is even worse with Moscow and St Petersburgh threads. Considering ever dimishing attention span of modern audience I suppose this limits the number of people willing to return for updates. I guess only super patient forumers will watch them.

The pages would be loading faster if posts with photos were alternating with questions, answers and some little talk. Perhaps the pics I post are too self-explanatory and I need to post more provocative stuff.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 9:14 AM
YIMBY co-founder

^True. More comment posts would spread the pics out. One way to go for that could be to comment the photos when you post them. Oh, and number them in the post; makes it far easier to refer to a pic if it has (what amounts to) a name

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 11:23 PM
maverick

Quote:
^True. More comment posts would spread the pics out. One way to go for that could be to comment the photos when you post them. Oh, and number them in the post; makes it far easier to refer to a pic if it has (what amounts to) a name
Commenting on pics in the same post with the pics will not make pages load faster. Additional posts with text only would help, but people are ot asking much.

Numbering is a good idea.... sometimes. One problem is, being a perfectionist (or a nerd, if you prefer), I often go back a few of days after putting up a post, change order of pictures, delete or add some.

Anyway, if somebody wanted to refer to a picture, they could just quote it - it does not take any more time to load a post with quoted pictures, since they have been already downloaded once. I prefer this anyway - I do not have to scroll up to find what people are talking about.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 2:21 AM
Editor

Probably they don't know what to say instead of 'wow, what enormous number of photos?' I think the better way is posting here only best photos (not all) and more commenting about subject.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 9:55 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
Commenting on pics in the same post with the pics will not make pages load faster. Additional posts with text only would help, but people are ot asking much.
True, but I was thinking that it'd be more for other people to comment on if there's some text with each pic. I do know it can be quite a bit of work to do it, but it usually pays of in more replies

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 4:36 AM
maverick

Quote:
True, but I was thinking that it'd be more for other people to comment on if there's some text with each pic. I do know it can be quite a bit of work to do it, but it usually pays of in more replies
OK, you are right. I am lazy, I guess. But since the thread is about Russia, I would think that idf people were intersted in discussing anything, thet would find plenty of reasons beyond pictures.

For example, Swede, you are Swede , so I presume you know a thing or two about hockey. How about this news, related to the city of Omsk featured at the top of this page:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3473421

Jagr leaves NHL to play for Russian team Avangard Omsk

MOSCOW -- Jaromir Jagr signed with a Russian team a day after his split with the New York Rangers, returning to the club he joined during the NHL's 2004-05 lockout

The Russian League team Avangard Omsk announced the signing of the 36-year-old Czech winger on its Web site Friday.

"It was the toughest decision in my life, hockeywise. ... No question about it. I hate making changes," Jagr told The Canadian Press.

Jagr's agent, Pat Brisson, confirmed the signing in an e-mail. He and Jagr, as well the team, wouldn't comment on contract terms. However, the deal is believed to be for two years plus an option for a third, and will pay Jagr about $7 million tax-free -- the equivalent of about $11 million a season in the NHL.

Sources told ESPN.com on Friday that Jagr has a "no-out" clause, locking him into staying in Russia for the length of the deal -- at least two years, with a third possible year, at Jagr's discretion.

"It was a very difficult but personal decision to make in light of the many NHL teams interested in his services," Brisson said. "He is grateful to the NHL and especially the Rangers in recent years."

Jagr enjoyed his experience in Omsk during the lockout.

"Don't forget I'm from Europe," Jagr told the Canadian Press. "Russia is nothing new for me. It's close to the Czech Republic. It would be different for American or Canadian players. But for me, I enjoy it. The people love hockey and I had a great time out there."

Pittsburgh, Edmonton and the Rangers are believed to have had the most interest in Jagr. All offered one-year deals.

"I want to thank all the teams that still believed in me and still made an offer," Jagr said. "Edmonton was probably the biggest offer I got. It was a great offer, to be honest with you."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 7:31 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Woah. didn't see that coming. A real high-class player moving to a non-NHL league is great news tho. Spread the talent around a bit and build up the other leagues.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 5:34 PM
From ZApopAn, MeXIco

These Pics are greats!!

CONGRATULATIONS, YOUR PEOPLE LOOKS LIKE CHARMING, AND THE SIBERIAN´S WOMAN.... THEY´RE PRETTY

NICE CITTIES!!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 6:18 PM
maverick

more of Kazan by K-Lex

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 6:21 PM
BANNED

cool! nice pic's of russia.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 1:33 AM
maverick

Tverskaja Oblast

pictures by Russos

Pilot: sturman

Volga-river

Tver'

Dubna

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe