HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 2:16 AM

www.kens5.com has an article that says SAHA has approved 486 million in future developments and that includes the 24 story St Mary's Tower. This project is on the verge of happening

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
www.kens5.com has an article that says SAHA has approved 486 million in future developments and that includes the 24 story St Mary's Tower. This project is on the verge of happening
That's great news. Can't wait to see this get started!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 2:56 PM

They had a news piece on it last night on kabb, said construction should be complete in 3 years.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 12:38 PM

Any news on this one? Was this a pipe dream or will it actually happen?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Any news on this one? Was this a pipe dream or will it actually happen?
Well SAHA just approved to join the project 2 1/2 months ago so this one seems to be on track.

Quote:
The project will go before SAHA’s board for final approval on Aug. 1, 2019. The project would also need to be approved by the Historic Design and Review Commission before construction can start.
https://www.connect.media/jmj-saha-p...ial-high-rise/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 9:03 PM

Cause for concern?

Twin towers

The San Antonio Housing Authority and Dallas-based JMJ Development are teaming up to build a 24-story, $62 million tower downtown, just across the street from a second tower JMJ is planning.

SAHA commissioners voted in August to work out an agreement with JMJ to construct a high-rise at the corner of Villita and South St. Mary’s. Half of the building’s 250 apartments would be set aside for renters making 80 percent or less of the area’s median income — which ranges from $39,800 to $75,000 depending on family size — with the rest offered at market rates. In return, the project would be exempt from property taxes.

Tim Alcott, SAHA’s real estate and legal officer, said at the time the organization and JMJ were looking at financing options such as tax credits and bonds. The developer hasn’t found financing, a SAHA spokesperson said recently. SAHA’s board will evaluate the project again after JMJ comes back with financing.

The firm wants to build a second $70 million apartment building nearby without SAHA’s involvement. The project, which is expected to include 226 apartments along with office and retail space, received initial approval from the HDRC in January.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Cause for concern?

Tim Alcott, SAHA’s real estate and legal officer, said at the time the organization and JMJ were looking at financing options such as tax credits and bonds. The developer hasn’t found financing, a SAHA spokesperson said recently. SAHA’s board will evaluate the project again after JMJ comes back with financing.
I was wondering what the delay was. Seems like we keep getting teased with this project only to get let down. I know I've said it before, but I really don't believe this one is ever going to get built. It just seems like JMJ is dropping the ball on this project. Which is a shame, it would be a great project for downtown.

(I really hope I'm wrong and it gets built.)

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In Real Life View Post
I was wondering what the delay was. Seems like we keep getting teased with this project only to get let down. I know I've said it before, but I really don't believe this one is ever going to get built. It just seems like JMJ is dropping the ball on this project. Which is a shame, it would be a great project for downtown.

(I really hope I'm wrong and it gets built.)
Yeah, JMJ seems to be cut from the same cloth as the guys behind the Cambria that never took off.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 1:41 AM

It's a fugly POS from top to bottom and interacts poorly with the street. Not a big loss IMO.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 12:54 AM

Yea, I'm with ya there. Let's get a whole new project there that is glass. glass. & more glass.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 3:26 AM
James

I do hope something comes out of this. But I agree that the street level is severely lacking.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 4:35 AM
Paradise

I feel everyone with the design and street activity. And there’s something about these developers...

But I’m afraid of the whole scenario of it gets canceled and then it’ll be 10-15 years until something substantial gets proposed there again.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 7:54 PM

This rendering is on the website for B&A Architects. Not sure how old it may be, but certainly not something I have seen before. I like it. Source: https://ba-architects.com/#

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 8:14 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by @sabydesign View Post
This rendering is on the website for B&A Architects. Not sure how old it may be, but certainly not something I have seen before. I like it. Source: https://ba-architects.com/#

Ok ok. I like it.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 8:22 PM

I sure hope this is new.....

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @sabydesign View Post

From Twin Towers back to one tower? It also appears to be more than 24 floors. Anyhow, I like it.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 8:53 PM
JACKinBeantown

I count 28 floors, including garage. So it's in that ballpark anyway.

It's OK looking. I'd rather have an unimpeded view of the Tower Life building looking up the river from Chavez, but such is life.

We'll see if it happens anyway. I mean the stock market is just about in bear country.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 9:46 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

WOW! I really like it. It looks to be in the range of 330' tall!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 9:53 PM

If it is changing to this one tower configuration, then the view of Tower Life from Chavez St will not be blocked. The two tower configuration may result in a partially blocked view. I like the one tower configuration better. I bet Kevin could show that in one of his massing renders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I count 28 floors, including garage. So it's in that ballpark anyway.

It's OK looking. I'd rather have an unimpeded view of the Tower Life building looking up the river from Chavez, but such is life.

We'll see if it happens anyway. I mean the stock market is just about in bear country.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 12:29 AM
Paradise

Not a fan of the color scheme, but it looks like a solid project. Hopefully it gets off the ground.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio