HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 3:40 AM

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
I am assuming things will ramp up quickly to make the 2019 deadline for opening? Between renos and addition, lots of work to do! Nonetheless, exciting to see this project. Hope to see more.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 8:03 PM

^They've ripped up the parking lot/driveway behind the building, so they're definitely in high gear.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 8:13 PM

Groundbreaking move by Hyatt
Chain's first extended-stay hotel in Canada set for Winnipeg
By: Ryan Thorpe
Posted: 06/18/2018 4:00 AM | Last Modified: 06/18/2018 8:49 AM

The Hyatt hotel chain is coming to the city, with an extended-stay location expected to be operating in south Winnipeg by next summer.

A ceremonial groundbreaking was held last week at 700 Sterling Lyon Pkwy.

"I think this represents what’s going on in Winnipeg. It’s a very positive vibe here, lots of development. This whole area has developed out over the last number of years in a very positive way, creating lots of new jobs and amenities for Winnipeggers, and this is a continuation of that," Coun. Marty Morantz said.

The Hyatt House hotel will be a six-storey complex with 135 units. Eighty units will have full kitchens. There will also be 3,500 square feet of meeting space on the main floor, a swimming pool and a gym.

The project has been in the works for 18 months, said developer Anupam Kothari, president of Kothari Group.

"We see a lot of potential in Winnipeg. We felt this area was under-serviced for hotels. This will be an extended-stay location. There are no extended-stay options in south Winnipeg at all," Kothari said.

It will also be the first extended-stay Hyatt operation, which is marketed under the Hyatt House brand, in Canada, as well as the first Hyatt location in Winnipeg. Another Hyatt hotel is in the works in the city, on the 100 block of Portage Avenue.

Scott Richer, Hyatt’s vice-president of real estate and development, said it was time for the company to break into the Winnipeg market, which it considers more stable than other parts of Western Canada.

"This is huge for us. Winnipeg is a major urban centre. It’s an important market for all sorts of reasons. Geographically, it’s important. Economically, I think it’s strategic for us to be here. It’s a gateway to Western Canada," Richer said.

"The city has been doing great. It’s humming along. It never booms and busts like it does out in Alberta. It’s pretty steady here. Year in and year out, it gets its fair share of western prosperity, but it’s also very balanced. The growth in some areas has been astonishing."

The other Hyatt project in Winnipeg is under construction. It will open after the extended-stay location project.

The extended-stay location will feature rooms and amenities traditionally associated more with an apartment or condo than a hotel, Kothari said, which both he and Hyatt hope will help set the branch apart from competitors.

"We’re a 60-year-old company that prides itself on its reputation for quality. We put quality over quantity. It’s going to be very unique. It’s going to be a very upscale experience. But it’s also going to be very approachable, too," Richer said.

Know of any newsworthy or interesting trends or developments in the local office, retail, industrial or multi-family residential sectors? Let us know at business@freepress.mb.ca.

ryan.thorpe@freepress.mb.ca Twitter: @rk_thorpe

Ryan Thorpe

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...485795071.html

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Nice to see this project moving along already. For some reason I wasn't expecting to see any activity until next year. Usually in Winnipeg we read or hear about a development only to find out it might occur at some point or it gets cancelled altogether after a while. Perhaps things are starting to change here after all.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 9:18 PM

I just reads the WCA building reports and it says it's a 4 storey addition and a new entrance on the east side. Construction manager secured and construction starting soon.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
Nice to see this project moving along already. For some reason I wasn't expecting to see any activity until next year. Usually in Winnipeg we read or hear about a development only to find out it might occur at some point or it gets cancelled altogether after a while. Perhaps things are starting to change here after all.
To be fair work has been going on for quite a while, and we've known on here for over a year that this building was being converted to a hotel... it was just magically kept secret that it was going to be a Hyatt for a long time.

It's actually quite impressive Hyatt was able to keep their involvement a secret for so long... people in this city (and on here) talk a LOT. Lol.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
To be fair work has been going on for quite a while, and we've known on here for over a year that this building was being converted to a hotel... it was just magically kept secret that it was going to be a Hyatt for a long time.

It's actually quite impressive Hyatt was able to keep their involvement a secret for so long... people in this city (and on here) talk a LOT. Lol.
I guess I hadn't been paying attention to this one buzzg. Thanks for providing some background on this project. It's definitely good to see Hyatt involved in a redevelopment like this as it not only preserves a heritage aspect but also adds some much needed hotel space downtown. Hopefully when it's completed it will look as good as some of the renderings that we've seen.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:38 PM

I'm still curious about this one. Has the design, as we've seen it on here, been approved? It is listed on the historic inventory - based on the city's comments on what the Pumphouse people are proposing, how is it that that this one is any better from that perspective?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I'm still curious about this one. Has the design, as we've seen it on here, been approved? It is listed on the historic inventory - based on the city's comments on what the Pumphouse people are proposing, how is it that that this one is any better from that perspective?
I don't think the building being expanded for Hyatt Place is really that sensitive from a heritage perspective... it's a pretty plain jane warehouse. The addition will change the look, but it's a far cry from something as distinctive as the Pumphouse and the original design which would have a huge impact on its visibility and appearance.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 5:16 PM

I'm not sure why this would be against the historical designation. They're repurposing an existing building into a functional space. Isn't that what the historical designations are intended to do? Sure they're adding onto it. But the existing building will remain, basically in whole, and be functional. Seems awesome to me.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 5:49 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't think the building being expanded for Hyatt Place is really that sensitive from a heritage perspective... it's a pretty plain jane warehouse. The addition will change the look, but it's a far cry from something as distinctive as the Pumphouse and the original design which would have a huge impact on its visibility and appearance.
It’s an office building rather than a warehouse, at least historically. It was one of several built around Portage Av. East during the boom years that were the Class B buildings of their day. The others are long gone, other than the Scott-Bathgate (Nutty Club) buildings.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 6:42 PM

^ Yes, fair enough. I suppose I'm thinking of its more recent functions which seem somewhat in line with how a lot of Exchange District warehouses have been used. To my eyes it even looks more like a warehouse than an office building. I was actually surprised to learn that it was originally an office.

The bottom line for me is that I don't see the Keewayden Block as such a sensitive heritage building that an expansion like this would be inappropriate. I think the proposal is reasonable.

Does anyone know if the building is protected at all?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm not sure why this would be against the historical designation. They're repurposing an existing building into a functional space. Isn't that what the historical designations are intended to do? Sure they're adding onto it. But the existing building will remain, basically in whole, and be functional. Seems awesome to me.
Well, if you look at the pumphouse thread, there are a number of criteria. This is historically listed so presumably would go through the same process. I for one do not believe that wrapping glass and metal up the side and over the roof of building meets the criteria of blending with the original structure. I'm not opposed to the re-purposing but I don't see how the materials and structure fit in at all. And i don't mean re-creating the exact same structure. I mean creative use of materials and design to blend the new in with the old.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Does anyone know if the building is protected at all?
It was on a list but not sure if a designation was made, the owners requested it not to be.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:
It was on a list but not sure if a designation was made, the owners requested it not to be.
Owners always ask for an exemption. See last sentence below:

This seven-storey brick building on the south side of Portage Avenue East in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Herbert E. Matthews and built by James McDiarmid in 1909 at a cost of $265,000 for the Notre Dame Investment Company. Later transferred into the ownership of the Bank of Nova Scotia, in April 1928 it was sold for $100,000 to the partnership of Benjamin “Ben” Jacob (c1892-1975) and John Henry Crowley (c1889-1963) operating as the Jacob-Crowley Manufacturing Company Limited. It was later renamed the Crowley Building. In February 2017, it became a municipally-designated historic building.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Well, if you look at the pumphouse thread, there are a number of criteria. This is historically listed so presumably would go through the same process. I for one do not believe that wrapping glass and metal up the side and over the roof of building meets the criteria of blending with the original structure. I'm not opposed to the re-purposing but I don't see how the materials and structure fit in at all. And i don't mean re-creating the exact same structure. I mean creative use of materials and design to blend the new in with the old.
I understand where you're coming from. Seems to me this would the exact type of thing this building needs. I think it says they're trying to preserve some of the interior heritage features. Maybe I misread that part.

It's a blend of old and new. I'm happy with it.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 3:13 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgGIyWkWAAcs5eS.jpg
Paul Hesse

@Paul_Hesse
2h2 hours ago
More
Portage and Main Construction Update 3: Future Hyatt Hotel on Portage Avenue East

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 6:33 AM

Michael Petryk on Instagram

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 2:34 PM

^You can see drywalling has already started on some floors facing Portage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan