HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 3:06 PM

Saskatoon Civic Election, 2016

A thread for all things related to the upcoming Civic Election in October.

Things are about to heat up with Coun. Charlie Clark formally announcing his mayoral candidacy next week. Can he unseat Atch? Is he the young, progressive, urban candidate many of us have been wishing for? Our Nenshi or Iveson, if you will. Can he bridge the political spectrum?

Who else might step forward?

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 3:07 PM

City councillor Charlie Clark to announce mayoral bid next week

Andrea Hill, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: May 13, 2016 | Last Updated: May 13, 2016 7:57 AM CST

Quote:
Three-term city councillor Charlie Clark is expected to announce his mayoral bid next week.

Clark, who was widely expected to run, will take on the sitting mayor, Don Atchison, who became Saskatoon’s longest-serving leader last year. No one else has yet announced they will run for the city’s top job in October’s municipal election.

“I’m not surprised Charlie says he’s running,” Atchison said in an interview Thursday.

In a note obtained by the Saskatoon StarPhoenix, Shift Development owner Curtis Olson invites those with whom he’s discussed the future of Saskatoon to contribute to Clark’s campaign and attend Clark’s formal announcement of his bid for mayor on May 18.

Olson writes Saskatoon needs a leader “who can open the door to citizen engagement, new ideas and evolving policies to make our city an amazing and wonderful place” and that he is “taking a very public position” in supporting Clark’s mayoral bid.

Olson and Clark’s campaign team declined to comment in advance of Clark’s formal announcement. Clark did not respond to a request for comment.

First elected to council in 2006, Clark represents Ward 6, which includes the downtown, Nutana, Buena Vista, Varsity View, Grosvenor Park, Haultain and Holliston.

Clark, who has degrees in conflict resolution, education and environmental studies, has pushed for more balanced development in the city instead of almost all growth taking place in the suburbs.

He’s been a vocal advocate for embracing Saskatoon as a winter city, exploring new, more cost-effective ways of policing and investing in active transportation, public art and solar energy.

With Clark and Atchison both appearing on the mayoral ballot, it would be “very surprising” for any other candidate to win, said Joe Garcea, a political studies professor at the University of Saskatchewan’s St. Thomas More College.

“They will both have a very strong organizational base, a strong and loyal base of support and it would be quite difficult for somebody else to run,” he said.

Atchison, who enjoyed comfortable victories in his first two re-election bids, took 52 per cent of the vote in 2012, while agricultural researcher and political newcomer Tom Wolf nabbed 47 per cent.

The race between Atchison and Wolf was largely viewed as one between right and left: Atchison promoted a pro-development platform while Wolf wanted more money diverted to quality-of-life issues.

A race between Atchison and Clark could take on a similar dynamic, Garcea said.

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...-bid-next-week

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 3:29 PM

Clark is 100% the right choice for an urban Saskatoon I suspect he'll easily win the city inside Circle Drive. Outside, that's another story.

This will be the most important election in decades for Saskatoon.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 4:17 PM

Yes. Atch has consistently won outside Circle Drive, while his main opponent has won inside. I think Tom Wolf came so close to catching Atch, in part, because he was able to position himself quite centrally. People were pissed off about the roads last election too, so there was that.

Are people across the spectrum fatigued with Atch? Is it palpable in the city? In my circles it is, but I hang with a certain crowd. Charlie is going to get painted as a leftie - can he position himself as a moderate?

Another thing, if he can lock up inside Circle Drive, and motivate and get people excited to vote that might not have - he can win on GOTV. Inner city wards have embarrassingly low voter turnouts (as does the city as a whole). He has to mobilize his base! And stoke the Anyone But Atch fire.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 1:31 AM

race for mayor

The biggest thing I give Atch credit for is that he has made decisions and got things done unlike previous administrations. Whether you agree with the things he has done or not (and I don't always agree) he made a decision. Such as Gathercole building, south bridge etc.

I wouldn't mind a new mayor but not Charlie Clark. So if it is a choice between the two I for one will vote for Atch.

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 11:47 PM

I hope that the folks of Saskatoon don't have to put up with, yet, ANOTHER term of Atch.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter12 View Post
The biggest thing I give Atch credit for is that he has made decisions and got things done unlike previous administrations. Whether you agree with the things he has done or not (and I don't always agree) he made a decision. Such as Gathercole building, south bridge etc.
I would very much agree with the statement above.

I was at the council meeting where the fate of the Gathercole Centre was decided. After a couple hours of presentations of potential adaptive re-uses of the facility and much discussion & debate, it appeared that council was split. My impression was that slightly more councilors were in favour of saving the old building. Council then took an in camera break. Upon their return to chambers, council voted (nearly unanimously, as I recall) to demolish the Gathercole building. It seemed clear that Atch had basically told them all that he wanted that building torn down and that was what was going to happen.

So while you can argue about the wisdom of that and many other decisions made during Atch's time as mayor, there is no denying that he makes decisions and gets things done. That being said, I think that people have grown tired of him and that Clark will be our next mayor.

The development of River Landing Village (Parcel Y) has taken too long for Atch to see that become his legacy project. He'll have to settle for South Circle Drive Bridge being named after him.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 7:30 PM

In room full of supporters, city councillor Charlie Clark confirms mayoral bid

Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: May 18, 2016 | Last Updated: May 18, 2016 12:50 PM CST

Quote:
Saying “we have to get the basics right,” three-term city councillor Charlie Clark is entering the race for mayor in Saskatoon.

Clark, 42, confirmed Wednesday that he will take on sitting mayor Don Atchison, who last year became Saskatoon’s longest-serving leader. Voters head to the polls Oct. 24.

With hundreds of enthusiastic supporters — including his mother, who flew in from Kelowna for the announcement — cheering his every word, Clark said all the elements are in place for Saskatoon to become a “model prairie city for the 21st century” but that it won’t happen “without progressive leadership in the mayor’s chair.”

He listed four foundations of his campaign: efficient services that deliver value for tax dollars; growth that pays for itself and improves transportation choices; attracting investment, innovation and good jobs; and safe and connected neighbourhoods.

“Saskatoon has a choice. Do we want smarter growth, a thriving core, and better services? Or do we continue down our current path and make the mistakes of other sprawling Prairie cities: citizens sit in traffic, infrastructure becomes unmanageable and costs escalate?” he said in a prepared statement.

“I believe we can be a model city for tomorrow that will enhance our quality of life and bring people together.”

In a note obtained last week by The Saskatoon StarPhoenix, Shift Development owner Curtis Olson invited people to contribute to Clark’s campaign, saying Saskatoon needs a leader “who can open the door to citizen engagement, new ideas and evolving policies to make our city an amazing and wonderful place.”

Clark, who was first elected to council 10 years ago, represents Ward 6, which covers Buena Vista, Grosvenor Park, Haultain, Holliston, Nutana, Varsity View and the downtown. If he were to be elected mayor, Clark would become the youngest to hold the position since Sid Buckwold was elected in 1958 at the age of 41.

Clark will go head-to-head with Atchison, who last fall, on his 4,384th day on the job, became the longest-serving mayor in the city’s history. After a highly-contested 2003 election, Atchison was easily voted back into office his next two campaigns. In 2012, he received 52 per cent of the vote, while relatively-unknown agricultural researcher and political newcomer Tom Wolf received 47 per cent.

“I’m not surprised Charlie says he’s running,” Atchison said in an interview last week. “He expresses his point of view, I express mine and that’s it.”

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...ms-mayoral-bid

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 11:21 PM

Saskatoon probably needs to clean house of its current council members, they have stalled far too many projects.. Atchison on the other hand has done more to spur growth and fiscal responsibility than probably all the other mayors prior in the last few decades when infrastructure was falling apart and needing to be torn down..

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 9:51 PM

after hearing what clark is running on and now Dayday thinking of running again looks like I am forced to vote for Atch

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:36 PM

So far there are 3 open ward races:

Ward 6 - Clark (running for Mayor)
Ward 8 - Olauson (elected as MLA)
Ward 9 - Paulsen (retiring)

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 4:18 PM

Mayor confirms he will not be attending 2016 Pride Parade

By Carly Robinson
Associate Producer Global News

Quote:
The Saskatoon Pride Festival is just weeks away, and in the past Saskatoon Mayor Don Atchison’s absence from the Pride parade had people talking. Once again, scheduling will keep the mayor from attending the event.

Mayor Atchison tells Global News that though he will be unable to attend the 2016 Pride Parade, he will be present at other festival events such as the Gaybourhood family barbecue. “We attend some of their events,” says Mayor Don Atchison, adding “we can’t make it to everything.”

This year Saskatoon’s Pride Parade falls on Saturday June 11, a day Atchison says he will be celebrating his father’s 90th birthday.

“I think there are a lot of priorities in life,” says Atchison, “and as a matter of fact I can tell you right now my father is celebrating his 90th birthday, and I think my dad’s 90th birthday takes priority over everything.”

“And if people have a problem with me celebrating my dad’s 90th birthday, too bad for them. Because my dad’s a special guy, he’s 90 years old and I don’t know how much longer he’ll be with us. He’s a great man and he deserves to have that day too.”

Atchison says there are priorities throughout the city of Saskatoon. “I find it interesting, people who don’t show up to the Friendship Inn Christmas lunch, they don’t serve there so does that mean they don’t like people who can’t get Christmas dinner at home?”

[....]
http://globalnews.ca/news/2721163/ma...medium=twitter

^ The crap that spews from this guy's mouth. It's embarrassing.

The Mayor will attend the Pride BBQ so that he can grab a burger and go before "they" get too close.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 7:38 PM

Dayday runs for mayor

I guess Henry has forgotten that we were so fed up with his administration that he finished 3rd when we booted him out.

His administration was famous for sitting on the fence and trying to please everyone. In the end little got done.

A lot of our infrastructure deficit is a result of his administration not wanting to spend 2 cents. We could (and should) have built the south bridge when Henry was mayor. Considering where construction costs have gone (tripled or more) we could have built that project for half to a third the cost. Projects that are been planned right now would have been completed years ago at a fraction of the cost had it not been for the delays in Henry's administration.

Well Henry, you complain about the cost of the art gallery but the money we could have saved on the south bridge would build the entire gallery.

I was so glad to see you go in 2000 and wish the same fate for you in 2016.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 12:03 AM

So, who is Dayday going to be stealing votes from. He's considered old establishment, so could take votes from Atch. But he's also more left-leaning, so could take votes from Clark. Curious to see if he has any impact at all.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 2:10 AM

Dayday is one of the most right wing mayors we've ever had.

He essentially destroyed infrastructure in his tenure by aggressively cutting spending. The City still hasn't recovered fully.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 2:34 PM

Dayday and infastructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Dayday is one of the most right wing mayors we've ever had.

He essentially destroyed infrastructure in his tenure by aggressively cutting spending. The City still hasn't recovered fully.
You nailed it jigglysquishy. With the cheap cost of building infrastructure back then compared to today we could, and would, have had far better roads. We have been trying to catch up ever since and are paying a huge cost for his mismanagement and lack of foresight.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:10 PM

Atchison, Clark in dead heat in Saskatoon mayoral race: poll

Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: August 3, 2016 | Last Updated: August 3, 2016 8:23 AM CST

Quote:
Mayor Don Atchison and Coun. Charlie Clark are virtually tied in support among Saskatoon voters, with former mayor Henry Dayday close behind, according to a poll commissioned by The StarPhoenix.

The Mainstreet Research/Postmedia Network Inc. telephone poll showed respondents favoured Atchison over Clark 29 per cent to 26 per cent, although the difference is within the poll’s margin of error.

Dayday, who has sharply criticized the current council in his campaign, attracted the support of 15 per cent as their first choice. Only four per cent said they want to vote for someone other than the three candidates, but more than a quarter said they were undecided.

The poll of 803 residents, conducted July 27 and 28, is considered accurate within 3.46 per cent, 19 times out of 20. Voters were asked who they would support if the Oct. 26 election was held today.

David Valentin, executive vice-president of Mainstreet, said the poll can be seen as good news for Clark.

“Right now, name recognition is playing a larger role than it might as the election gets closer,” Valentin said in an interview. “The fact that (Clark is) getting so much (support) right now suggests there’s potential for an upset.”

Atchison has been mayor for 13 years, the longest tenure in the city’s history, while Clark has been councillor for Ward 6 for 10 years. Dayday was mayor for 12 years, from 1988 to 2000.

When asked about their second choice for mayor, 47 per cent of respondents with a first choice said they were undecided. Dayday led the declared candidates as second choice with 17 per cent, followed by Atchison (14 per cent) and Clark (12 per cent).

“It doesn’t seem there’s a lot of appetite for another candidate,” Valentin said. “Right now, it’s more of a two-way race than a three-way race.”

There’s little difference in support for the candidates based on voters’ gender, according to the poll.

Perhaps surprisingly, Atchison, 63, leads Clark, 42, among respondents aged 18 to 34 (39 per cent to 30 per cent), while Clark maintains a slight lead among people over 65.

Clark and Atchison are tied for support at 28 per cent among people aged 35 to 49, the same demographic where Dayday, 76, receives his largest support at 20 per cent.

Valentin warned that counting on the support of younger voters could be dangerous.

“These are the people who are least likely to vote,” he said. “We’ve seen in many elections, the youth vote doesn’t actually show up.”

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...yors-race-poll

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 8:10 PM

2 comments.

1. There's still time for others to enter the race.

Quote:
Valentin warned that counting on the support of younger voters could be dangerous.

“These are the people who are least likely to vote,” he said. “We’ve seen in many elections, the youth vote doesn’t actually show up.”
I think there needs to be a mobilization of all voters, not just youth. For how many complainers there appear to be out there, voter turnout certainly doesn't reflect it.

Voter Turnout

2012 - 36.86%

2009 - 27.32%

2006 - 37.1 %

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 8:22 PM

As I expected, we have another candidate running for mayor with some very impressive credentials:

Kelley Moore

http://moore4mayor.ca/

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W. La Chance View Post
As I expected, we have another candidate running for mayor with some very impressive credentials:

Kelley Moore

http://moore4mayor.ca/
this is shaping up to be an interesting election:

You have Atchison, whom everyone knows and either dislikes or dislikes him more.

Clark who is against the way the city has been growing despite being on council the last 2 terms, and partially responsible for it, I'm interested to learn what his actual platform is, haven't really heard anything except that he's an alternative to Atchison.

Dayday, same as Atchison.

Moore, who seems to be in the anti-development camp, reading her interview in the neighbourhood express, is opposed to the south downtown...still, even though the ship has sailed. Just an aside, her partner in business and life is Lenore Sywstun.
Do you think it is coincidence that on the same day as her announcement the heritage society tries to stake claim to the 3rd Ave united church?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan