HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 2:24 PM

Quote:

Best of luck to anyone living on the rivers.
Thanks.. we have our flotation devices prepared..

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 3:19 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Best of luck to anyone living on the rivers.
No sweat. I have lots of rope and the right attitude.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
No sweat. I have lots of rope and the right attitude.
Hey River...Any good deals on synthetic lines? I think we're gonna need it this year..lol

http://powerboat.about.com/od/smallb...Boatline_4.htm

We've got a lot of rot and mildew on the red....

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 6:19 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

No idea. I order all my line by the roll wholesale. I make my own docklines, I learned to splice line during my short stint on the left coast.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 7:00 PM

Got me thier, atlantic coast..loved peggy's cove,Cabot Trail,NS.. I got all my training in scouts,lol reef knot, splice..I think I have a badge too..

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 9:19 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i think plans should be made for getting peoples houses mold ready incase of flooding

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 10:11 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
i think plans should be made for getting peoples houses mold ready incase of flooding
Go ahead, start planning.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 3:01 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

already got what i need to be ready

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 6:47 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i don't get why the city still has to sand bag....if you haven't made a permanent solution to flooding by this point, you kind of deserve it....do we intend to do this forever?

Just noticed this ignorant post. For your information the city doesn't sandbag homes - homeowners are responsible for building dykes on their property.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 7:05 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Just noticed this ignorant post. For your information the city doesn't sandbag homes - homeowners are responsible for building dykes on their property.
I would have to argue with you on the point that the City doesn't sandbag homes. In 2009 along Bonner in NK the City sandbagged a bunch of houses. They even went as far as to bulldoze a homeowners fence when he wouldn't let them dismantle it to run the dyke through his backyard. I know this because i was there. A dyke is only good if there are no holes in it, so leaving a property open leaves every one open to flooding.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 7:19 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Argue all you want. I've been involved with every flood protection operation in some way since the mid 80s and it is not city policy to sandbag private property. Was you saw could have been at a border between public/private or a homeowner who was being unreasonable. If the city had to go and dyke one private property to protect another that property would pay through the nose. If the homeowner won't let a dyke crew on their property the police would get involved.

These are special circumstances. Normally the homeowner is responsible for protecting their property.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 8:29 PM

Here is what the city required sandbagged in 2011
http://winnipeg.ca/emergweb/2011Floo...ions110330.pdf

And at this time here is the initial sandbagging plan for 2013 (which will change as the river lever is better known)
http://www.winnipeg.ca/emergweb/2013...gLocations.pdf

There is no information available for 2012 so I can't post any map for sandbag locations.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 8:51 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Argue all you want. I've been involved with every flood protection operation in some way since the mid 80s and it is not city policy to sandbag private property. Was you saw could have been at a border between public/private or a homeowner who was being unreasonable. If the city had to go and dyke one private property to protect another that property would pay through the nose. If the homeowner won't let a dyke crew on their property the police would get involved.

These are special circumstances. Normally the homeowner is responsible for protecting their property.
The police were involved and ensured that the man stay back as the bobcat plowed through his fence so they could lay a tiger tube or whatever they are called. I guess it was a special circumstance then.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 3:37 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I was in Brandon today, and already they started sandbagging with the big sandbags along 18th Street right at the intersection with Grand Valley Road. I wish I took pics, but I was driving.

They really don't want to take any chances this year.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 2:20 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Here is what the city required sandbagged in 2011
http://winnipeg.ca/emergweb/2011Floo...ions110330.pdf
Note the title of the map - Potential. Very little if any dykes were required in 2011. We did plan to dyke but it wasn't needed and no sandbags were delivered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
There is no information available for 2012 so I can't post any map for sandbag locations.
In the spring of 2012 the river didn't even reach normal summer level until the dam was closed.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 7:19 PM

26 Winnipeg homeowners advised to build sandbag dikes

Owners of 26 low-lying Winnipeg properties - almost all in the south extreme in the city - will be advised to build sandbag dikes as a precaution against elevated Red River levels in April.
Since the 1997 Flood of the Century, which saw the Red crest at a post-floodway-construction record of 24.5 feet James, there have been nine spring floods in 14 years.

Hull urged Winnipeggers to reassure newcomers to the city that the primary threat during flood seasons is overland runoff, not rising river levels.

Read more at @: By: Bartley Kives Posted: 03/28/2013 10:33 AM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...200441341.html

Get ur sandbags here.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 6:22 PM

Riverwalk along Red shut down after dark

Flooding concerns at The Forks has prompted the riverwalk along the Red River to be closed daily at dusk.

Parks Canada announced this morning that lighting along the portion of the riverwalk that runs through its property has been removed on a temporary basis in anticipation of spring flooding in the area, making walking there difficult.

By: Staff Writer Posted: 9:36 AM Wpg.Free Press
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spe...204284421.html

wow...Big Surprise.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 9:27 PM

Whew! Risk of major deluge way down

Winnipeggers may have cursed the frigid April weather, but the experts tasked with predicting and battling a looming major flood might have been forgiven if they had performed the occasional high-five.

By: Larry Kusch Posted: 1:00 AM WFP
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...204992431.html

Posted this on another site but really all I wanted to do is add this picture and see how one of our major trade route to the US/In the billions will only be closed down for apprx: 3 weeks. Only 3 weeks that's good to here right? (yes i know major proposals are in the works to overcome this decades old problem)

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 10:29 PM

I try to walk on the river walk at least a few times a week. So in saying that, yesterday I went for a stroll along the walkway on the way home from my dads place in St. B. The water was a good six feet below the walkway, and at points 15 feet away from its riverside edge. Here it is today. I really hate this walkway. I love it, but I really do hate it. Sorry, just frustrated, s'all. It could be so beautiful. But like everything else the city has let it fall into disrepair (Annual mud clean up excluded). Not to mention the constant smashed beer and whisky bottles, litter etc. Every night that I walk on it I clean up litter as I go along. And every day following there is more remnants from parties. The giant Tyndall stone is poorly placed as well, constantly shifting and sliding, on the muddy path.

Sorry for the negativity, but as I said, I am really frustrated right now.

My picture.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 10:42 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

is there still an ice jam in the harbour? there was one when i was there at 2 in the morning partying with 150 hipster cyclsits

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan