HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks to one and all for pinpointing the location of the photograph I posted that turned out to be
the T-intersection of Orlando and Santa Monica Blvd. This was truly a community effort.
__

Here's another mini-mystery, the McDaniel's Midnight Market circa 1938.

Perhaps we've seen this open-air building before, but i don't recall this particular name....McDaniel's M M.

__
Looked for it in 30s LA directories, didn't find it because it wasn't in Los Angeles:

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 6:01 AM

Scanning aerials on East Main Street in Alhambra, there are several possible candidates for this building, but they all have a different look on the front so there's no telling if any of them is the one from the old photo.

EDIT: I located another mention of McDaniel's Midnight Market from a 1931 newspaper ad, which places it at 110 East Main Street. Now the site of a shopping center with clearly much newer buildings.

Last edited by ProphetM; Jan 14, 2014 at 6:12 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
Looked for it in 30s LA directories, didn't find it because it wasn't in Los Angeles:
I was mislead.

...Alhambra is only 8 miles due east of the Los Angeles Civic Center...so the seller was close.
__

This sign is interesting.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 14, 2014 at 9:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 7:13 PM

...and this.
ebay
Has anyone heard of this hot springs before? (it looks like some pretty healthy horses just walked by )
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 14, 2014 at 9:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
Scanning aerials on East Main Street in Alhambra, there are several possible candidates for this building, but they all have a different look on the front so there's no telling if any of them is the one from the old photo.

EDIT: I located another mention of McDaniel's Midnight Market from a 1931 newspaper ad, which places it at 110 East Main Street. Now the site of a shopping center with clearly much newer buildings.
I'm guessing that ProphetM is talking about this advert.

newspaperarchive.com

I found another advert from 1934 that mentions a store in Baldwin Park. There's a phone number, but no address.

newspaperarchive.com

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 8:42 PM

Three tiers of Victorian elegance.

ebay

porch detail

hmmm..is Hamilton the name of the place or the street?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 14, 2014 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:01 PM

Another Jade souvenir photo/folder,

-but this one includes a glimpse of the art work inside the nightclub.

...as well as this information on the reverse (missing from my earlier post).

Four different bar areas! It sounds like an enormous place. I can't remember, have we seen the exterior before on noirish ?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:15 PM

ebay

the seller writes

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:22 PM

McDaniel's Midnight Market(s)

I am hoping the Alhambra McMM location was in e_r's photo because of the very noir 1930 holdup story.

The 1947 Baldwin Park directory has:
McDaniel's Market R A Faiman mgr 108 E Ramona BP
but no Shaw's beauty salon is listed.

A 1931 Sanborn map of BP:

...compared with the ad found by ProphetM and HossC suggests the streets were renamed between 1931 and 1934. But there is no structure at what would have been the 100 block of E. Ramona in 1931.

The street alignment is more or less the same today:

...although the numbering is different.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:39 PM

Interesting Lorendoc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
1963 - The old Elk's Lodge, now the Royal Hotel (in blue!)

http://cdm16003.contentdm.oclc.org/c...id/6294/rec/29
This is such an excellent find FredH! (-as were the other color photographs you posted)

Here's the Elk's Lodge in it's glory days.
snapshot/ebay
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/prin...&pp=50&page=58
__

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 10:05 PM

unique key chain

ebay

ebay

__

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_in_Texas View Post
TETSU quite a story about the Forthman property and the fact the founder of the L.A. Soap company rode to work in a horse drawn carriage up until the time he died. A bit eccentric?

It would be interesting to see what exact 15 acres of the downtown L.A. area the buildings of the L.A. Soap company occupied until its closing in 1988.

I can't resist commenting for the benefit of old building preservationist about the cost of renovation of aging buildings to code being what actually put the company under, with perhaps a bit of foggy headed management not realizing it would have been to the company's benefit to simply sell the real estate and build a new facility elsewhere. Boneheaded thinking all the way around cost L.A. an employer and the existence of a business that was around the turn of the 20th Century among the city's larger employers.

If one is a real history nut, as I tend to be at times, there is more quite interesting coverage of Bergin and the Soap company. I found it interesting that his nephew that succeeded him with the company was from an East Texas town that was about 20 miles from where I grew up and was home to Ladybird Johnson to the time she married LBJ. Checkout A History of California and an Extended History of Los Angeles and Environs ..., Volume 3
By James Miller Guinn
. It's online in google books.
A really fascinating story indeed. Especially since the LA Soap Co. remained all the way into the late 80's. I think the article you shared mentioned their factory being at the corner of 1st & Alameda, where the Little Tokyo Gold Line station is now. Makes sense, as I have a picture in my collection (that has been posted here before) which indicates 633 E. 1st Street as an address.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
A really fascinating story indeed. Especially since the LA Soap Co. remained all the way into the late 80's. I think the article you shared mentioned their factory being at the corner of 1st & Alameda, where the Little Tokyo Gold Line station is now. Makes sense, as I have a picture in my collection (that has been posted here before) which indicates 633 E. 1st Street as an address.
Following my last post on the L.A. Soap Co. I ran into conflicting info on their site which reflected there was 15 buildings on three acres not a 15 acre site. I also ran into a interesting newspaper article on the "farewell" party given Bergin just prior to taking what was to be a vacation trip to his native Ireland. The article listed the surnames of dozens of men and women whom I suspect would have been among the "movers and shakers" of 1880s-1890s Los Angeles. I thought about posting the article and challenging the participants here to locate their individual homes along with possibly pictures. And before I forget, Bergin fell ill in Ireland and passed away there.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Three tiers of Victorian elegance.

ebay
I was looking through various picture archives earlier, searching for a completely different subject, when I recognized a thumbnail for the picture below. It's part of one of two sets that are titled "Harringtons’ Yosemite camping party photographs, 1901". There are 18 pictures in each set. Most of the pictures show scenes of Yosemite and various campsites along the way. Unfortunately, while a lot of the pictures have a hand-written note on them, there's nothing to indicate a location of this one. The tree growth and larger building to the right indicate that it was taken a few years after the picture above.

California State Library

This picture is from the other set. It comes with the tag "Hamilton Lodging House", but gives no other clues. Just above the bicycle there's a sign reading "Furnished Rooms". I wonder who Grace was.

California State Library

To see all the pictures, go to the California State Library website, click "Picture Catalog" and search for "yosemite camping party". Here's a selection of the other pictures (off topic, I know, but fun).

California State Library

California State Library

California State Library

California State Library

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 1:09 AM

Quote:
ebay
Has anyone heard of this hot springs before? (it looks like some pretty healthy horses just walked by )
It looks like this one is outside of Los Angeles, like over 1,000 miles outside of Los Angeles! The Alhambra Hot Springs in the photo were between Butte and Helena in Montana. The caption says "Alhambra Hot Springs Advertisement, April 19, 1908, Anaconda Standard".

www.gnry.net/Chuck Hatler

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 1:24 AM

Hollywood's Detroit Connection

We've had several posts regarding Don Lee and Don Lee Cadillac Corp. located at W. 7th Ave. and S. Bixel St. in downtown Los Angeles. but there is a lot more to that story.

In 1919 Don Lee Cadillac Corp. purchased the Earl Automobile Works plant at 1320 S. Main St., and with it came a young Harley J. Earl, the son of the Earl Automotive Works founder. Harley Earl was hired away from Don Lee in 1927 and went on to become head of the GM Design Studio in Detroit. No single individual had as great an influence on automotive designs in the 20th Century as Harley Earl who ran GM's Design Studio until he retired in 1958. His first design for GM was the 1927 LaSalle. His last came out in 1959 after his retirement and was perhaps the most flamboyant Cadillac ever with it's aircraft rudder like fins. (side note: Several European countries actually outlawed the 1959 Cadillac after several bicyclist managed to impale themselves on the fins)

Below is what appears to be a drawing of the Earl Automotive Works building at 1320 S. Main St.

from http://www.coachbuilt.com

This building was purchased by the John B. Brokaw Auto & Body Co. in 1922 and operated as a Coach Works until Brokaw's death in 1926.

As it appeared when auctioned 10/9/2012

Last edited by Retired_in_Texas; Jan 15, 2014 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:10 AM
BANNED

Ice water.....

Quote:
Another Jade souvenir photo/folder,

-but this one includes a glimpse of the art work inside the nightclub.

Four different bar areas! It sounds like an enormous place. I can't remember, have we seen the exterior before on noirish ?
I noticed the water glasses. They're Georgian style....very common in that era. Here are some from my personal collection.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Thanks to my fellow collaborators for nailing the Orlando Avenue location. This one was a real joint effort. ProphetM, I'm kicking myself for not checking the reverse angle on the aerial view to find those hidden roof details, but I'll get over it . Great work by everyone involved.

--------------------

We have seen the Moore Cliff Apartments before:

Here's a close-up from the top picture. BTW. the sign in the middle of Hill Street just says "Danger Excavation".

Detail of photo at USC Digital Library

A couple a pictures from other angles:
Gang -- These boulder stair remains led up to the El Moro Hotel which was on the adjoining property above the MooreCliffe . Originally was one of the earliest large hilltop homes. See USC collection or onbunkerhill.org (page259x222) It was enlarged back into Olive Court in it's hotel period.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 4:00 AM

Montrose - La Canada flooding - 1934

It all started out badly on January 1st:

L.A. Times

L.A. Times

L.A. Times

L.A. Times

Then they got hit again on October 17th:

L.A. Times

Now here is a guy you have to admire:

He got flooded out in January, 1934:

L.A. Times

He got flooded out again in October, 1934:

L.A. Times

December, 1934 - He is not only back in business again, but ready for the next flood:

L.A. Times

Last edited by FredH; Jan 15, 2014 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:36 AM

E_r, could you tell me how and where you located this on eBay?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos