HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoVerde View Post
I went there once as a kid when they lead fuel was still in use. It was awful -- never went back. The freeway proximity was disturbing, even as a kid. It must have been so nice before the freeway. The pool itself is very nice and designed for young children. It is four feet at its deepest.
I visited L. A. for the first time as a kid in 1955. I still remember how the air made my eyes sting.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 6:51 PM

ebay

today
GSV

I was startled by the amount of trash along the street out front. Yes, that's a discarded box-spring by the utility pole.
GSV

GSV

__

Up the block near 9th there are a couple interesting homes.
GSV

This amazing structure is surrounded by a fence topped with razor-barbed wire. (southeast corner Westlake and 9th)
GSV

It looks like it's under siege. -Anyone know the history of this residence?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 7, 2014 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 10:01 PM

LAX enters the space age with it's high tech push-button information device.

ebay
Model Ann Jacobsen demonstrates
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 7, 2014 at 10:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Anyone have info on the "Night Mayor" of Hollywood?

I recently bought an artist portfolio of over 100 portrait drawings by Hollywood artist Philip A Ramus at an Abell estate auction in Los Angeles. All of the drawings are dated from the 1920s and 1930s. A lot of them look like Hollywood actors and actresses. Thought this one of "Smoke" B. Turner (Night Mayor of Hollywood) was interesting. It's dated 1932. I can't figure out who Smoke B. Turner is (other than the night mayor).

my photo

The artist Philip A Ramus was one of the founders of the Hollywood School of Art, which I also can't find much information about. This hand-painted sign was also in the portfolio lot.

my photo

Found this ad from 1948 about the Hollywood School of Art, which is probably ten years or so after it was founded, but can't find much else about the school. Think they mostly trained commercial artists and cartoonists. The ad does show an address on Hollywood Blvd.

found on flickr
"Smoke" Turner was Bowditch Morton Turner, an actor in the late teens and early 20s. A motion picture directory from that time lists him in 1919 and again in 1920.
He was born in Cumberland, Maryland (according to the directory) in 1878. Actually, according to his WWI draft registration, he was born on August 8, 1877. He died in los Angeles in 1933 according to "Who Was Who on Screen. Third edition. By Evelyn Mack Truitt. New York: R.R. Bowker, 1983."

When he registered for the draft in WWI his address is listed as 1620 Formosa Avenue, Los Angeles. That registration card indicates that he was of medium height, with a slender build, with gray eyes and black hair. Apparently he only had one eye,(there goes his chance of being drafted).

IMBD list him as being in one movie "Are All Men Alike" in 1920, but there were apparently others as well in the teens and twenties, including "Scaramouche" and the "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse".

In 1922 he went to Hawaii. The ship manifest lists his permanent address at that time as the "Christie Hotel" in Hollywood, located at Hollywood Blvd and McCadden Place.

He was apparently a character actor so I can't find any specific pictures of him.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 10:12 PM

I love that kitschy ad for the Hollywood School of Art. It looks like you purchased a pretty interesting artist portfolio mdiederi
__

ebay

I believe the sign on the apartment building says Whitehall Court.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 8, 2014 at 12:19 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

ebay

today
GSV

I was startled by the amount of trash along the street out front. Yes, that's a discarded box-spring by the utility pole.
GSV

GSV

__

GSV

This amazing structure is surrounded by a fence topped with razor-barbed wire. (southeast corner Westlake and 9th)
GSV

__
According to the assessor's office, the structure at 900 S. Westlake was built initially in 1902 and then remodeled in 1930. It is lot 1 Block B of the South Bonne Brae tract. It has five bedrooms and two bathrooms, according to the real estate listings.

If we could find the name of someone else who lived in the area we could find who lived there in the census records, but alas......

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 11:28 PM

"Westlake Park our front Yard."

ebay

ebay

modernized interior.
ebay

new logo

ebay

The Palms Wilshire Hotel today.
GSV

new name
GSV

gutted interior

http://www.lahousingpartnership.com/...OnThePark.html

from this...

to this.

__

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
ebay

I believe the sign on the apartment building says Whitehall Court.
Whitehall Court was at 722 S Bixel. Here it is from the other side. This is yet another detail of the ever-giving USC Cityscape photo. In the bottom right corner, the Hotel Gotham at 975 Ingraham is just visible (see post #10968 for e_r's postcard view).

Detail of photo at USC Digital Library

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 12:57 AM
BANNED

The March of Time

Quote:

ebay

today
GSV

GSV

GSV

__

GSV

GSV

__
Thirty-five years ago I traveled all over Mexico. At that time I was shocked by the amount of barbed wire surrounding homes.

At that time there was none of that in Los Angeles.

Today in Los Angeles we see more and more heavily guarded homes surrounded by fences topped by barbed wire.

Interesting...eh.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 1:16 AM

Thirty-five years ago you couldn't breathe in Los Angeles. Things in the city weren't great on a lot of levels. But the city is booming now--just take a look at the old downtown, fast becoming at least as good as it was in the '50s, if with a different purpose--who'd have thought it would come back from its sorry state of 35 years ago? Great times to be living in L.A. It's the best of times, it's the worst of times, as Dickens might have put it.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jan 8, 2014 at 1:45 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 1:45 AM

Quote:
"Westlake Park our front Yard."

__

According to the Times of January 25, 1925, a large house at 626 S Alvarado had just been moved to the corner of Lake and Miramar (I looked--no longer there); the assessor lists the hotel as having been built in 1924.

A little Palms Wilshire noir...

LAT Dec 4, 1935/March 19, 1936

LAT Dec 11, 1947

Los Angeles Times

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Thirty-five years ago I traveled all over Mexico. At that time I was shocked by the amount of barbed wire surrounding homes.

At that time there was none of that in Los Angeles.

Today in Los Angeles we see more and more heavily guarded homes surrounded by fences topped by barbed wire.

Interesting...eh.
We get it CityBoyDoug, you blame it all on illegal aliens...i.e. Mexicans.

..but it isn't that simple, for a generation now the rich have become richer while the poor remain buried in poverty.
What can one expect from a society of haves and haves not?
__

I'm sorry I posted the photo of the littered street.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 8, 2014 at 2:46 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 2:43 AM

"spring..sprang..sprung."

old file of mine

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 8, 2014 at 2:59 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 2:57 AM

Questionable Taste in Float Design

Hey sorry I meant to post this photo last week, but I couldn't find it then. This is the City of South Gate's entry in the 1940 Rose Parade:

LAPL -- http://jpg1.lapl.org/00101/00101850.jpg

A float honoring Will Rogers and Wiley Post is fine, but including the plane they crashed and died in seems a little odd. The front of the float says "20th Century Pioneers."

BTW, in the background is the Holliston Methodist Church, located at 1305 E. Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 2:58 AM
I Like Turtles!

Even Litter Tells an Important Story.

Quote:

But it isn't that simple, for a generation now the rich have become richer while the poor remain buried in poverty.
__

Ethereal_reality, I, for one, am glad that you posted the shots of the litter. In case no one else noticed, the word 'reality' is part of your handle. And the litter is a telling reminder of where we have come as a society. The juxtaposition of the litter and razor wire in a neighborhood that once oozed dignity and charm, points out a societal problem....not an ethnic problem. It is, in fact, the reality of where Los Angeles (and my home of Albany, NY, and every city in the U.S) currently stands. I'm as guilty as the next person. I walk right past litter on the sidewalk without the faintest thought of picking it up. This forum is always fascinating for it's glimpses into what once was, and the comparisons to what is. Like it or not, litter is now part of the landscape (literally)....and our legacy to our children. Keep up the good work ethereal_reality!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 3:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:

..but it isn't that simple, for a generation now the rich have become richer while the poor remain buried in poverty.
__

I've traveled to Australia twice over a 25 year time-frame. The city of Sydney, Australia is covered with graffiti and the streets are littered with trash. Homeless abound everywhere.

There's no Mexicans to speak of in Australia.

France and many parts of western Europe are inundated with illegal immigrants....few if any are Mexicans....most are from Eastern Europe.

The problem is not so much the haves and have nots. The problem is that there are not enough jobs.....even in a rich country like the US.

Recently an ice cream company in MD offered openings of 36 jobs.....1,600 applied.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 4:01 AM

I couldn't find previous posts about Ry Cooder's excellent short stories of fiction from a book title: 'Los Angeles Stories' , check it out here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Stories. I received as a gift, so far I'm into the 2nd story, I like, cover photo is from a Old Bunker Hill residence.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 6:54 AM

how bad it was!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
I visited L. A. for the first time as a kid in 1955. I still remember how the air made my eyes sting.
It’s hard to get younger folks to understand just how bad the smog was in LA during the fifty’s. I remember day upon day after my Junior High School gym classes, trying to breathe after strenuous exercise and feeling the pain deep in my throat and down deep in my lunges. It was just awful and sometimes I wonder why my generation doesn’t have more repertory problems. And of course few schools were air-conditioned in those days, so even just sitting in class on a hot and smoggy day subjected us to the fowl air. Compared to then, today is heaven.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Thirty-five years ago you couldn't breathe in Los Angeles. Things in the city weren't great on a lot of levels. But the city is booming now--just take a look at the old downtown, fast becoming at least as good as it was in the '50s, if with a different purpose--who'd have thought it would come back from its sorry state of 35 years ago? Great times to be living in L.A. It's the best of times, it's the worst of times, as Dickens might have put it.
GW, you are right...35 years ago and longer...there was a lot to be concerned about...today the noir is not visible and yes some areas are run-down and poor, but compared to some other cities we're not so bad off. Do we need to work harder? Sure do, but at least the awful smog I mention in another post today is so much better. A job well done I think.

BTW, these conversations back and forth should always try to be constructive…sometimes I read comments that I interpret one way while others may see differently. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen anyone’s comments that were meant to degrade others…just based on the circumstances they may have been exposed to. I too saw homes in Mexico that were surrounded by barbed wire, and this was in 1957. A truly bizarre and unforgettable exposure to my young eyes.

Last edited by belmont bob; Jan 8, 2014 at 7:24 AM. Reason: just my ten-cents worth....

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 8:40 AM

Yee Mee Loo matches

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos