HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:02 AM

They have a few other photos on their site. I don't actually dislike the current plans Zachry has for Hemisfair, but this would've really been something special:

Last edited by micahinsa; Feb 9, 2018 at 5:18 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
They have a few other photos on their site. I don't actually dislike the currently plans Zachry has for Hemisfair, but this would've really been something special:

This is incredibly beautiful. This should have been San Antonio's future! So, what is the current design by Zachry?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
This is incredibly beautiful. This should have been San Antonio's future! So, what is the current design by Zachry?

It's just the photos that are on the first page of the thread:

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 7:27 AM

Quote:
It's just the photos that are on the first page of the thread:

I like how the first designs from, I am guessing from the little research I did, 2015 don't completely block out the Palacio del rio riverwalk. Overall, I feel the first design is much better. it gives more park to the area. it reminds me of Chicago - buildings on the edge and park in the middle, which beautiful views of the building, the sky, and the park when resting or laying down.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 8:19 AM
Meh

That fountain and plaza are fantastic in the Gensler design, and it looks like the Zachry proposal has one, too. I love that it preserves the view of the Tower of the Americas through the buildings. That should preserve those iconic views of the Tower of the Americas from the Riverwalk. I've always enjoyed seeing it pop up through the trees. Likewise, that gap in the buildings would provide a keyhole to look through from the tower itself. That was some really good planning on their part. I'm glad to see that both proposals did that. That great lawn is going to be an awesome public space. I'm really looking forward to seeing it happen so that I can visit it.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 2:13 PM
JACKinBeantown

I like the design they're building better. It's classic and will stand the test of time. These designs may excite some people in the immediate future, but after 10 years they'd look dated... like several things I saw built in New York in the 90s.

https://thumbnails.trvl-media.com/As...York-20071.jpg

https://newconstructionmanhattan.com...8881275179.jpg

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I like the design they're building better. It's classic and will stand the test of time. These designs may excite some people in the immediate future, but after 10 years they'd look dated... like several things I saw built in New York in the 90s.

https://thumbnails.trvl-media.com/As...York-20071.jpg

https://newconstructionmanhattan.com...8881275179.jpg
these buildings don't look dated at all. In fact, the last one is a larger version of the Canopy.

Last edited by Fryguy; Feb 9, 2018 at 6:03 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
these people don't look dated at all.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
I agree, looks like the current design uses less glass, so the buildings seem more solid and classic feeling. Gensler's is flashy and nice, but maybe doesn't quite fit in with downtown SA.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 7:26 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
these buildings don't look dated at all.
They do to me. Then again, I saw them years ago.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 9:24 PM

Well, for those who prefer the Gensler vision, if it’s any consolation, Gensler is doing the new building at Broadway and Newell, so maybe Gray Street has also brought them on to do the planning for that huge piece of land they own across from the Pearl. And that’s even bigger than Hemisfair.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 12:49 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That fountain and plaza are fantastic in the Gensler design, and it looks like the Zachry proposal has one, too. I love that it preserves the view of the Tower of the Americas through the buildings. That should preserve those iconic views of the Tower of the Americas from the Riverwalk. I've always enjoyed seeing it pop up through the trees. Likewise, that gap in the buildings would provide a keyhole to look through from the tower itself. That was some really good planning on their part. I'm glad to see that both proposals did that. That great lawn is going to be an awesome public space. I'm really looking forward to seeing it happen so that I can visit it.
To clarify, all the ground level public space was designed by GGN:
http://www.ggnltd.com/civic-park-at-hemisfair/

So, the plazas and stuff are independent of what the private developers are doing with their plots scattered around the edge of the park. There's an image at that link that gives you a better idea of what land is private (ground lease to developers, basically the tan blocks to the north and west of the lawn) and which area is the public park.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 5:03 AM

Does anyone know when any of this stuff at Hemisfair is actually, you know, going to happen?

When I drive by Alamo and Market, I see all the fencing up but never seen anyone actually... doing anything.

In other words, when will the park look like the renderings?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know when any of this stuff at Hemisfair is actually, you know, going to happen?

When I drive by Alamo and Market, I see all the fencing up but never seen anyone actually... doing anything.

In other words, when will the park look like the renderings?
They are definitely waiting to really get going for the NCAA games to be over. They might also be waiting for a summer event for 300 year celebration. I expect it will start late summer/early fall. Having the designs go to HDRC is a sign that things are solidifying though. I can't wait for more residential to open up downtown. We just walked from Diggy Hill through downtown and around Hemisfair, so much potential!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 1:41 PM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Zachry won the bid, but who’s to say they didn’t get Gensler to design it?
Gensler isn't designing it

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 8:46 AM

I prefer the first proposal it would give downtown more of a big city image that's long overdue. As far as the second proposal it is far less flashy, the path S.A. always seems to choose when it comes to civic projects. I look forward to seeing how the last phase of the park is going to be developed hopefully some other towers will grace the park.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 1:00 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
I prefer the first proposal it would give downtown more of a big city image that's long overdue. As far as the second proposal it is far less flashy, the path S.A. always seems to choose when it comes to civic projects. I look forward to seeing how the last phase of the park is going to be developed hopefully some other towers will grace the park.
In the 1970s, and even into the 80s, Austin had a bit of an anti-growth mentality. The point was to keep Austin from growing so fast that it would lose the special qualities that made Austin special. As a result, people fell in love with Austin and then it started growing like wildfire (with other factors too, of course). I think San Antonio is smart to do its best to retain the qualities that make it unique in its own way. That includes not making "flashy" civic projects. In the long run that may also result in faster and bigger growth from private developments than would happen by attempting to trigger growth in its own right.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:12 PM
James

If i remember the clearly, the first proposal was only a place holder. It was never really meant to be the final proposal. I guess we'll see for sure on Tuesday.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
In the 1970s, and even into the 80s, Austin had a bit of an anti-growth mentality. The point was to keep Austin from growing so fast that it would lose the special qualities that made Austin special. As a result, people fell in love with Austin and then it started growing like wildfire (with other factors too, of course). I think San Antonio is smart to do its best to retain the qualities that make it unique in its own way. That includes not making "flashy" civic projects. In the long run that may also result in faster and bigger growth from private developments than would happen by attempting to trigger growth in its own right.

I TOTALLY AGREE 100%!!!!
"Keep San Antonio Unique"

Let's NOT start looking like any other American cityscape....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio