HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2007, 6:58 PM
Lee_Haber8 Lee_Haber8 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 757
Freeway-Free City - Something Winnipeg can be proud of

I was looking at another forum about large U.S. cities without freeways and it might be that Winnipeg may be the only large city of over 500,000 people. Whether it was intentional or good fortune, I think it is something Winnipeg should be proud of: that we haven't made the mistake that has blighted so many cities on this continent.

Now, hopefully we can get around to improving public transit and urban life to kill any ideas of building freeways in the future
__________________
www.winnipegrapidtransit.ca
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2007, 10:55 PM
newflyer's Avatar
newflyer newflyer is offline
Capitalist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,088
While I wouldn't want any bridges over neighbourhoods carrying high volume freeways... I definatley would support a more interchanges being built inorder to improve traffic flows on Bishop Grandon, Route 90 and Lag. I am always sickened at the amount of pollution as a result of inefficient high volume roadways.

I also know the trucking industry is pushing for better traffic flows. The new underpass on route 90 has definately improved things at that spot... but there are still many enefficient areas to be improved on, especially as the level of commericial traffic areas in the city expand, while the city wants to attact higher levels of the transportation distribution business.

On this point I heard that they will be building a new underpass on Waverly.
__________________
Check out my city at
http://www.allwinnipeg.com **More than Ever**
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2007, 11:34 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,657
yes they are going to build a new underpas on waverly... its kinda needed...

anyhow there was a proposil for a freeway system in winnipeg back in the 60's theres pics on the web of it somewhere we also were supost to build a subway damit
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2007, 11:57 PM
Greco Roman Greco Roman is offline
Movin' on up
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
On this point I heard that they will be building a new underpass on Waverly.

Where on Waverly, and is it JUST an overpass?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 1:20 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Where on Waverly, and is it JUST an overpass?
it was in the news recently
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 1:21 AM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is offline
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 16,739
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 1:32 AM
newflyer's Avatar
newflyer newflyer is offline
Capitalist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
yes they are going to build a new underpas on waverly... its kinda needed...

anyhow there was a proposil for a freeway system in winnipeg back in the 60's theres pics on the web of it somewhere we also were supost to build a subway damit
Yes the underpass is definitly needed. It will provide alot of relief in that area.
__________________
Check out my city at
http://www.allwinnipeg.com **More than Ever**
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 1:52 AM
good_dude's Avatar
good_dude good_dude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 'peg city
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Yes the underpass is definitly needed. It will provide alot of relief in that area.
that waverley development is horrible
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 1:53 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,657
we should ban building culdisacs
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 2:01 AM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 23,463
What is wrong with freeways? Deerfoot trail in Calgary is my favorite road to drive on because it is a fast efficient way to get from north to south (except when there are accidents of course). Raised freeways are a different story of course, but having a big fast road without any lights is a very good thing IMO.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 2:05 AM
Lee_Haber8 Lee_Haber8 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
What is wrong with freeways? Deerfoot trail in Calgary is my favorite road to drive on because it is a fast efficient way to get from north to south (except when there are accidents of course). Raised freeways are a different story of course, but having a big fast road without any lights is a very good thing IMO.
Well the point is we're trying to get people away from cars and sprawl to living on a more human and sustainable scale. Calgary is horrible in this respect!

A Waverley Underpass is more money wasted that should be spent actually improving the city! I'm surprised and disappointed that it is getting so many endorsements from people on this forum.
__________________
www.winnipegrapidtransit.ca
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 2:11 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,657
unfortnatly lee its needed not just for whats going to be built but also for whats there already...... i personaly would love to see them suffer
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 2:35 AM
newflyer's Avatar
newflyer newflyer is offline
Capitalist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8 View Post
Well the point is we're trying to get people away from cars and sprawl to living on a more human and sustainable scale. Calgary is horrible in this respect!

A Waverley Underpass is more money wasted that should be spent actually improving the city! I'm surprised and disappointed that it is getting so many endorsements from people on this forum.
... ummm are you from another century?

... Modern transportation has long been built into the economy, especially in the transportaion hub like Winnipeg. That underpass on Waverly will encourage more light industrial develoment in the area. This will help the city's economy expand and is nessesary for the future well being of the city.. even if a few pedestrain focused people don't appreciate it. That part of Waverly is rapidly becoming a tax driver for the city.

Not everthing can or will be built downtown... and many sectors require efficient transportation... in zoned areas which support those companies. I also think people should live close to there work.... and those areas also require effienct transportation. Winnipeg is more than just a downtown .. its a city.. and if it wants to develop as a modern city it needs to continue to enhance its infrastructure... including roadways.

In the coming years we will continue to see more expressway type upgrades, as Winnipeg looks to expand its commerical transportation industry. I wouldn't nessesarily say we'd need a Deerfoot, but as Winnipeg continues to grow the city needs to keep up, or face the problems which plague a city which falls behind on its roadways. (ie: lost opportunities). There are some significant developments in the offing which will require even more upgrades of traffic flows. It is looking very promising.
__________________
Check out my city at
http://www.allwinnipeg.com **More than Ever**
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 2:48 AM
Lee_Haber8 Lee_Haber8 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
... ummm are you from another century?

... Modern transportation has long been built into the economy, especially in the transportaion hub like Winnipeg. That underpass on Waverly will encourage more light industrial develoment in the area. This will help the city's economy expand and is nessesary for the future well being of the city.. even if a few pedestrain focused people don't appreciate it. That part of Waverly is rapidly becoming a tax driver for the city.

Not everthing can or will be built downtown... and many sectors require efficient transportation... in zoned areas which support those companies. I also think people should live close to there work.... and those areas also require effienct transportation. Winnipeg is more than just a downtown .. its a city.. and if it wants to develop as a modern city it needs to continue to enhance its infrastructure... including roadways.

In the coming years we will continue to see more expressway type upgrades, as Winnipeg looks to expand its commerical transportation industry. I wouldn't nessesarily say we'd need a Deerfoot, but as Winnipeg continues to grow the city needs to keep up, or face the problems which plague a city which falls behind on its roadways. (ie: lost opportunities). There are some significant developments in the offing which will require even more upgrades of traffic flows. It is looking very promising.
Yeah we do need efficient movement of goods, but that's what the perimeter and railways are for. Building interchanges in the city will do little to make things more efficient; you'll just end up with a more inhospitable city and the roads will be just as clogged in a year or two. So you spent a ton of money and just made things worse.

Lack of investment in roadways is not the main problem with Winnipeg, it is the lack of investment in schools, neighbourhoods and other more efficient forms of transportation that has been the problem. Right now Winnipeg isn't growing; it's sprawling. There's a difference.
__________________
www.winnipegrapidtransit.ca
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 2:55 AM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 8,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8 View Post
Yeah we do need efficient movement of goods, but that's what the perimeter and railways are for. Building interchanges in the city will do little to make things more efficient; you'll just end up with a more inhospitable city and the roads will be just as clogged in a year or two. So you spent a ton of money and just made things worse.
Wouldn't they be "just as clogged" because there is more traffic using the same road? So even if what you claim will happen will in fact happen, the city is actually better off because more cars are able to travel, even if it is only at the same speed as before. If the post-construction clogging occurs because traffic increases from (say) 100 to 150 (arbitrary units of volume), then the result of the road-building program is that 150 can travel at a speed at which, before construction, only 100 could travel. So that's progress.
__________________
crispy crunchy light and snappy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 3:08 AM
newflyer's Avatar
newflyer newflyer is offline
Capitalist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,088
The population is increasing .. and the numbers of business is increasing .. therefore it is growing. The GDP of the city is also growing a very good pace... projected to be 3rd next year in all of Canada.

Winnipeg is a transportaion hub.. and roadways are a very important part of that. You are right though the demands on Winnipeg roads will continueto grow, as long as the city continues to grow.

Yes the perimeter is a very nice peice of infrastructure ( Edmonton and Calgary are bother imitating it as we speak), but the last time I looked there wasn't much industry on the perimeter Hwy. Winnipeg will continue to see demands for better roadways on the inner portions of the city as they are the most conjested... and end up costing the local economy the most money in wasted transportaion costs. The trucking association has stated it costs the city and provincial economy millions of dollars a year in delayed transport costs alone, not to mention the image from companies to disregard Winnipeg as a viable hub, due to the weak infrastructure.

Capital infrastructure is just as imporant to the local economy as low taxes.
Without the nessesary means to compete.. Winnipeg's economy will not fair very well in the future .. hense the problems of the 70's, 80's and 90's. Winnipeg needs to move beyond that .. and realize that we need to compete for investment.

Yes it nice to pretend that Winnipeg is in a buble... but its simple not true and the misconception need to be overcome.
__________________
Check out my city at
http://www.allwinnipeg.com **More than Ever**
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 5:10 AM
flatlander's Avatar
flatlander flatlander is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,335
A freeway is modern transportation? Maybe in 1950. So that people in Linden Ridge can drive through my neighbourhood faster? Screw that. Put the money into transportation for the new economy, namely light rail.
__________________
For best results play at maximum volume.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 4:39 PM
Only The Lonely..'s Avatar
Only The Lonely.. Only The Lonely.. is offline
Portage & Main 50 below
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,746
Winnipeg not having a freeway system has nothing to do with us being some mecca to new urbanism.

Rather we don't have a freeway because we're a backwards anti development kinda town.

It would be one thing if our forefathers said no to freeways and yes to some form of rapid transit, i.e. subway, L-train, monorail...etc.

But this is not the case..Winnipeg has neither a decent freeway system nor do we have rapid transit. Ohh yaa and we still have sprawl.

At the moment we're living in the worst of both worlds.
__________________
WINNIPEG: Home of Canada's first skyscraper!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 4:41 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 40,275
At least you don't have a "freeway" with red lights every mile or so. You finally get it up into high gear and you have to shift down again to stop!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 4:42 PM
malek's Avatar
malek malek is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montréal
Posts: 8,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8 View Post
Well the point is we're trying to get people away from cars and sprawl to living on a more human and sustainable scale. Calgary is horrible in this respect!

A Waverley Underpass is more money wasted that should be spent actually improving the city! I'm surprised and disappointed that it is getting so many endorsements from people on this forum.
yeah.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:07 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.