HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
What is "Multi-Use Pathway (Michael St. to St-Laurent)"? (those streets are parallel to each other - it could be anywhere from Cyrville to Innes)
It's along the LRT alignment, to continue an existing MUP that runs from Cyrville. Future plans call for it to be extended east of Cyrville to join the Aviation Pathway at Ogilvie/Aviation.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
It's along the LRT alignment, to continue an existing MUP that runs from Cyrville. Future plans call for it to be extended east of Cyrville to join the Aviation Pathway at Ogilvie/Aviation.
Interesting, thanks.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 1:03 PM

Cycling paths should have room for cyclists and pedestrians.
The current design is inadequate.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ning-1.3732568

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
Cycling paths should have room for cyclists and pedestrians.
The current design is inadequate.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ning-1.3732568
It really depends on the path. Busy ones need to be wider and optimally separate bicycles and pedestrians.

Regarding the article and ringing your bell when passing a pedestrian, I find it much more effective to shout out, "Passing on your left." Not only does it alert them to my presence, but it tells them what I am about to do. It has the added advantage of being as loud or as quiet as I need it to be based on my surroundings. Plus I don't need to fiddle with something on my handle bar. I still keep a bell on my bike though to be legal.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 4:00 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
What is "Multi-Use Pathway (Michael St. to St-Laurent)"? (those streets are parallel to each other - it could be anywhere from Cyrville to Innes)
I think by St Laurent they mean St Laurent LRT station. There's mention for a need for a link in this document: http://www.capitalward.ca/PDFs/ToC-2...y_Projects.pdf

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
It really depends on the path. Busy ones need to be wider and optimally separate bicycles and pedestrians.
This is something the city seems to have finally gotten. The new Trillium path has separate lanes for pedestrians and cyclists in the section between Beech and Carling where there's walk-up traffic to Carling station.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 4:48 PM

Love walking and biking the Seawall paths in YVR for this reason.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 5:32 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Love walking and biking the Seawall paths in YVR for this reason.
Nitpick: I assume you mean Stanley Park in Vancouver. YVR is the code for the major international airport in Richmond, BC.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Nitpick: I assume you mean Stanley Park in Vancouver. YVR is the code for the major international airport in Richmond, BC.
It has become popular in the twitter era to refer to cities by their airport codes.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 5:39 PM

well if we're being super precise, in that case it was False Creek in Vancouver that I was referencing, not Stanley Park. Yes I know that YVR is the airport code (or CYVR if you want to be super-duper precise), but it's not uncommon to colloquially refer to Vancouver as YVR. Lot's of folk do the same with YEG for Edmonton. We have a poster here who goes by the clever handle NOWINYOW, which I've always admired. Etc.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 10:11 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
It has become popular in the twitter era to refer to cities by their airport codes.
Quote:
well if we're being super precise, in that case it was False Creek in Vancouver that I was referencing, not Stanley Park. Yes I know that YVR is the airport code (or CYVR if you want to be super-duper precise), but it's not uncommon to colloquially refer to Vancouver as YVR. Lot's of folk do the same with YEG for Edmonton. We have a poster here who goes by the clever handle NOWINYOW, which I've always admired. Etc.
So I should take the popular but imprecise and occasionally incorrect usage of the airport code to mean "When I'm in the region served by the airport with this code" as opposed to "When I'm in the municipality that encompasses the airport with this code"?

YOW: Ottawa vs Ottawa
YEG: Edmonton vs Nisku
YVR: Anywhere in the western Lower Mainland BC vs Richmond

Well, I guess Twitter is all about short and popular, but often imprecise and occasionally incorrect.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
So I should take the popular but imprecise and occasionally incorrect usage of the airport code to mean "When I'm in the region served by the airport with this code" as opposed to "When I'm in the municipality that encompasses the airport with this code"?

YOW: Ottawa vs Ottawa
YEG: Edmonton vs Nisku

Well, I guess Twitter is all about short and popular, but often imprecise and occasionally incorrect.
Since hardly any airports are in the municipality for which they are named that is probably a good strategy, even if somewhat imprecise.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 1:14 PM

Quote:
I would say Greater Vancouver rather than the entire Lower Mainland as there is also:

YXX: Abbotsford

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 2:52 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

So, does anyone have a good bit of infor on the bike way thing they're building along O'Connor?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
So, does anyone have a good bit of infor on the bike way thing they're building along O'Connor?
The display boards from the open house contain a lot of information.

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/planni...s-7-march-2016

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 5:08 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
I would say Greater Vancouver rather than the entire Lower Mainland as there is also:

YXX: Abbotsford
Getting even further OT, but...

That depends on your definition of Greater Vancouver, I guess.

I said "western Lower Mainland" for exactly that reason though. Abbotsford International is an airport I frequent with some regularity - so is YCW (Chilliwack), for that matter - and these parts are definitely not Vancouver.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 5:21 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:

YVR is precise enough for IATA. You think that the ICAO is better? It's no more precise, and it can also be very confusing, as most people learn these codes from baggage tags and departure/arrival boards.

For example, in the case of London's Heathrow, I'd venture a guess to say that most (non-aviation geek) Twitter users probably know LHR, but not EGLL.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 6:44 PM

Quote:
The display boards from the open house contain a lot of information.

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/planni...s-7-march-2016
Does anyone know if the remainder of O'Connor is going to be repaved? I'm a cyclist, but I'm also an automobile-ist, and I cringe every time I drive down O'Connor. I see that the bike lane is being paved and finished flush with the old-assed asphalt on the rest of the street....

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 7:34 PM

Quote:

Regarding the article and ringing your bell when passing a pedestrian, I find it much more effective to shout out, "Passing on your left." Not only does it alert them to my presence, but it tells them what I am about to do. It has the added advantage of being as loud or as quiet as I need it to be based on my surroundings. Plus I don't need to fiddle with something on my handle bar. I still keep a bell on my bike though to be legal.

There's a butter zone for ringing the bell: too far back, and the pedestrian ahead of you won't hear it; too close, and it startles the person (who isn't facing you) and doesn't offer enough time for you to negotiate the pass.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 2:27 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...fund-1.3735343
"When the new Booth Street bridge connecting Albert Street and the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway opens on Sunday, Sept. 4, it will not include bike lanes — despite the fact that everyone, including Mayor Jim Watson, has acknowledged that omitting some sort of segregated cycling infrastructure was an error.
But by the time the issue came to a head, the Booth bridge was virtually finished. And so come Labour Day weekend, the bridge will be opened as designed and the city will go back to tear some of that work up and add safe-cycling measures by the end of 2018.
The changes will cost up to $2 million.
It really is a lost opportunity in terms of time and money."
"The Booth Street Bridge is another example of poor foresight when it comes to designing parts of the light-rail system.
At some point, the design included cycling lanes, but those plans were nixed."

-- Bad design from the start. "Measure twice, cut once" should be the rule, but clearly it isn't.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation