HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
That's very promising. Hopefully the next project is one tall one instead of three mid-rises. Followed by the next tall one.
Careful there Jack. AwsomeSAWhatever will have your ass for wanting tall.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 6:53 AM

H-E-B owns vacant properties at several major intersections in Bexar County. Here’s where they are

https://www.expressnews.com/business...s-17404788.php

In the early 2010s, H-E-B purchased four clusters of property at major intersections on the far North Side amid the hilly forests that were rapidly becoming the hilly neighborhoods east of Joint Base San Antonio-Camp Bullis.

The locally owned grocer seemed to be doing what it usually does: laying the groundwork to build new supermarkets in the areas where San Antonio is growing fastest.

A decade later, three of those four properties remain undeveloped after the company in 2014 opened The Market at Stone Oak on one of them, north of the crossing of Wilderness Oak and Hardy Oak Boulevard.

In all, H-E-B controls at least a dozen vacant properties at significant intersections in Bexar County, according to the Bexar Appraisal District. Most of them are in high-growth areas on the North and West sides — though there is one on the South Side, at the crossing of Loop 410 and Roosevelt Avenue, just down the highway from the Mission Del Lago master-planned community.

The other properties range as far away as a 29.3-acre site at the crossing of Culebra Road and Highway 211 on the far West Side near the Medina County line; a 13.7-acre site along Interstate 10 just down the road from Fair Oaks Ranch and four miles south of Boerne; and a 60.6-acre site at the crossing of Loop 1604 and Interstate 10 on the far East Side.

It’s unclear whether the sites are intended for future stores. Company spokeswoman Julie Bedingfield declined to comment.

Here is a list of the major properties H-E-B owns in Bexar County that remain undeveloped:

• U.S. 281 and Bulverde Road: 33.6 acres; purchased in 2012.

• U.S. 281 and Wilderness Oak: 32.3 acres; purchased in 2012.

• Borgfeld Drive and Canyon Golf Road: 9.7 acres; purchased in 2011.

• Interstate 10, by Old Fredericksburg Road: 13.7 acres; purchased in 2021.

• De Zavala Road and JV Bacon Parkway: 21.7 acres; purchased in 2016.

• Loop 1604 and Nacogdoches Road: 28.4 acres; purchased in 2010.

• Loop 1604 and Highway 90: 46.5 acres; purchased in 2015.

• Highway 151 and Potranco Road: 14.2 acres; purchased in 2015.

• Culebra Road and Highway 211: 29.3 acres; purchased in 2007.

• Roland Road and Interstate 10: 6.2 acres; purchased in 2017.

• Loop 1604 and Interstate 10: 60.6 acres; purchased in 2015.

• Loop 410 and Roosevelt Avenue: 24.1 acres; purchased in 2017.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
H-E-B owns vacant properties at several major intersections in Bexar County. Here’s where they are

https://www.expressnews.com/business...s-17404788.php

In the early 2010s, H-E-B purchased four clusters of property at major intersections on the far North Side amid the hilly forests that were rapidly becoming the hilly neighborhoods east of Joint Base San Antonio-Camp Bullis.

The locally owned grocer seemed to be doing what it usually does: laying the groundwork to build new supermarkets in the areas where San Antonio is growing fastest.

A decade later, three of those four properties remain undeveloped after the company in 2014 opened The Market at Stone Oak on one of them, north of the crossing of Wilderness Oak and Hardy Oak Boulevard.

In all, H-E-B controls at least a dozen vacant properties at significant intersections in Bexar County, according to the Bexar Appraisal District. Most of them are in high-growth areas on the North and West sides — though there is one on the South Side, at the crossing of Loop 410 and Roosevelt Avenue, just down the highway from the Mission Del Lago master-planned community.

The other properties range as far away as a 29.3-acre site at the crossing of Culebra Road and Highway 211 on the far West Side near the Medina County line; a 13.7-acre site along Interstate 10 just down the road from Fair Oaks Ranch and four miles south of Boerne; and a 60.6-acre site at the crossing of Loop 1604 and Interstate 10 on the far East Side.

It’s unclear whether the sites are intended for future stores. Company spokeswoman Julie Bedingfield declined to comment.

Here is a list of the major properties H-E-B owns in Bexar County that remain undeveloped:

• U.S. 281 and Bulverde Road: 33.6 acres; purchased in 2012.

• U.S. 281 and Wilderness Oak: 32.3 acres; purchased in 2012.

• Borgfeld Drive and Canyon Golf Road: 9.7 acres; purchased in 2011.

• Interstate 10, by Old Fredericksburg Road: 13.7 acres; purchased in 2021.

• De Zavala Road and JV Bacon Parkway: 21.7 acres; purchased in 2016.

• Loop 1604 and Nacogdoches Road: 28.4 acres; purchased in 2010.

• Loop 1604 and Highway 90: 46.5 acres; purchased in 2015.

• Highway 151 and Potranco Road: 14.2 acres; purchased in 2015.

• Culebra Road and Highway 211: 29.3 acres; purchased in 2007.

• Roland Road and Interstate 10: 6.2 acres; purchased in 2017.

• Loop 1604 and Interstate 10: 60.6 acres; purchased in 2015.

• Loop 410 and Roosevelt Avenue: 24.1 acres; purchased in 2017.
I would think they own more land around the SA area, right? A little surprised. Maybe they have alternate holding companies like Parkway Transportation.

Also, a little disappointing there is no land owned around the Broadway/Pearl corridor. With all the apartment units going up in the next few years, I think the need for one in that area will increase. A friend of mine currently has to drive to Olmos, Lincoln Heights or E Houston.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 1:33 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot View Post
I would think they own more land around the SA area, right? A little surprised. Maybe they have alternate holding companies like Parkway Transportation.

Also, a little disappointing there is no land owned around the Broadway/Pearl corridor. With all the apartment units going up in the next few years, I think the need for one in that area will increase. A friend of mine currently has to drive to Olmos, Lincoln Heights or E Houston.
I live just north of the Pearl and I have to do the same. Technically a (long) walk from Central Market but I'm not a billionaire. HEB is pretty shy of urban sites, with a small handful of notable exceptions. I think the odds of a midtown Whole Foods are higher than HEB, sadly, given WF's greater experience with urban locations. And I do think a Midtown grocery of some kind is inevitable, the population growth is getting too big to ignore.

My one bit of hope for a Midtown HEB is that the new owner of Broadway East is the developer who did Alon Market on the north side, so they might have the relationships with HEB to make it happen. But I also know HEB vastly prefers to own and develop its sites these days, so idk. There's certainly enough land for one, the former SAISD parcel bounded by Carson/Austin/Alamo is almost twice the size of the footprint of the new mixed use Washington Ave HEB in Houston. The Broadway adjacent parcel of Broadway East may be just big enough as well, hard to say.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
I live just north of the Pearl and I have to do the same. Technically a (long) walk from Central Market but I'm not a billionaire. HEB is pretty shy of urban sites, with a small handful of notable exceptions. I think the odds of a midtown Whole Foods are higher than HEB, sadly, given WF's greater experience with urban locations. And I do think a Midtown grocery of some kind is inevitable, the population growth is getting too big to ignore.

My one bit of hope for a Midtown HEB is that the new owner of Broadway East is the developer who did Alon Market on the north side, so they might have the relationships with HEB to make it happen. But I also know HEB vastly prefers to own and develop its sites these days, so idk.
Funny you say that. My Wife used to drive to Alon Market from the Pearl area to do her grocery shopping because she thought it was head and shoulders above the other options - and it is. That store and the Market at Stone Oak are my personal favorites.

She used to say that a little larger of a South Flores HEB is all she would have needed near the Pearl to guarantee her car stayed parked 5 days out of the week since she worked about 2 miles away and biked to work.

Maybe they will go bold for an urban core store once the market has developed a little bit more over the next few years with the 1200 apartment units going up. You're right though, probably wishful thinking on my end.

Last edited by Dot; Aug 30, 2022 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 2:28 AM

https://urban-genesis.com/portfolio/

Elmira Highline

St. Mary’s Highline

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 1:40 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Well, the tile is different I guess. Otherwise pretty bland, and featuring those tiny fake balconies lol. The Elmira one should read "Perspective from elevated freeway in front yard"

Where is St Mary's Highline? Looks like a really rectangular intersection, which N St Mary's has very few of since it's a winding road. Possibly that's the ATT building in the middle background? Really hard to tell, more likely it's just a generic urban background I guess.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Well, the tile is different I guess. Otherwise pretty bland, and featuring those tiny fake balconies lol. The Elmira one should read "Perspective from elevated freeway in front yard"

Where is St Mary's Highline? Looks like a really rectangular intersection, which N St Mary's has very few of since it's a winding road. Possibly that's the ATT building in the middle background? Really hard to tell, more likely it's just a generic urban background I guess.
It is this vacant lot.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4390...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 10:34 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Nice. Glad something is going up on that lot. But, you know, insert Jack's tirade about how that's a great spot for street level retail. And I agree.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 3:00 PM

Majestic operator to open live entertainment venue in St. Paul Square

https://sanantonioreport.org/majesti...t-paul-square/

The operator of the landmark Majestic and Charline McCombs Empire theaters is adding another live performance venue to its San Antonio lineup.

Ambassador Theater Group is renovating the amphitheater and former train station depots at The Espee, an entertainment venue at 1173 E. Commerce St. in St. Paul Square. An opening date hasn’t been announced.

“It’s the perfect complement to our downtown Majestic and Empire venues and it just opens up a whole other opportunity for live entertainment as an outdoor venue,” said Emily Smith, general manager at Ambassador Theater Group.

“It’s just a great opportunity and to be part of the growth in St. Paul Square,” she added. “We’re really excited about what’s happening in the area and to participate in that.”

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 4:37 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Nice. Glad something is going up on that lot. But, you know, insert Jack's tirade about how that's a great spot for street level retail. And I agree.
Ha! Glad to know I've contributed something here.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 5:39 PM

City Council to vote on potential Broadway residential tower

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...B_AN&csrc=6398

The San Antonio City Council will vote Thursday on a high-rise residential tower across from Pearl.

In August, San Antonio-based Fulcrum Development asked the Historic and Design Review Commission to approve a request included adding a development node. The rezoning would allow Fulcrum to exceed certain development guidelines for height and setback requirements as well as other features.

HDRC granted the request, and city zoning approved Fulcrum's case on Sept. 6. Now, the city council will debate the request in a zoning and land use session slated for Sept. 15.

A general development plan was submitted with the request, but it is not yet clear what is in store for the 3.4-acre plot of land, which includes multiple parcels at the intersections of Broadway, North Alamo and Casa Blanca streets near Interstate 35. The land was bought from San Antonio-based GrayStreet Partners last year, which had initially planned to build a mixed-use community in the area, but has since scrapped the project.

Fulcrum's rezoning request also included provisions for high-density residential, which is 100 units per acre, and commercial zoning. If granted, the property could be the first high-rise residential property in the area.The San Antonio City Council will vote Thursday on a high-rise residential tower across from Pearl.

In August, San Antonio-based Fulcrum Development asked the Historic and Design Review Commission to approve a request included adding a development node. The rezoning would allow Fulcrum to exceed certain development guidelines for height and setback requirements as well as other features.

HDRC granted the request, and city zoning approved Fulcrum's case on Sept. 6. Now, the city council will debate the request in a zoning and land use session slated for Sept. 15.

A general development plan was submitted with the request, but it is not yet clear what is in store for the 3.4-acre plot of land, which includes multiple parcels at the intersections of Broadway, North Alamo and Casa Blanca streets near Interstate 35. The land was bought from San Antonio-based GrayStreet Partners last year, which had initially planned to build a mixed-use community in the area, but has since scrapped the project.

Fulcrum's rezoning request also included provisions for high-density residential, which is 100 units per acre, and commercial zoning. If granted, the property could be the first high-rise residential property in the area.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 6:08 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ The Pig & Pearl needs more pig! I say give them the zoning.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 11:25 PM
James

I really hope they approve this. It will give that area on the east side of 281 a much-needed injection and further move this into an urban neighborhood. Hopefully, it will match the height of the structures around it at least.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I really hope they approve this. It will give that area on the east side of 281 a much-needed injection and further move this into an urban neighborhood. Hopefully, it will match the height of the structures around it at least.
There's so much potential in that area. Blows my mind that there's even a height limit right now. Hopefully this goes through, but I'd like to see some 20-30 story buildings around there and lower Broadway in general too. Have a proper Midtown area. I hope graystreet isn't just sitting on that 1603 plot. If they're not gonna do anything with it at this point they should sell it to someone that will, cause that's prime land going to waste.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 9:39 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
There's so much potential in that area. Blows my mind that there's even a height limit right now. Hopefully this goes through, but I'd like to see some 20-30 story buildings around there and lower Broadway in general too. Have a proper Midtown area. I hope graystreet isn't just sitting on that 1603 plot. If they're not gonna do anything with it at this point they should sell it to someone that will, cause that's prime land going to waste.
Knowing Graystreet...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 9:38 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Wasn't sure if there's a thread for the Hixon/Cavender partnership development on Broadway so I'm dumping this here. I was cruising around the website for the new Soto office building and found these renderings for future phases of the complex:

This is for the 800 Broadway block.

These depict the existing Cavender building at the corner of 8th/Broadway, with a small plaza behind and a building similar in scale behind. It looks like the rest of the block is apparently taken up with a 6 story apartment building. Also, probably artistic license on the part of the architect since it was a car dealership, but they've imagined the first floor of the Cavender building as a Tesla showroom, lol.

This is for the 900 block of Broadway:

On the right is the existing historic part of the Iron Mountain building. On the left, they want to demo the addition and build a 10 story (?) residential building.

There is also a website for the Make Ready market behind the Soto now:

https://makereadymarket.com/

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 4:24 AM

Those must be recent, haven't seen those renders before.

This is the most recent one I've seen of the area

Seems like the big lot next to the old Cadillac showroom is where those apartments are going to be. Looks like they shortened it in the *newer?* renderings.

I'm surprised that Iron Mountain building is historically protected, but then again... with San Antonio, I'm not lol. I guess that brick facade is worth saving. Looks like from that last render it cuts off at 10-11 stories in the picture and keeps going. Fingers crossed that ends up being a 300+ footer.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 5:00 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
Those must be recent, haven't seen those renders before.

This is the most recent one I've seen of the area

Seems like the big lot next to the old Cadillac showroom is where those apartments are going to be. Looks like they shortened it in the *newer?* renderings.

I'm surprised that Iron Mountain building is historically protected, but then again... with San Antonio, I'm not lol. I guess that brick facade is worth saving. Looks like from that last render it cuts off at 10-11 stories in the picture and keeps going. Fingers crossed that ends up being a 300+ footer.

No. The multi story building in the drawn and colored rendering would be where the blue shaded structures are on the top right in the 3D rendering.

It’s two separate high rise structures a block a part.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
No. The multi story building in the drawn and colored rendering would be where the blue shaded structures are on the top right in the 3D rendering.

It’s two separate high rise structures a block a part.
I'm almost positive the rendering that I linked is facing northwest on Broadway.

The taller building that's drawn is further up where the Iron Mountain building is. That plot is the 3 smaller blue squares at the far end of the rendering. The blue apartments on the picture I linked are on the (abandoned?) building at 815 Avenue B.

Unless they just swapped the white building in that render to the plot next to the Iron Mountain building, it seems like 2 different proposals.

Edit: The white buildings across the street from The Soto in that rendering seem to be something else new as well. Not sure if these are all proposed projects or just massing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio