HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 2:25 PM

I think it said they could possibly move to the Forks. Would need some kind of facility obviously. All this is coming from the RFP for the Eastern Corridor. It's still available for download on the Cities website.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I think it said they could possibly move to the Forks. Would need some kind of facility obviously. All this is coming from the RFP for the Eastern Corridor. It's still available for download on the Cities website.
The railway museum's original plan way back when was to occupy the steam plant which is currently home to City TV, but they could not get any fundraising traction on it. That's when they ended up moving into Union Station on a "temporary" basis, because after the 1990 VIA Rail service cuts, VIA didn't need to use the entire trainshed anymore.

I'm sure the museum would love to move into its own building but they'd really have to strike it lucky and find a couple of generous benefactors who will cut them some pretty big cheques.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 3:19 PM

^^ Why not move the railway museum into the old aviation museum when they build their own new building closer to the current terminal...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
Winnipeg is nowhere near that point. Many of the major routes run every 20-25 minutes off peak. There's definitely scope to add lots more service before it becomes anything like the TTC's Dufferin bus.
The challenge with the current Winnipeg Transit service is even at the highest peaks of times on the busiest of routes service still runs at the same intervals. That means if normal service has a 20 minute gap so does peak service. The only difference is peak service will dispatch about five buses along nearly identical routes but only every 20 minutes...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The challenge with the current Winnipeg Transit service is even at the highest peaks of times on the busiest of routes service still runs at the same intervals. That means if normal service has a 20 minute gap so does peak service.
That is completely false. There is vastly more service in the peak on most of the main routes. Some examples from the current schedule:

55 St. Anne's - AM peak approx. every 8 minutes, midday every 20 minutes
16 Osborne - AM peak approx. every 9 minutes, midday every 17 minutes
29 Sherbrook - AM peak approx. every 8 minutes, midday every 15 minutes
19 Notre Dame - AM peak approx. every 5 minutes, midday every 20 minutes

The peak frequencies are excellent on many routes. It's off-peak, and especially evenings and weekends, that transit becomes much, much less convenient to use.

(I took a walk on Sunday and ended up wanting to catch the 19 from near Tec Voc. The next bus was a 50 minute wait. It was faster to walk back downtown.)

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 1:38 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
That is completely false. There is vastly more service in the peak on most of
(I took a walk on Sunday and ended up wanting to catch the 19 from near Tec Voc. The next bus was a 50 minute wait. It was faster to walk back downtown.)
I remember something like that, and it took as long just to get there from Union Station to RRC Notre Dame 10 yrs. ago when I took the Intro to Technical Communications. Because I was holding down a good gov't job I had to take the class at night, so the bus frequency was not that great.

More recently, when I'm catching a 14 or 55 near there I always see 19s bunched 5 mins. apart southbound during PM peak. They're always packed SRO too.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 1:50 AM

Polo Park Transit Terminal

I was at Polo this afternoon and gawd does that bus turn in at the Portage Ave. Terminal look bad.

The pavement is where the sidewalk intersects is down almost down to the base.

Whom do we contact to get this a priority.

It isn't so much for the transit riders, but for the pedestrians who cross that patch. If someone wasn't looking or had poor vision it'd be easy to trip over.

Across the street on the A&W side I see a front end loader and some pylons, so maybe whomever is doing that work can fix the TT.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 1:08 PM

Make a report to 311 on the pavement. With the your name and everything. It'll get through. Or else contact the city on Twitter. They actually talk to you.

peak frequencies on the 3 routes I use are approx 10 mins each max. But with 3 routes running the same stop, only wait maybe 5 mins.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 3:07 PM

I got stuck in Lindenwoods after 6pm on Sunday. I had to walk home, Donald and Broadway, but it was good for me. I finally caught the bus at Grant and Stafford. I should have planned my trip a little better. Getting to Lindenwoods that afternoon was very easy.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Make a report to 311 on the pavement. With the your name and everything. It'll get through. Or else contact the city on Twitter. They actually talk to you.
I contacted Deborah Green, marketing mgr. of Polo Park by e-mail. So no response.

I also contacted Coun. Scott Gillingham's office by e-mail and they said they'd contact the people to assess the situation.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
I got stuck in Lindenwoods after 6pm on Sunday. I had to walk home, Donald and Broadway, but it was good for me. I finally caught the bus at Grant and Stafford. I should have planned my trip a little better. Getting to Lindenwoods that afternoon was very easy.
Last time I took the bus on a Sunday was a trip to Assiniboine Park a few years back... I got there easily enough, but I had to wait forever for my transfer on the way back, and the buses were absolutely jam packed.

Then I tried to take a bus after the game on Grey Cup Sunday, but after waiting for an interminably long time I ended up walking to my destination instead. Sunday evening service is lousy, in the future I'll simply start out by calling a cab instead of wasting time with Transit.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 5:39 PM

Not sure if this is already known , but I found some cached Winnipeg transit web pages about the new fare smart card. It looks like it will be named "peggo"

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 5:43 PM

Nice find, thanks!

We had discussed this earlier. Below quote from the page.

Important Information about loading fares online.
Our buses are not in constant wireless contact with a central fare collection database. Rides taken throughout the day are stored on the bus and processed overnight when the bus returns to the garage for servicing. This means if you load your peggo card online or by phone that information is not loaded onto the bus until the end of service when the buses return to the garage. Fares loaded online or by phone will take up to 2 business days before they are active on your card.

Last edited by bomberjet; Jun 7, 2016 at 5:53 PM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 5:49 PM

Good that they are clear about this! Disappointing, but totally understandable since no one seems to have figured this out yet.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 6:43 PM

Aw, it's happy!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 6:52 PM

Not sure if its still going to work this way but the original specs said customers would get 1 "courtesy" ride so if you run short and the update had not loaded at least you will be able to get to your next destination. The cost of that ride would be deducted from the card when it was reloaded.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 6:53 PM

IMO while it all seems good and fancy, it doesn't offer much of an upgrade over the paper tickets and passes. The only advantage I can see is the auto pre-load abilities. Otherwise if you need to go into the store to reload your card ASAP, you might as well just get the paper tickets/pass from them.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Not sure if its still going to work this way but the original specs said customers would get 1 "courtesy" ride so if you run short and the update had not loaded at least you will be able to get to your next destination. The cost of that ride would be deducted from the card when it was reloaded.
And then that could be a bit messy if say you paid for a monthly pass. Then you have this one courtesy fare waiting to be paid for. Would that then come off the amount that was allotted to your monthly pass, rendering that payment insufficient? Causing further issues with your bus trips.

Also i see a lot of "tell the operator prior to tapping" for various options. They would then need to hit some kind of buttons or something. Kind of annoying.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
And then that could be a bit messy if say you paid for a monthly pass. Then you have this one courtesy fare waiting to be paid for. Would that then come off the amount that was allotted to your monthly pass, rendering that payment insufficient? Causing further issues with your bus trips.

Also i see a lot of "tell the operator prior to tapping" for various options. They would then need to hit some kind of buttons or something. Kind of annoying.
It's probably more the people that have a preloaded card but don't use it all the time. I'd probably get one for the times my car is in the shop and I have to bus to work or back to the shop to pick it up.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 1:25 AM

Quote:
That is completely false. There is vastly more service in the peak on most of the main routes. Some examples from the current schedule:

55 St. Anne's - AM peak approx. every 8 minutes, midday every 20 minutes
16 Osborne - AM peak approx. every 9 minutes, midday every 17 minutes
29 Sherbrook - AM peak approx. every 8 minutes, midday every 15 minutes
19 Notre Dame - AM peak approx. every 5 minutes, midday every 20 minutes
55 drops to 25 minutes midday during the summer and frequently leaves people behind. Up to 50 minutes apart in the beltline beyond Beliveau. Same problem on the 19 beyond Arlington.

29 is half an hour apart on either the City Hall or Windermere legs midday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan