HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:37 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2023 in TAIPEI

Taiwan re-opened to the outside world on October 13, 2022 with removal of mandatory quarantine on arrival. Visitors would need to go through a 0+7 self-initiated prevention period, staying in a hotel or home with a private bathroom on their own. They would need to use rapid tests 4 times during the period, although they can go out, use public transport, or go to work.

In the previous month, Taiwan reinsated visa-free entry for passport holders from a number of countries, including the US, Canada, Australia, Schengen area, and a number of Southeast Asian countries. Unfortunately, Hong Kong was not part of the group, limiting visitors to only large tour groups or by applying for an official business visa. The process was seemingly straight forward by submitting everything on their web portal. Interestingly, I didn't need to pay to apply, although there is a fee involved, which is due once the application is approved.

However, several rounds of questions later, which all came through their web portal, I became perplexed by the amount of documentation and requirements to push through the business visa application, such as a personal profile written in Chinese, not English, a contact's local phone number, providing my parents' names and birthdates, as well as an affirmation I'm not affiliated with the Communist party. This was in addition to the standard invitation letter from Taiwan and proof of my status in Hong Kong. I got the impression that Taiwan was still not open for business and I got caught up in geopolitics.

The anxiety came to an end on Valentine's Day, when Taiwan announced they would resume processing Hong Kong passport applications to visit through their old online portal like what we used to do before the pandemic, which would fit either business or leisure visits and without the need for endless documentation proof.

I'm quite a regular into Taipei before the pandemic, making at least one visit a year, so you can find a lot of my photo threads lurking in the forum.

The former Taipei Prison was built between 1900-1904 during the Japanese colonial era based on Western designs to symbolize Taiwan's ascent into the modern era. Dormitories accompanied the prison building. During World War II, many Allied prisoners of war were executed here, while political prisoners were also sent here following the war. Restoration work began in 2016 to transform the site into a shopping area and was completed in summer 2021.

A small museum in one of the buildings showcases a few artifacts although restaurants and shops now dominate the site.

L'atelier of Joel Robuchon opened in 2009 in the upscale Bellavita mall in Xinyi district. Seated at their counter that overlooks the kitchen, I chose their set menu where I could pick 2 appetizers, 1 main, dessert, and tea for TWD $2580. Apparently, they are famous for their bread basket, which nobody can finish and they happily pack it up for you to bring home and enjoy later. Their mashed potatoes are also heavenly.

While Elephant Hill near Taipei 101 is flooded with foreign tourists, with the hike well-advertised in guidebooks, the mountains on the north side of the city have remained a local spot. Jiantanshan isn't too difficult to hike up. I took a 60 minute roundtrip to see the city from a good vantage point.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/taipei.htm

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 8:52 AM

Looking good, got Jap vibes

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 5:59 PM

Great photos, hkskyline! I have a friend from Taiwan who has suggested that my partner and I should visit it.

@Murphy de la Sucre, I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but just an FYI, at least in American English, "J*p" is a derogatory racial/ethnic slur.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 7:19 PM
Community Guy

It almost always reminds me of a more accessible and livable HK.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 11:15 PM

L'Atelier looks fabulous!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 2:17 AM
Hong Kong

Kura is a chain of conveyer belt sushi restaurants that offer a good selection at affordable prices. You get to play games and win prizes for returning used plates into the seat's built-in dirty dish slot.

As a vegetarian alternative, DeliSoys is hidden in a back street offering delicious dumplings and various vegetable dishes with an appetizer buffet.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 1:32 AM
Hong Kong

The Presidential Office was completed in 1919 during the Japanese colonial era as the Governor General's office. Costing 2.8 million Japanese yen to build, the 5-storey building is accompanied by a 60m tower, making it the tallest building in Taiwan at the time. Its plan resembles the character "sun".

During this time, many important public buildings were constructed with Western classical styles to symbolize the modern era. You'll notice the red and white brick pattern, an English Victorian style.

The building is open on weekday mornings and usually once a month on weekends. I visited on one of the weekend sessions on March 4, 2023 before lunch. Pre-registration is not required and I walked in with a minimal line at the door. For tourists, bring your passport for registration and pass the security check to emerge on the front lawn to begin your self-guided tour.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 3:48 AM
Hong Kong

Seeking a night market away from the touristy areas to where locals form the majority crowd, I was not disappointed with Lehua, which was quite busy even on a weeknight. Located across the river in New Taipei City, it's only a short walk south of Dingxi MRT station to Yongping Road, a fairly wide street so the walking experience is quite good.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 2:44 AM
Hong Kong

Xiangshan is an easy hike from Xinyi district uphill for a skyline view, and well-known to tourists because it is so easily accessible. It took me about 90 minutes to complete the hike which starts just south of Xiangshan Park, up through many staircases to the peak at 183m, and down to Yongchungang Park.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 7:34 AM
Hong Kong

Sanhe Night Market is smaller and less touristy and I quite liked its setup along the street. I originally came for a dessert in a proper shop but decided to walk back to my hotel through it to properly digest.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 6:34 PM
你的媽媽

Great photos! Taipei/Taiwan is very underrated for international travel. Top notch food scene and one of my favorite places for scenery and walking as well, and I'm looking forward to going back multiple times again in the future.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2023, 4:18 AM
Hong Kong

While Xinyi is known as a new office district, home to Taipei 101 and many new skyscraper projects, the side streets are residential, leaning towards the upscale kind. However, the area is known to be haunted, with parts being a mass burial ground during World War II.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2023, 3:50 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
L'Atelier looks fabulous!
yeah, i checked and that was $82 before tip i think.

i liked the look of next meal at kura even better.

this thread is a lot of fun.

and speaking of food i love the night market pix.

plus that reminds me i haven't been to the queens night market yet this year.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 5:46 AM
Hong Kong

Xinyi's skyscrapers typically have a mall at the bottom and fancy restaurants on its higher floors. This design is quite similar to Japanese towers and I've enjoyed some nice views from a finer dining experience over the years. The construction boom continues albeit at a very controlled pace. You won't see a lot of cranes at the same time. Seems the developers want to build them one by one, or at most two by two at a time.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos