HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

View Poll Results: The Saddest State Capitol building is?
Hawaii 23 17.56%
Arizona 10 7.63%
Delaware 1 0.76%
New Mexico 33 25.19%
North Dakota 23 17.56%
Alaska 18 13.74%
Oregon 6 4.58%
North Carolina 2 1.53%
Nevada 3 2.29%
Other 12 9.16%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 9:46 PM
Pacific Wonderland

well, to each his own, the Mayne one is infinitely better than the backwards-looking one.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 10:01 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Well, y'know, if you want to build a monument to state of pop architecture circa 2005, then the former is a great design. If you want something that won't look as obsolete in 30 years as the Hawaii capitol looks now, then the latter is unquestionable better, because the former design (however great it may or may not be on its own terms) is undeniably of the current time and no other (unless anyone wants to argue that architecture has finished innovating and will remain in its current state forever).

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
well, to each his own, the Mayne one is infinitely better than the backwards-looking one.
I concur. The Mayne proposal might look dated in 20-30 years, but then it'll look like something worth preserving 50, 60 years on.

The other proposal looks too kitschy to me; it would be fine if it were a true representation of that style with accurate details, but I have the feeling that with materials and labor costing a lot, they would half-ass it and it would be nothing more than a post-modern 1980s-looking exercise, which would make it look dated from the time of completion.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 10:08 PM

Im surpised Cusato didnt use cyrillic lettering in those renderings (but the modernist things...gee..nuclear reactor containment dome?)

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 11:15 PM

Leave these kitschy neoclassical buildings in the past. Why would buildings of that kind be built today? How very progressive. And you know, there was a time when they were viewed as 'trendy' too. There would be far fewer neoclassical buildings on this planet had the constructors of yore shared this view that 'trendy' architecture and legislature buildings do not fit together.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 11:30 PM
I like this much better

New Mexico is my least favorite. Ohio is up there too. Not so much I guess for the look of it, but the way it fits into the surrounding downtown area. It's awkward as hell.

My favorites are Colorado (the whole complex with the courthouse across the way with the park in the middle is nice) and, actually, Delaware. That part of Dover (well, how many parts of Dover are there?) is pretty cool, actually. Very old, it's cool. I used to live just a couple blocks from there.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 11:42 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
I can't believe Ohio ain't getting any hate over here. Maybe its not 'sad' but ir sure as hell is awkward, if not just plain ugly! Something's missing....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_columbus.jpg
Ouch, Ohio gets my vote, I actually like most of the ones on the poll, they are all good and bad in some way, but I can't really defend this one, talk about akward.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 12:28 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Well, y'know, if you want to build a monument to state of pop architecture circa 2005, then the former is a great design. If you want something that won't look as obsolete in 30 years as the Hawaii capitol looks now, then the latter is unquestionable better, because the former design (however great it may or may not be on its own terms) is undeniably of the current time and no other (unless anyone wants to argue that architecture has finished innovating and will remain in its current state forever).
Well, if you wanted to design a monument to 18th century colonial British rule in the Americas then this one is a great design:

But it's 2009 and we should move on. I don't particularly like the Mayne either (though he has established a track record of impressive public buildings) but countering it with hyper-conservative Jeffersonian colonial architecture isn't the answer. I suppose though hyper-conservative could be the image Alaska wants to convey, so who am I to judge?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Well, if you wanted to design a monument to 18th century colonial British rule in the Americas then this one is a great design:

But it's 2009 and we should move on. I don't particularly like the Mayne either (though he has established a track record of impressive public buildings) but countering it with hyper-conservative Jeffersonian colonial architecture isn't the answer. I suppose though hyper-conservative could be the image Alaska wants to convey, so who am I to judge?
I'm pretty sure Cusato's design is an homage to Alaska's Russian history, judging by the Orthodox-looking onion domes. There's nothing invoking a sense of British colonial rule with this design IMO.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 1:23 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Right. There is very little British about that design. Lumping anything with a dome into "British colonial" is silly. As for this...

Quote:
The other proposal looks too kitschy to me; it would be fine if it were a true representation of that style with accurate details, but I have the feeling that with materials and labor costing a lot, they would half-ass it and it would be nothing more than a post-modern 1980s-looking exercise, which would make it look dated from the time of completion.
This isn't a fair criticism at all. It's like saying the Mayne proposal would be sure to look like crap because they'll build it out of cheap plastic, no matter what the design calls for. There are plenty of good examples of contemporary classical buildings that aren't built with cheap materials.

Quote:
Why would buildings of that kind be built today? How very progressive.
Well, if you're more concerned with producing buildings that look good than you are with producing buildings that are progressive, then that's an excellent reason to build something like that today. I'm not suggesting that looking good and being progressive are necessarily mutually exclusive, but the only reason to discount traditional styles simply because they aren't new is if you value progressiveness at all costs over aesthetics. If you do, that's OK, be up front about it and we can agree to disagree, but if that's the case then let's put aside any talk of aesthetics and honestly admit that something else is the top priority.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 1:27 AM

The Alaska capital makes me wonder what the territorial capitals looked like in the other western states. I know California didnt go through a territorial period but some of the other western states did have lenghty territorial eras.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 1:38 AM
Fourth and Main

I seem to remember hearing from someone, Ohio's capitol was unfinished? I would ask an Ohio resident to confirm this though. What I heard: The problems were connected to fights over cities to become the capitol and I think a change in architects during construction? Again, I would suggest asking an expert in Ohio history about this. I could be wrong.

I do know my North Carolina history. As was said earlier, North Carolina was viewed as a backwater at the time and was subject to many jokes. The coastline was dangerous for ships and the state didn't have any good ports, like its neighbors. The nearest good ports were in Virginia and South Carolina. Also only a small part of the state was in the wealthy cotton belt. North Carolina residents had no pride in where they were from and the Presidents from North Carolina (seen in front of the Capitol Building) would say they were from Tennessee or South Carolina. Many residents wanted to leave. South Carolina and Virginia were wealthy, powerful and respected and North Carolina was the area looked down on in the middle. North Carolina purchased a farm to build a grand city of government and education to show outsiders visiting the capitol and the farm became Raleigh. Construction on the city was scaled back and some projects delayed, due to low tax collection. Construction of the capitol building was delayed and the building changed architects several times during construction. I think the previous capitol (temporary building) was made of wood and didn't last long (fire). Each architect changed the original design. At the same time, the state of poor farmers, with little port revenue, complained about high taxes used to build a city to show to outsiders and the grand capitol, which was over budget. Again, North Carolina was a very poor state at the time and didn't grow until after the railroad. There are better capitol buildings, but I still like it and Raleigh is a great city also. Raleigh's development was slowed by leaders who didn't want Raleigh to become a dirty industrial town. They wanted to keep the town's employment focus on education and government. Only in recent years, has Raleigh become a large city and it is among the fastest growing.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 2:04 AM
BANNED

You guys that said you like this capitol were just kidding right? You guys were just fucking with me, weren't you? No semi-rational human being alive can honestly say they like this building. This thing is fucking hideous.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 2:37 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Can't believe the blind allegiance to columns and pediments on this board....

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 3:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_Dayton View Post
That Florida capital looks like it might have been designed by Edward Durrell Stone, since the low rise part (sans tits) resembles the dormitories at UofK deisgned by him.
Like many states, Florida has an "old" (and historic) state capital that the modern state simply outgrew:

Old Florida Capital (in foreground)

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State_Capitol

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 3:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post

You guys that said you like this capitol were just kidding right? You guys were just fucking with me, weren't you? No semi-rational human being alive can honestly say they like this building. This thing is fucking hideous.
I'd like it if its purpose was as a mausoleum which is what it immediately makes me think of.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 3:10 AM

I like the Ohio state capital. It's the only green capital building in the country. It was designed from the spare parts of the USS Monitor.

Also... nobody better talk about Nebraska's... because it's awesome. It's even better in person.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
Can't believe the blind allegiance to columns and pediments on this board....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
We're proud of our unique capitol, but thanks anyway.
Im sure theres plenty of New Mexicans that would strongly disagree. With all the Indian, Spanish, Mexican cultures and influences in Santa Fe and New Mexico as a whole, they could've done an amazing structure. Sadly they failed incredibly.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 3:31 AM
Fourth and Main

I agree on Nebraska! They have a beautiful capitol building. My favorite capitol building is Louisiana's Art Deco high-rise state capitol! I would love to see that building in my city and state!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 3:39 AM

I also like Nebraska's Capitol. Bertram Goodhue designed it; he also designed Los Angeles' Central Library, a building I love, and spend a lot of time in as well.

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture