HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 2:48 PM
Community Guy

Hopefully this will assist in pushing for a resolution and proposed development for Rossdale.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 3:38 AM

Staples: How to fix our most glaring failure: river valley development
We need to focus on getting far more people down to Edmonton’s coolest place, the river’s edge

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...651/story.html

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 3:49 AM
Community Guy

A-team... Er men.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:37 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

I agree with much of what Staples says here, but "our most glaring failure" kind of poisoned the message for me. There's little to nothing about the river valley I would consider a failure, let alone a glaring one, let alone our "most glaring".

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:42 PM

I don't think he's saying the river valley itself is a failure, just the attempts to develop it for use other than joggers and cyclists.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:47 PM
Community Guy

^^uses and accessibility for more people, events and places to dine/drink.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 3:17 PM
Erik Soderstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^^uses and accessibility for more people, events and places to dine/drink.
Roger that!

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 3:22 PM
Community Guy

It is our seawall, our front porch, our mountains and our vista... yet we still only use it in a marginal way imo.

It is great for many things right now, but we need more people on the river and BESIDE the river.

The FACT that we have almost NO places to eat and or drink with a nice view of it is truly unfortunate... especially given that our climate/topography is rather harsh/boring.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 3:35 PM
Erik Soderstrom

Quote:
It is our seawall, our front porch, our mountains and our vista... yet we still only use it in a marginal way imo.

It is great for many things right now, but we need more people on the river and BESIDE the river.

The FACT that we have almost NO places to eat and or drink with a nice view of it is truly unfortunate... especially given that our climate/topography is rather harsh/boring.
Well said. While i understand the attraction and the need to keep much of the valley pristine, there is 50km of river bank running through Edmonton proper and the several kms at the downtown core have already been massively disturbed - in short, about as 'natural' as my back yard. I think we should identify serveral of these kms on both sides of the bank for a more urban experience as Coldrsx describes. Riverwalk, shops, bistros, river taxi, kayak rentals, paddle boats, etc. Its time. its more than time. Don't misunderstand me, i enjoy the hiking trails too. but i'd also like to enjoy the river with a gourmet meal on a deck with my beverage of choice.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 3:36 PM

I think once the new Walterdale bridge is finished, we'll likely see lower Rossdale developed, which will hopefully include some riverside amenities.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 3:51 PM
Community Guy

Speaking of which, why doesn't Hawrelak and Victoria GC have year round destination dinning establishments?

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 3:21 AM

I hope the city will allow kids to bring their toboggans on the LRT to go tobogganing at Gallagher park when the new line is built.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 3:40 AM
Community Guy

I will be doing just that, skis too!

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
I hope the city will allow kids to bring their toboggans on the LRT to go tobogganing at Gallagher park when the new line is built.
Bikes are allowed - so should tobbagans - in the last train car.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 6:17 PM
Community Guy

River valley fans offer feedback on three Terwillegar trail options

BY KIM MAGI, EDMONTON JOURNAL

EDMONTON - Nadine Leenders loves the concept of a connected river valley.

That’s why she, along with dozens of others, packed an open house on the proposed Terwillegar Park footbridge and west end trails, Saturday at the Alfred H. Savage Centre.

An avid cyclist and “a bit of a nature nut,” Leenders wanted to get all the information on the three proposed trail options, one of which will eventually connect the new footbridge with the Fort Edmonton footbridge to the north.

“As a cyclist, I just want to get from point A to point B,” she said. She thinks the option that goes straight through the field as opposed to the other two, which go along the river, might be the best.

On April 15, city council approved the environmental impact assessment for the footbridge and south portion of the trail, but requested that an additional route for the north trail through the River Valley Oleskiw lands be explored.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...291/story.html

(http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...?size=620x400s)

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 9:11 PM
Community Guy

RE: LMP beach

Lydia Neufeld
@LydiaNeufeldCBC

No vote from city cmte on Urban beach @ Louise McKinney Pk - requisitioned to full council mtg. #cbc #yeg
Jun. 16, 2014

Lydia Neufeld
@LydiaNeufeldCBC

Counc McKeen says remove sand from dev proj for #yeg Louise McKinney Pk - save $800 thou. #cbc
Jun. 16, 2014

Lydia Neufeld
@LydiaNeufeldCBC

Counc McKeen suggests no sand for Louise McKinney Pk - cost for sand $800 thou.#cbc
Jun. 16, 2014

Lydia Neufeld
@LydiaNeufeldCBC

Counc Sohi - more rec uses in McKinney Park good for ppl who live in downtown #cbc #yeg #urban beach
Jun. 16, 2014

Lydia Neufeld
@LydiaNeufeldCBC

Counc Sohi - move away from beach call it "sand based rec experience". Supports plan for urban beach Louise McKinney Pk #yeg #cbc
Jun. 16, 2014

Lydia Neufeld
@LydiaNeufeldCBC

#yeg counc. cmte talking urban beach Louis McKinney Park. Counc Nickel wants to put proposal to bed. Counc Henderson wants go ahead. #cbc

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 12:45 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Quote:
RE: LMP beach

Lydia Neufeld
@LydiaNeufeldCBC

No vote from city cmte on Urban beach @ Louise McKinney Pk - requisitioned to full council mtg. #cbc #yeg
Jun. 16, 2014

Lydia Neufeld
@LydiaNeufeldCBC

Counc McKeen says remove sand from dev proj for #yeg Louise McKinney Pk - save $800 thou. #cbc
Jun. 16, 2014

Lydia Neufeld
@LydiaNeufeldCBC

Counc McKeen suggests no sand for Louise McKinney Pk - cost for sand $800 thou.#cbc
Jun. 16, 2014

Lydia Neufeld
@LydiaNeufeldCBC

Counc Sohi - more rec uses in McKinney Park good for ppl who live in downtown #cbc #yeg #urban beach
Jun. 16, 2014

Lydia Neufeld
@LydiaNeufeldCBC

Counc Sohi - move away from beach call it "sand based rec experience". Supports plan for urban beach Louise McKinney Pk #yeg #cbc
Jun. 16, 2014

Lydia Neufeld
@LydiaNeufeldCBC

#yeg counc. cmte talking urban beach Louis McKinney Park. Counc Nickel wants to put proposal to bed. Counc Henderson wants go ahead. #cbc

Urban beach idea to be dug up in 2019

Edmonton Journal

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Call it a sandbox, volleyball court or "sand-based recreational experience," but Edmonton's urban beach will get another hearing before city council in 2019.

The $1.4-million, 800-squaremetre amenity will be put on hiatus until then as Louise Mc-Kinney Park becomes the main construction access point for the Valley Line LRT bridge. But on Monday, city councillors on the community services committee discussed whether or not to resurrect the beach concept when council begins adding finishing touches to the park in five years.

Two of four committee members - Coun. Mike Nickel and Coun. Tony Caterina - wanted to toss the idea altogether. "It should be dead by now," said Nickel. Coun. Ben Henderson, another committee member, said the beach would create an amenity where one doesn't exist. Other councillors weighed in on the discussions, often quibbling with the "beach" label. In the end, the concept was given a stay of execution by Coun. Michael Oshry, who supported a motion from Henderson to refer it back to city council.

© Edmonton Journal 2014

Copyright © 2014 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...d99d3&sponsor=

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 3:10 PM
Community Guy

Why not make this part of the 1% for public 'art' for the LRT and open it along with the new line once the work is done in this area....

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 12:01 AM

So I got a package in the mail re: EPCOR wanting to build a new underground 240 kV transmission line from the Rossdale plant to a substation in Garneau. I had no idea there was still going to be a substation maintained at the Rossdale plant. Were the rest of you aware of this?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 12:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
So I got a package in the mail re: EPCOR wanting to build a new underground 240 kV transmission line from the Rossdale plant to a substation in Garneau. I had no idea there was still going to be a substation maintained at the Rossdale plant. Were the rest of you aware of this?
Copypasta from my answer on C2E

Yep. The substation & water treatment plants were always confirmed as continuing operations & were marked as such on any of the Rossdale redevelopment pitches that have been made. The switchyard can't really be moved without massive reworking of the downtown grid, even if power isn't being produced adjacent to it.

More info on the project is available at http://www.epcor.com/outreach/south-.../overview.aspx

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton