HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 6:22 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurph View Post
It's amazing the difference in how well species weather this kind of storm. Elms look like they should be vulnerable, but even the dead branches on poorly pruned elms seem OK. Meanwhile Manitoba Maples and Poplars drop huge limbs and occasionally come down altogether. It's too bad so much of our canopy is made up of those two trees. The manitoba maples are particularly bad -- I always watch for them when I'm parking in any kind of heavy wind or snow.
I suspect the reason behind the poplars being hit so hard is they tend to rot from the inside and a lot of them are reaching the end of their life cycle (the city has been removing and replacing them over the last 10 or so years). Also seems that poplars and maples tend to grow their main branches more horizontal than the elms.

Note: the above is purely based on my observations, I have not formal training.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation