HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Central Station Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Phoenix Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 12:55 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

PHOENIX | Central Station Tower | 390 FT | 34 FLOORS

Renderings:

Quote:
Smithfield Properties is being proposed as the winner of the Phoenix Central Station project. The project appears to be an “air-rights” development over the Central Avenue-Van Buren Street intermodal transit center, which is to be transformed into a 476-unit residential tower attached to parking and the transit center.

“Air rights” development occurs when the city retains ownership of the ground and a ground-level facility—in this case the transit center—and allows the developer to construct the new building above that city property. At press time, AZBEX was unable to confirm whether the land will conveyed fee simple, ground-leased or if the developer would use air rights.

Phoenix Economic Development Program Manager Eric Johnson said the design-build development is being handled by Smithfield. Johnson also said he could not discuss any project details because negotiations are ongoing and the procurement process is still open.

The Chicago-based developer has built similar high-rise residential towers in the Midwest. Under construction now is the 33-story, $55M, 324-unit SoNo East on Chicago’s Gold Coast.

The developer proposes the 34-story residential tower—with a mix of market-rate studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments—adjoining a multistory parking garage built over 10KSF in office space and the intermodal Central Station transit center.
Site Plan:

===========================
http://azbex.com/smithfield-properti...on-in-phoenix/
http://www.emporis.com/building/cent...phoenix-az-usa

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 6:39 AM
Chairman

The design of this tower is descent. In addition, this development will provide more density and skyline depth.

-sb

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 6:51 AM

Chicago developer to build Phoenix's tallest residential high-rise

Looks like this is actually happening.....

Phoenix has selected a Chicago developer to build the city's largest and tallest residential high-rise in downtown, a 34-story glass tower that will change the city's skyline.

Plans for the massive development, known as Phoenix Central Station, include about 475 apartments, 30,000 square feet of commercial space and a dog park. It will meld those uses with a bustling transit hub already on the site at 300 N. Central Avenue.

Smith Partners LLC is expected to begin construction on the $82 million development by August 2015 and open its doors in 2017.

Phoenix leaders said Central Station will bolster the cultural and economic renaissance underway in the downtown core. The area has transformed in recent years as the city has invested heavily in a light-rail system and incentives to lure large developments.

Attracting more residents, officials said, is the next step toward attracting new amenities and keeping downtown's restaurants, bars and shops in business. David Krietor, CEO of the marketing and planning group Downtown Phoenix Inc., said the Central Station project has the potential to create an entirely new neighborhood within downtown, bringing more than 600 people to a lot that currently serves a limited purpose as a bus and light-rail stop.

"We really are beginning to develop an extremely vibrant place whose economic success, I think, is helping the rest of the city," Krietor said.

Phoenix owns the land and wanted a project that would integrate with the site's light-rail stations and create a urban environment friendly to residents, shoppers, pedestrians and bicyclists.

Councilwoman Kate Gallego, whose district includes parts of downtown, has emphasized the need to make the project walkable and appealing at the street level by including space for recreation and work areas for budding entrepreneurs.

"Some of the buildings we've built in our downtown have a more suburban feel," she said. "The more you can design the major street spaces to be attractive to pedestrians, the more vibrant it will feel, the more we'll get that active downtown feel that people are beginning to celebrate."

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:08 AM

This is a nice tower, hopefully they build it. I feel like Phoenix's skyline should be taller though with the city reaching major city status and a population approaching 2 million people. I guess there is always the future for that.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 12:45 PM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
This is a nice tower, hopefully they build it. I feel like Phoenix's skyline should be taller though with the city reaching major city status and a population approaching 2 million people. I guess there is always the future for that.
Height restrictions can't build more then 400ft in most parts of the city

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Height restrictions can't build more then 400ft in most parts of the city
About time to get rid of those.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 2:20 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Those are airport height limits. Not sure if its worth the effort to wrangle with the FAA to get those changed. Up to 600' is allowed on the edge of downtown though.

http://www.codepublishing.com/az/pho...enixZ1202.html

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 2:30 PM
Ex Houstonian

Phoenix needs a super tall.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 2:36 PM
arf

Phoenix needs to build the Copenhagen of America. Embrace the height restriction and build a human-scaled city. It could be awesome.

A reasonable, simple tower.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 3:00 PM

If they can't build tall because of the airport they need to move the center of downtown to somewhere where they can build taller. I think its a missed opportunity for Phoenix, Las Vegas is beating it to the punch. And Phoenix is probably going to end up being the larger more important city.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 3:19 PM
Chairman

Quote:
If they can't build tall because of the airport they need to move the center of downtown to somewhere where they can build taller. I think its a missed opportunity for Phoenix, Las Vegas is beating it to the punch. And Phoenix is probably going to end up being the larger more important city.
It is at street level which is more important than up in the air. Tall buildings are great, but I like developments which have interaction at the street level. As an example, Washington DC has a very stringent height restriction, but is very well alive at the street level; even into the late night hours.

-sb

Last edited by shakman; Oct 14, 2014 at 3:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Please tell that to the FAA.
All the city has to do is negotiate with them. I can't figure out why people always use that argument, its your government. You have the ability to play a part in it.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 8:40 AM

News report on the project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOfSghLsyPw

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 6:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It's not necessary. Downtown phoenix jut needs to build more mid-rise dense housing to create a downtown that actually is inviting. Skyscrapers are a luxury and should not be the first priority. #1 is getting a vibrant city going, skyscrapers if needed will come later. There are far too many american downtowns with scrapers but not a soul goes there other than work and then they are dead most of the time.

I agree with the person who said Copenhagen. yes, not every cbd in america needs a skyscraper. What use is that when the city has no housing or activity outside work hours? I think lower but dense housing is a better approach than a few tall towers surrounded by parkings lots.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

It'll get there. Given how much land there is, and the price of such land, its cheaper to just expand than it is to build upwards. But the city itself is still relatively young. It will have its mid rise/high rise boom eventually as land becomes tight. Although Phoenix is really a huge blunder on the part of urban planning. If only they had focuses on smart policies from the beginning and if it didn't mindlessly sprawl. It sucks because I would really have liked it if it was efficient.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 5:02 PM
them bones

Uh, the only difference between Phoenix and other US cities of similar size is that Phoenix lacks a real urban core. Every city sprawls in horrible ways, but in terms of efficiency at least Phoenix tends to sprawl in contiguous increments rather than the leapfrog pattern you see everywhere east of the Rockies.

It isn't any better or worse than anywhere else in those terms.

But I digress.

This is a nice tower for the Phoenix skyline, but it does little to activate the street and unfortunately that's what the central city needs right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
It'll get there. Given how much land there is, and the price of such land, its cheaper to just expand than it is to build upwards. But the city itself is still relatively young. It will have its mid rise/high rise boom eventually as land becomes tight. Although Phoenix is really a huge blunder on the part of urban planning. If only they had focuses on smart policies from the beginning and if it didn't mindlessly sprawl. It sucks because I would really have liked it if it was efficient.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 5:54 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Project is going to start by summer. Completion by 2017.

Site Plans:

==============================
http://constructionreporternews.com/...r/#prettyPhoto

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 9:51 PM

What’s the deal with the Central Station apartment tower development in downtown Phoenix?

Quote:
There’s plenty of construction going on with apartments and even a few condos in downtown and central Phoenix.

But one much-anticipated project where dirt isn’t yet being moved is a proposed 34-story apartment tower set to be built on the site of the Central Station light rail stop and Valley Metro bus hub.

The city of Phoenix picked Chicago-based Smithfield Properties LLC last year to redevelop the transit station into a $72 million apartment tower at Van Buren Street and Central Avenue.

The development is on city land that houses the transit station. But the developer needs to work a deal with the Federal Transit Administration to get the development going, according to city officials.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 9:14 PM

This one can likely be written off as cancelled. The developer passed away a yr ago and there's been no update since then.

Developer’s death could dim big downtown development

Aug 25, 2016

Quote:
Chicago real estate developer Bill Smith died earlier this summer. He was 65 and died from a heart attack in Illinois.

Prior to his death, Smith was taking the lead in a proposed $72 million, 34-story apartment tower on top of the Central Station transit station in downtown Phoenix.

Smithfield has offices in Chicago and Paradise Valley. The phone number was disconnected at the Paradise Valley office. Telephone calls and emails to the company have not yet been returned.

Phoenix spokeswoman Cynthia Weaver said the city has not been notified of any changes of status to the potential development.

But a number of knowledgable real estate sources increasingly doubt the downtown tower will get developed. Progress on the redevelopment was already slow before Smith’s death and they viewed Smith as the spearheading force behind the idea.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive