HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1041  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 6:57 AM
UrbanClimate's Avatar
UrbanClimate UrbanClimate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 315
Regina













Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1042  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 2:13 PM
thefourthtower thefourthtower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rueannatta
Posts: 2,597
Thank you very much for the great shots of the down town core they look amazing , the high rise capital of the province
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1043  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 2:41 PM
StealthGirl's Avatar
StealthGirl StealthGirl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 864
Where in east Regina would there be a good space for a soccer facility of that size? Or would it be more on the outskirts like the hardball diamonds on/near Tower Road?

Residential vacancy numbers are out today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstalk980
A report presented to the Mayor's Housing Commission Tuesday afternoon showed the spring vacancy rate rose to 2.5 per cent, up from 1.8 per cent.
http://www.cjme.com/story/reginas-va...25-cent/400338
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1044  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 3:55 PM
Treesplease Treesplease is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
When I was home, even tho it was so nice to see the incredible amount of new developments and revitalization in certain areas of Regina, when I was downtown the one visual aspect that I could not take my eyes away from was the brutal amount of sidewalks falling into or already in disrepair. Even Victoria avenue which is a major gateway looked awful. Yes they are re doing broad street and I know they can only repair what they can with the budgets but does anyone know what the city's plan (if there even is one) is regarding the sidewalk system downtown? They want to make it more pedestrian friendly yet a lot of the areas are not very friendly to walk on in the first place.
The spooky part is that the sidewalks downtown are a lot better than they were at this time last year. Now you can at least walk downtown without fear of falling into a knee deep hole in the middle of the sidewalk (mostly).

On the topic of sidewalk construction - I am amazed at the lackadaisical pace of sidewalk construction when it does happen - the stretch of south Albert has to be the worst - plodding along and pouring maybe 20 ft of concrete per day. And if there are more than 2 drops of rain they just pack up and don't return for days. I could understand the pace and priority if it was some stretch of suburban crescent - but Broad and Albert streets?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1045  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 5:23 PM
thefourthtower thefourthtower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rueannatta
Posts: 2,597
http://www.leaderpost.com/business/e...303/story.html

Economic development corridor names new president/CEO

By Terrence mceachern, Leader-Post August 6, 2014 8:09 AM
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1046  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 5:42 PM
Tyvan Tyvan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9
Has anyone heard any news regarding the Westerra Development on the west side of the city?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1047  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 7:23 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvan View Post
Has anyone heard any news regarding the Westerra Development on the west side of the city?

The City gave it a (phased-in) green light

http://www.leaderpost.com/Regina+dev...586/story.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1048  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 8:55 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,833
Of all the developments listed as going ahead the only one we don't know anything about is The Towns South. I know it's north of the Greens on Gardiner, but to my knowledge no information has been made public.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1049  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 8:55 PM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,474
Interesting.

Can't wait to see Harbour Landing West and the new area north of Lakeridge.

I can imagine Harbour Landing west going from Campbell Street to Courtney. I wonder when they plan to close the access to the TCH between the two. As that would be a BIG hazard. Similar to what they are trying to correct at White City. Also I hope that they decide to build an interchange at what would be Pinky Road and the West Bypass. And connect Parliament to it. That way at least the connections to that neighborhood would have good network access. Maybe another interchange at Courtney and TCH or a flyover to the south service road?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1050  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 9:35 PM
ceedub1170's Avatar
ceedub1170 ceedub1170 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 406
Old South Canadian Tire

So far, I have heard of one business going into the old Canadian Tire on South Albert. Fionn MacCools will open sometime next year. It's an Irish pub chain from Atlantic Canada.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1051  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 9:36 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Of all the developments listed as going ahead the only one we don't know anything about is The Towns South. I know it's north of the Greens on Gardiner, but to my knowledge no information has been made public.
Here you go....http://www.regina.ca/opencms/export/...8/rpc08-48.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1052  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 10:08 PM
Tyvan Tyvan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The City gave it a (phased-in) green light

http://www.leaderpost.com/Regina+dev...586/story.html
I wonder when they will begin work on the Westerra development? I think that is a nice spot....close enough to downtown and yet will be quiet neighborhood.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1053  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 10:32 PM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvan View Post
I wonder when they will begin work on the Westerra development? I think that is a nice spot....close enough to downtown and yet will be quiet neighborhood.
Quiet might be a bit of a misnomer. CP Rail line and Airport are right there. However once the West Bypass is complete to Highway 11 the trucks will likely be banned from Dewdney except for local deliveries. As currently they (trucks) are reaping havoc on that road.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1054  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 10:32 PM
Treesplease Treesplease is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The City gave it a (phased-in) green light

http://www.leaderpost.com/Regina+dev...586/story.html
Perhaps I’m just way out of the loop and not the least bit current on city happenings (likely) but the decision to pass the true cost of suburb development (an increased portion of it anyway) on to developers and onto suburb home buyers by default seems extremely significant to me. A 36% increase in the per hectare development costs onto developers is a large jump. This has the potential to balance the cost curve between infill developments and outlying burb developments and financially “curb” sprawl. Although even at $359k per hectare it seems relatively cheap for all the roads and sewer pipes required. I haven’t heard mention of this change in development pricing before?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1055  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 11:08 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Perhaps I’m just way out of the loop and not the least bit current on city happenings (likely) but the decision to pass the true cost of suburb development (an increased portion of it anyway) on to developers and onto suburb home buyers by default seems extremely significant to me. A 36% increase in the per hectare development costs onto developers is a large jump. This has the potential to balance the cost curve between infill developments and outlying burb developments and financially “curb” sprawl. Although even at $359k per hectare it seems relatively cheap for all the roads and sewer pipes required. I haven’t heard mention of this change in development pricing before?
To be clear, the City does not pay for the pipes, parks and roads within the new subdivision. The developer must pay for that and then turn them over to the City for free. The City pays for the connections to the edge of the subdivision. Sometimes there is an agreement to share certain costs within the subdivision for arterial roads or trunk lines that also service other areas of the City.

The Development levy is for infrastructure outside of the subdivision such as arterials, trunk lines, recreational facilities and parks that might directly or indirectly benefit the subdivision.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1056  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 2:22 AM
Treesplease Treesplease is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
To be clear, the City does not pay for the pipes, parks and roads within the new subdivision. The developer must pay for that and then turn them over to the City for free. The City pays for the connections to the edge of the subdivision. Sometimes there is an agreement to share certain costs within the subdivision for arterial roads or trunk lines that also service other areas of the City.

The Development levy is for infrastructure outside of the subdivision such as arterials, trunk lines, recreational facilities and parks that might directly or indirectly benefit the subdivision.
So the per hectare costs referenced in the article (up to $359k/hectare) are in addition to the costs of roads, pipes, infrastructure? In any case the developer won't be absorbing the costs they will be passing most of it on. Seems like the change will move towards more of a balance of the true costs of suburban development and encourage more infill development. If only they could address heritage property development (though, likely not as simple as a one sentence statement).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1057  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 2:36 AM
StealthGirl's Avatar
StealthGirl StealthGirl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 864
Fionn McCools was open in the Travelodge South at one point (post Blarney Stone, pre-Johnny Fox).

I've heard that the developers in Greens on Gardiner got approval to push the proposed SE High school out of Greens into the Towns. I hope that's not true as it just moves it closer to Vic and closer to Johnson's catchment area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1058  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 4:15 AM
sask1982's Avatar
sask1982 sask1982 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post

I've heard that the developers in Greens on Gardiner got approval to push the proposed SE High school out of Greens into the Towns. I hope that's not true as it just moves it closer to Vic and closer to Johnson's catchment area.
When has there been a new high school announced? I thought joint elementary schools are the only new schools confirmed to happen.

PS: what's/where's Johnson's catchment area?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1059  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 4:52 AM
Robag Robag is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Regina
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post

I've heard that the developers in Greens on Gardiner got approval to push the proposed SE High school out of Greens into the Towns. I hope that's not true as it just moves it closer to Vic and closer to Johnson's catchment area.
This would make me happy, as I'd rather not have a high school a couple blocks from my house.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1060  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 6:22 AM
Iloveregina Iloveregina is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 6
Harbour landing trees

Anyone knows who puts the plants/trees by the side walks and on the beulovards in the Harbour Landing area? I wonder if it's the City or developer of that area! They look really nice and green, but there are a few obvious spots along the path that there is no tree. Just wanted to point out to them if I knew whom to report to. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:58 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.