HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 6:22 PM
Time/Space

The New York Post says that it will be about 700 feet and then the Dailynews says it will be 1,000 feet. So what is it.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 6:35 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jularc View Post
The New York Post says that it will be about 700 feet and then the Dailynews says it will be 1,000 feet. So what is it.
Hmmmm.....the Post or Daily News. I would like to believe it's 1,000'.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 6:35 PM

In any case, I'm pretty sure that the Dailynews figure includes the spire.
Even so, there is a discrepancy.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 6:50 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
In any case, I'm pretty sure that the Dailynews figure includes the spire.
Even so, there is a discrepancy.
Even if they are, that would have to mean that the spire is 300 feet (if the roof is 700'). Doesn't add up. That spire looks barely 100'.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 7:53 PM

Hate to say it, but it does look closer to 700 than to 1000.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 8:00 PM
Landmark Restored

The Daily News wrote...

"...would rise up to 1,000 feet tall, by some estimates..."

In other words the estimates are guesses by members at Wired New York who posted the rendering and broke the story.

The NYPost also acknowledges this...

"...which some online estimates yesterday put at 1,000 feet tall."

In other words Wired New York members guesses again.

I wouldn't put any stock into these guesses because they are just guesses no different than guesses here.

A source familar with the project is what I would rely on...

"Sources familiar with the project say they expect it to top off at around 700 feet."

So around 700 feet, maybe a little more with that silly spire. Lets not forget this project is only 65 mostly residential storeys.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 8:02 PM
World Machine

It does look more like 700' from the renderings. No complaints about the height, but I wouldn't mind if they pushed 300' more.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 9:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
1,000'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is too cool.
You must not have read both articles.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 9:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Post
While the developer's Forest City Ratner Companies declined to comment on the specifics, a spokesman said estimates of the height "were way off base."

Sources familiar with the project say they expect it to top off at around 700 feet
That's what I would go with, but also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily News
Artist's renderings for the tower, ....may not reflect the developer's current vision for the building, sources said. But even a modified version would likely be taller than the bank, they said.

"This model is an old model," said Forest City Ratner spokesman Loren Riegelhaupt, who said a height for the building has not been decided. "It's an early rendering and not a reflection of what we're considering today."
So don't get too excited about the rendering. It would probably be something very different.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 12:14 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
You must not have read both articles.
Yeah, I went back and did about 10 minutes after I posted that. I really never count on the Post or Daily for my news. Tabloid journalism. I'm probably the only person who reads the NYT.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I went back and did about 10 minutes after I posted that. I really never count on the Post or Daily for my news. Tabloid journalism. I'm probably the only person who reads the NYT.
for reliable news in the city, the NYT and the WSJ are it. The post and the news are mainly tabloids for the subway riders.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 2:24 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporvr6 View Post
for reliable news in the city, the NYT and the WSJ are it. The post and the news are mainly tabloids for the subway riders.
I'll pick up a copy of the Post to kill some time, if there's nothing going on. Other than that, it's just the NYT for me.

(back on topic)

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 5:43 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I highly doubt it. But even the Times quotes the other papers as a source from time to time. You just have to separate the news from the extra stuff. To me, the Post and the Daily News are the real New York papers. The Times isn't so much a local paper as it is a paper that has local coverage. You can read the Times anywhere, but people not from New York won't know what to make of the News and the Post.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 6:44 AM
low-riding

yea it didn't look like it broke 800ft to me. maybe the spire did but 1000 feet was too tall an order for that render. Although the idea of 1000 footer in Brooklyn never crossed my mind before because i had convinced myself it had a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening. suddenly im more optimistic to the idea

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 1:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
yea it didn't look like it broke 800ft to me. maybe the spire did but 1000 feet was too tall an order for that render. Although the idea of 1000 footer in Brooklyn never crossed my mind before because i had convinced myself it had a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening. suddenly im more optimistic to the idea

We can always dream, especially with the way things are going in Brooklyn now. Once those 700 ft towers are built, the stigma of building higher than the Williamsburgh will be forgotten...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 5:13 PM

From the rendering it appears to be in the upper 700's occupied floors, possibly +800ft at the structural height which would be just great for downtown Brooklyn. Well in-scale with the surrounding bldgs.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 2:49 AM
New Yorker for life

They won't get it right at the Brooklyn Paper either...
http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories...editorial.html

Another backroom deal

December 1, 2007

At first blush, we have no reason to object to Bruce Ratner’s apparent plan to build the city’s tallest residential tower — a 1,000-foot-tall, glass-walled skyscraper at the corner of Tillary and Jay streets.

Thanks to a 2004 upzoning of Downtown Brooklyn, the sky is literally the limit for such Manhattan-style buildings — and unlike Ratner’s completely out-of-scale skyscraper park at Atlantic Yards in the low-rise Prospect Heights neighborhood, we have always said that Downtown is the place for high-rise growth (with proper planning, of course).

And Ratner’s design for his tower — which was splashed all over the city’s tabloids this week — was crafted by Renzo Piano, the same bona-fide starchitect whose recently built New York Times tower near Times Square is earning praise.

So why are we already concerned about Ratner’s latest project? Let us count the ways:

• For two years, Ratner and his government partners — in this case, the City University of New York, which owns the land on which Ratner would be hired to build a new classroom building and then construct his own skyscraper — have flatly refused to reveal the nature of their deal.

• CUNY will not even give out its initial “request for proposals,” a key document that reveals what the university sought from developers — and what it was willing to pay the winning bidder — at the City Tech site. Such RFPs are public documents — indeed, making them public is exactly how developers and other stakeholders can submit competitive bids. Keeping RFPs secret makes a mockery of the bidding process.

• CUNY won’t say how many bids it received last year or how it came to select Ratner as the winning bidder. And the university won’t let the public know what is in Ratner’s bid that made his better than others — an inexcusable lack of transparency from a public institution that prevents the public itself from knowing if officials are acting in its best interests.

• Ratner’s people aren’t talking, either — more secrecy from a developer who has made his living by partnering with public entities on projects, like Atlantic Yards and Metrotech, that are approved outside the normal and rigorous city land-use review process.

All developers make promises, and some of them fall short some of the time. But Ratner has fallen short most of the time, and has been paid handsomely for each insult. From the government-subsidized sterility of his fortress-like Metrotech (with its unused retail spaces and poor job-creation numbers), to the government bailout at Ratner’s pathetic Atlantic Center Mall, to the ever-rising taxpayer subsidy that underwrites his shell game at Atlantic Yards, there has been no accountability. Government keeps on partnering with Ratner — not only on the projects, but on the clandestine planning process, too.

There are already many cheerleaders for Ratner’s City Tech tower. But until public officials answer reasonable questions about this backroom deal, and show us that the public, and not only Bruce Ratner, will benefit generously from this project, we will remain skeptical.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 2:55 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories...rbrooklyn.html

Mr. Brooklyn

Bruce Ratner is reportedly planning the city’s tallest residential tower, a 1,000-foot spire at the corner of Jay and Tillary streets. He claims this rendering is old, but won’t reveal his current plan. It is unclear why Ratner was chosen over a rival developer.

By Adam F. Hutton
December 1, 2007

Bruce Ratner is planning to build the city’s tallest residential tower — a whopping 1,000-foot skyscraper that would dwarf the 512-foot Williamsburgh Savings Bank building, Brooklyn’s tallest.

But as with Ratner’s Atlantic Yards mega-development, the secret, closed-door deal is already casting a shadow.

“No comment,” Ratner told a Brooklyn Paper reporter who approached him at the annual Metrotech Christmas tree lighting ceremony on Wednesday night, hours after renderings of the Renzo Piano–designed 1,000-foot-tall edifice at the corner of Jay and Tillary streets were splashed all over the city’s tabloids.

Earlier in the day, a Ratner spokesman said by e-mail that the drawing “was quite old and not indicative of current plans.” But the spokesman refused to say what the current plans are.

Secrecy is nothing new for Ratner. As at Atlantic Yards, Ratner is partnering with a public agency — in this case, City University of New York — in a process that will not undergo the city’s rigorous land-use review process. Current zoning allows Ratner to build as high as he wants — but neither his company nor CUNY officials would say how high that is.

Here are some details about the closed-door public-private partnership:

• The complex — on Jay Street between Tillary Street and Tech Place — would consist of a new, 11- to 14-story City Tech laboratory and classroom building, and an adjacent underground auditorium and gym. It is not known how much Ratner would be paid for this work.

• As part of the package, Ratner would control the corner lot at Jay and Tillary streets — currently home to City Tech’s antiquated Klitgord Auditorium.

• CUNY picked Ratner’s company over rival developer Tishman Speyer in 2005. Details of each company’s bids have not been released to the public despite repeated requests. As a result, it is unclear how much the chosen developer stands to benefit from this public-private partnership.

The Ratner spokesman’s renunciation of the rendering shrouds the project in additional secrecy. The New York Post reported that the building would rise anywhere from 700 to 1,000 feet and include 600 market-rate apartments, retail space on the ground floor and office space for CUNY.

This project represents Ratner’s second attempt to build the tallest building in Brooklyn. His Frank Gehry–designed “Miss Brooklyn” tower was originally slated to be well over 600 feet, but its height was trimmed to 511 feet just before the Atlantic Yards project was approved by the state.

The new “Mr. Brooklyn” tower does not show up in the glitzy presentation of the future of Downtown Brooklyn released last month by the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership.

But Partnership president Joe Chan said he is “excited” by the building, whatever its height may be.

Reaching for the Sky: Here’s how Bruce Ratner’s proposed City Tech tower (which practically begs to be called “Mr. Brooklyn” because of the developer’s Frank Gehry–designed “Miss Brooklyn” tower at Atlantic Yards) would stack up against other New York City Icons. Even at 700 feet, Mr. Brooklyn would be the tallest building on Long Island.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 2:39 PM

In this city, you knew this would not be far behind any large-scale proposals...

Quote:
Parents fear Brooklyn tower plan would hike health risk

BY RACHEL MONAHAN
DAILY NEWS WRITER
Monday,
December 3rd 2007, 4:00 AM

Neighbors of the tallest building proposed for Brooklyn are already worried.

These Brooklynites distressed by the downsides of development are students, parents and staff of the George Westinghouse Career and Technical Education High School in downtown Brooklyn.

"I know things must change, but I don't want them to change at the expense of my child's health," said parent Jessica Welch, whose ninth-grader daughter, Evadnie Lewis, 14, suffers from allergies and had asthma as a young girl.

Renderings of the City Tech Tower - a New York City College of Technology project to be built by Nets Arena developer Forest City Ratner - were published last week.

It is expected to be higher than the Williamsburgh Savings Bank tower, now the borough's tallest building.

Westinghouse parents, students and staff listed the full gamut of woes associated with construction including dust, noise and vibrations, worrying particularly about air quality.

The school is located near the busy intersection of Flatbush Ave. and Tillary St., so it already has air pollution problems, they said.

"Parents are up in arms," said PTA President Jerome Lykes, noting that his daughter Shaeeta, 17, suffers from asthma.

"She doesn't need any more dust going into her lungs."

The school's only outdoor space, used mainly as a parking lot for teachers, may also be handed over to City Tech, said members of the school community.

"DOE is really ready to give it up for their benefit and our detriment," said one staff member.

Department of Education spokeswoman Margie Feinberg said in an e-mail that the project hasn't been "finalized."

"We will work with CUNY to help minimize the disruption that can be caused by construction," she said.

Officials from City Tech and Forest City Ratner declined to comment.

Westinghouse parent Israel Rosario Jr. said his daughter, Dinesha Rosa, 21, attended the school while a Polytechnic University dorm was constructed nearby.

"Kids were being prepared for the Regents. The construction noise wouldn't let them concentrate," he said, fearing his son, ninth-grader Israel Ricardo Rosario, 14, will face the same problem.

"We don't want all that noise," said senior Andy Brutus, 17.

Parents asked for the air conditioners and filters to counteract the noise and pollution. They also asked for monitoring of the air quality.

But they all preferred that the project not go forward.

"Our school is going to be looking like a little old hut. Next, we're afraid they'll scrap the school," said Patricia Joseph, mother of ninth-grader Kadeen, 14.

© Copyright 2007 NYDailyNews.com

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 10:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Daily News
"Kids were being prepared for the Regents. The construction noise wouldn't let them concentrate," he said, fearing his son, ninth-grader Israel Ricardo Rosario, 14, will face the same problem.

"We don't want all that noise," said senior Andy Brutus, 17.
Oh, please...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive