HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Mandarin Oriental Hotel & Residences Atlanta in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Atlanta Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 8:25 PM
FriskyDingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoteDote View Post
So Tivoli's big, triple pace-setting announcement is tonight, 2/21... Here's to hoping it's the Mandarin Oriental, and that it's a real "crown jewel" for the 'Mile.
soo.....?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 11:11 PM
c h i c a g o

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/busi...otel_0229.html

excerpt from the article...
Economic slump slows Atlanta hotel construction

"Hotels announced in Atlanta over the past few years include new brands and well-regarded standbys, such as a Grand Bohemian Hotel in the Perimeter area, the Stanbury in Alpharetta, a Staybridge Suites downtown, and lodging by Hilton, Baccarat Hotel and Residences and 1 Hotel and Residences in Buckhead. Others speculated but not yet official include a Mandarin Oriental, a third Ritz-Carlton, a Waldorf-Astoria and a Trump hotel at the billionaire's condo project in Midtown."

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 11:14 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
soo.....?
There was a lot of discussion about this in another Atlanta thread post-announcement. This announcement reportedly was just a sales incentive for some of their agents to promote sales at their other already-existing properties. Top sellers are to get a new car, or something like that. Nothing related to the MO at all.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 8:21 AM

From the info in the ATL project thread about that gathering, it was suggested that something might be said about this project in about a month.

But it seems pretty clear that what they need most is to get some unsold condo inventory off their backs before anything is going to move forward pretty much anywhere. So, hopefully some realtors have earned a few cars selling condos despite an environment that doesn't sound too friendly to it right now. Wish we could track sales to see if any progress is being made.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 3:13 PM
Back on the road again

"doesn't sound too friendly" is being generous. We're in the midst of the worst housing market in several generations, with near-meltdown conditions in both single family and condo markets. Every time I think housing news can't get worse, it does.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 3:38 PM

But it will recover. and then we will proceed with our skyscraper fantasies

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 10:17 PM

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 2:46 PM

I think we deserve another 700'+ tower. Its been a long time since the last one, 1992 I think.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
Yeah, it is. Sadly, I guess this means we'll never see 13th street connected over to the Crescent side:
The Only fault i could find with Atlanta. Is it's lack of a complete grid. Combine that with street names and your doomed.

Great looking building tho

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 3:05 PM
FriskyDingo

news?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 8:39 PM

I think there was an article a while back about it. It came out this month. I'll go find it at the link in my sig.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 10:59 PM
FriskyDingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
I think there was an article a while back about it. It came out this month. I'll go find it at the link in my sig.
Thanks, I read the article you posted, however does this mean its over? No more MO for ATL?
if soo...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 5:05 PM
Terminus Trouble

Doubt it...

This project seems to have enough steam to move forward. Unlike other projects, i.e. Trump Towers, this project will probaly move foward as long as MO stays on board. If MO wants to move in the Atlanta market now this is probaly there best opportunity to do so (not Buckhead). Did you notice that the article had plenty of speculation from everybody and their mom, but no word from the actual developer of the project...hmmm...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 6:40 PM

Terry Stinson has been promoted to Development Director and President, The Americas, for Mandarin Oriental, based in Atlanta. He joined Mandarin in 1998 as Development Director, based at the corporate headquarters in Hong Kong. He is a former Executive Vice President and General Counsel of Ritz-Carlton Hotels

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 11:13 PM
Urban Explorer

So....now that we know the management is in Atlanta, are we going to see a hotel get built here?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
So....now that we know the management is in Atlanta, are we going to see a hotel get built here?
I doubt it. On their website, they have one underway for Dallas due in 2010 and I don't see Atlanta on there. If Atlanta is to get one then most likely it will not be announced until late 2009 or early 2010. The economy is in a bad shape right now.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 1:43 PM

I believe the Dallas one is stalled is it not?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 4:19 PM

Quote:
I think we deserve another 700'+ tower. Its been a long time since the last one, 1992 I think.
Yea the Bank of america plaza and Sun trust plaza were both built in 1992

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDPhilly View Post
Yea the Bank of america plaza and Sun trust plaza were both built in 1992
We never knew how good we had it back in 1992. Ahh the good old days.
Could it be safe to say that Atlanta has entered a slump in terms of tall buildings? Sure we can snag 400' - 500' er's all day long, but it seems increasingly rare for us to see anything in the rarified 600'+ range. Sovereign is the exception.
Its been 16 years since 1992. Have the best days of Atlanta already passed us by?

Last edited by oldpainless; Jul 1, 2008 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 8:52 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainless View Post
We never knew how good we had it back in 1992. Ahh the good old days.
Could it be safe to say that Atlanta has entered a slump in terms of tall buildings? Sure we can snag 400' - 500' er's all day long, but it seems increasingly rare for us to see anything in the rarified 600'+ range. Sovereign is the exception.
Its been 16 years since 1992. Have the best days of Atlanta already passed us by?
No, those days will return. I will say from a positive standpoint. Those bunch of 400 - 600 foot towers that have gone up within the last 4 years have added tremendous density to the city! Without a doubt there will be another 1,000 footer going up in Atlanta, I'd even say we may hear about a proposal as soon as there are signs that we are out of the recession. With fuel being what it is, people are sqeezing into the center city and real estate near MARTA will be looked upon even more for both residental AND office!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive