HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 10:58 PM
jd3189's Avatar
jd3189 jd3189 is offline
An Optimistic Realist
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Loma Linda, CA / West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,995
What if Los Angeles became the largest city in the US?

This was an idea that got me thinking from the recent NYC thread. I read an article last night discussing how New York was able to maintain its dominance of the most populous city since the colonial era. I’ll place a link later but essentially it came down to it being an excellent major port compared to its peers, an early diverse manufacturing base, and an atmosphere of tolerance, change, and reinventing itself. It was pretty much the only Northern city that survived and thrived in during the suburban craze in the late 20th century.


In the peak of American urbanism in the 1950s or so, most of the largest cities in the country were in the Northeast and Midwest. Fast forward to now, many of the top cities and metros are now in the West and South. Only New York, Chicago, and Philly are still up there but only NYC is bigger now than it was then.


There was an 80s article in the other thread that mentioned that LA was expected to exceed NY in population by 2000. What if that happened? Would things drastically change? Would that be seen as just icing on the cake for the success of the Sunbelt?

Yeah, city proper populations don’t matter as much as the metro size, but there is a pride that is associated with being “big” that we can’t necessarily deny in our dick measuring addicted society But this thread can also consider the possibility of the LA metro also being more populous than the NYC tri-state area.
__________________
There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self.
-Aldous Huxley

Continue improving until the end.
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 11:13 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 25,548
I don't think it would really change much. New York would still be New York and being smaller in population wouldn't really diminish its prominence.
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 11:16 PM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,643
It will never pass the city population. But the metro populations are definitely in play. It's very likley LA will pass the NYC metro, wether it's in our lifetimes or not, barring some massive earthquake.

However, I don't think much would change because its so isolated. NYC is in a perfect location to maintain it's dominance in many areas. But it's going to be interesting to see LA grow up though.

It's astonishing a place like this got built, when you fly out west over hundreds of miles of NOTHING to get there.
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 11:24 PM
DCReid DCReid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
It will never pass the city population. But the metro populations are definitely in play. It's very likley LA will pass the NYC metro, wether it's in our lifetimes or not, barring some massive earthquake.

However, I don't think much would change because its so isolated. NYC is in a perfect location to maintain it's dominance in many areas. But it's going to be interesting to see LA grow up though.

It's astonishing a place like this got built, when you fly out west over hundreds of miles of NOTHING to get there.
A more interesting question will be whether the Texas metros of DFW and Houston pass LA and Chicago over the next 30 years. Or whether they will hit a growth plateau like LA has (i.e., grow more slowly). And how big will Austin metro get; whether it will surpass all Midwestern metros except Chicago.
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 11:27 PM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,643
I don't see that happening at all, ever. At least for LA. In 30 years?

Dallas and Houston would have to hit 20 million, at least. They're going to more than double in size in 30 years? How much have they grown since 1990? 3 million?
They will definitely plateu well, well before that.
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 2:03 AM
ThePhun1 ThePhun1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston/Galveston
Posts: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I don't see that happening at all, ever. At least for LA. In 30 years?

Dallas and Houston would have to hit 20 million, at least. They're going to more than double in size in 30 years? How much have they grown since 1990? 3 million?
They will definitely plateu well, well before that.
Houston has nothing but space for high density growth in all directions. The only thing I see slowing it down is a very legit concern about flood control.

Even two large hurricanes haven't slowed growth much, though God forbid what I'm thinking would be a test.
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 2:11 AM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,643
It's not high density. It's very low density

And yes, people will move to cheaper cities, as they always have.

What's the draw in Texas besides col?
Not much.
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 1:39 AM
Sun Belt's Avatar
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
Love it or leave it : )
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The Envy of the World
Posts: 4,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
A more interesting question will be whether the Texas metros of DFW and Houston pass LA and Chicago over the next 30 years. Or whether they will hit a growth plateau like LA has (i.e., grow more slowly). And how big will Austin metro get; whether it will surpass all Midwestern metros except Chicago.
I don't see anything that'll stop Texas cities from continuing to be the leaders in growth decade after decade.

LA is growing slowly because there's not much available land left to develop easily.
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 1:47 AM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
I don't see anything that'll stop Texas cities from continuing to be the leaders in growth decade after decade.

LA is growing slowly because there's not much available land left to develop easily.

Crawford pointed out why.
Once it gets more expensive, it's going to lose a ton of growth.

The same people getting priced out of the north east and California will get priced out of Texas, Florida and Georgia.
It's just a matter of time.
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 1:48 AM
Sun Belt's Avatar
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
Love it or leave it : )
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The Envy of the World
Posts: 4,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Crawford pointed out why.
Once it gets more expensive, it's going to lose a ton of growth.
Not really. It's all relative. If Texas is expensive, that means that California and the Northeast are really f'n expensive.

Are people going to stop moving to Texas for Mississippi?

Texas has land, lots of it. California does not. New York certainly does not.
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 5:07 AM
jtown,man jtown,man is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 2,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Crawford pointed out why.
Once it gets more expensive, it's going to lose a ton of growth.

The same people getting priced out of the north east and California will get priced out of Texas, Florida and Georgia.
It's just a matter of time.
Texas will never...ever be as expensive as California. For a lot of reasons.
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:37 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Crawford pointed out why.
Once it gets more expensive, it's going to lose a ton of growth.

The same people getting priced out of the north east and California will get priced out of Texas, Florida and Georgia.
It's just a matter of time.
This is pretty apt on a macro measure.

The easiest places to develop, develop first, they are now the classic old metros we know today, Modern development (basically world war two on) has gone to the less cheap and desirable developments to secondary ones. (Sunbelt Boom Growth)

As the Sunbelt matures (they still have long growth legs many more decades of it) More people will move deeper into "flyover" country for the same reasons they moved to the sunbelt.

Cheaper retirement, Cheaper living, ability to afford housing, new opportunities in new developing cities etc. Places like Idaho, the Dakotas and Montana, Nebraska and Wyoming.

Dont be surprised to see places like Billings, Fargo, and Omaha end up having boom town type growth in the latter part of this century.

For those of you that are still around

Of course all of this is assuming things generally go in the same direction they have gone in the last 100-125 years and we dont have like a global pandemic, or discover some new resource that can replace oil and is located primarily in Alabama and West Virginia etc.
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 1:07 PM
IMBY IMBY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post

LA is growing slowly because there's not much available land left to develop easily.
As long as there's the Coastal Commission, that won't allow any high rises along the CA coastline, and the West L.A. Nimby's, in particular, what can you expect but slow growth. There's plenty of available land, for high rises.
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 11:39 PM
edale edale is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 511
So much can change in 30 years. People thought Detroit was going to continue to boom and become one of the world's biggest cities up through the 1950s. I don't think anyone in 1950 thought the Atlanta or Miami metro areas would be bigger than Boston or Philadelphia in just a few decades time. It's impossible to know what will happen.

I do think water availability is going to come into play more and more in coming decades. Many western metros are on very shaky ground when it comes to water resources, and extended period of droughts could definitely shift growth patterns. Of course, a major earthquake could also change everything overnight. It's fun to play the 'what if' game, but there are just so many unknowns that it's not very productive.
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 11:47 PM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,643
Eh, I don't see it. Houston and Dallas will go grow by 12-14 million after their boom only produced 3-4 million in the same period of time?

What infrastructure do they have can even support that?
Seems like wishful thinking. These southern cities boomed
Because of col. It wasn't that unrealistic.

I've heard DC posters say Washington and Baltimore metro could
Pass la metro . How?
La was always built to be a mega city. So was NYC.
To a lesser degree, Chicago.

Last edited by LA21st; Oct 19, 2019 at 12:00 AM.
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 12:21 AM
galleyfox galleyfox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Eh, I don't see it. Houston and Dallas will go grow by 12-14 million after their boom only produced 3-4 million in the same period of time?

What infrastructure do they have can even support that?
Seems like wishful thinking.

La was always built to be a mega city.
Yep, also just basic geography. LA has a good port on the Pacific for direct trade with Asia that doesn't have to go through the canal, a time zone that is more convenient for Asian clients, great weather. Neither Houston not Dallas have the stupendous location, access or infrastructure that could make them into megacities.

Houston, in particular, is ignoring the waving red flag that is Harris County. If domestic migration has reversed in your city's main county with people fleeing to the exurbs and growth barely sustained by natural increase... well, 1950s Midwest has a story to tell.

https://kinder.rice.edu/2018/04/10/h...ris-county-not

https://kinder.rice.edu/urbanedge/20...-county-growth
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 2:18 AM
ThePhun1 ThePhun1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston/Galveston
Posts: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
Yep, also just basic geography. LA has a good port on the Pacific for direct trade with Asia that doesn't have to go through the canal, a time zone that is more convenient for Asian clients, great weather. Neither Houston not Dallas have the stupendous location, access or infrastructure that could make them into megacities.

Houston, in particular, is ignoring the waving red flag that is Harris County. If domestic migration has reversed in your city's main county with people fleeing to the exurbs and growth barely sustained by natural increase... well, 1950s Midwest has a story to tell.

https://kinder.rice.edu/2018/04/10/h...ris-county-not

https://kinder.rice.edu/urbanedge/20...-county-growth
Houston's MSA used to be Harris County and nothing else. There's now more megaburbs with good schools, McMansions and loveable suburban life. Most of Harris County sucks outside the 610 loop (with some good portions, such as the NASA area already close to built out). Of course people are moving to the fringes.

Last edited by ThePhun1; Oct 19, 2019 at 4:20 AM.
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 11:44 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 25,548
Houston was at 3.3 million in 1990 and is 7 million today while Dallas was 3.8 million in 1990 and is around 7.5 million today. I don't see Houston or DFW ever passing LA but I could see one or both of them surpassing Chicago within 30 years.
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 6:40 PM
austlar1 austlar1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Houston was at 3.3 million in 1990 and is 7 million today while Dallas was 3.8 million in 1990 and is around 7.5 million today. I don't see Houston or DFW ever passing LA but I could see one or both of them surpassing Chicago within 30 years.

The only thing likely to slow growth (other than a major recession or depression) of the two biggest Texas metros is probably related to climate. DFW is 100% dependent on a huge reservoir system that is subject to drought. A truly major drought (one lasting for several years) could put a real damper on continued growth. Houston has it's own problems both with occasional drought and also with flooding. Rainfall in Texas tends to be "feast or famine". Houston is most vulnerable to the former and DFW to the latter.
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 7:03 PM
SLO's Avatar
SLO SLO is offline
REAL Kiwi!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California
Posts: 9,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
The only thing likely to slow growth (other than a major recession or depression) of the two biggest Texas metros is probably related to climate. DFW is 100% dependent on a huge reservoir system that is subject to drought. A truly major drought (one lasting for several years) could put a real damper on continued growth. Houston has it's own problems both with occasional drought and also with flooding. Rainfall in Texas tends to be "feast or famine". Houston is most vulnerable to the former and DFW to the latter.
I find that odd, only because they get so much more rain there than California, it may be they need even more storage capacity. Even in the famine side of the rainfall totals its still more than Ca gets in high years.
I'd love to see a national water distribution system.
__________________
“Some people, did something”
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:01 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.