HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 2:33 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Super random question: If I see any more updates on Autoroute 85 (Claude Béchard)/Route 185, should I post them in the thread in the main forum, the Quebec highway thread (Ouais, il y en a un. ), or here?

I just realized one thing:
Highway 104 between Sutherlands River and James River (Antigonish), 38 km, to be done in 3 years;
Route 185 from Rivière Verte to Saint-Louis-du-Ha!-Ha!, 38 km, to be done in 5 years.
Such is the efficiency of P3 huh?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 2:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The A85 is our lifeline to the RoC, any updates regarding this highway are certainly appropriate in the Atlantic Canada section.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 3:06 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The A85 is our lifeline to the RoC, any updates regarding this highway are certainly appropriate in the Atlantic Canada section.
I was thinking along the same line.
I’ve posted in the main forum before; I have got a few replies, but not much.
I’ve posted in the Quebec forum; I have got no reply (except for the one time when I was asking if it’s safe to go on 185 in the middle of February). Heh, ils s’en foutent complètement.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
Thank you. I think the confusion stems from the fact that when the Higgs government announced they would revive twinning 11 they said no new bridges would be built. Now we find out a bridge is being built. This does make sense to me as now the road will revert back to two lanes for only one bridge and not two, which will be much better for traffic flow.
The thing is the Shediac River Bridge was already in progress and a fait accompli somewhat (studies, plans etc...) and already paid more or less and is a short one not in the same realm as the very long Cocagne River Bridge. When Higgs said no new bridges he meant Cocagne and the Little Bouctouche River Bridge which would be $$$$$$$$$. Little Bouctouche River Bridge is anything but little...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 10:12 PM

When Higgs said no new bridges he meant Cocagne and the Little Bouctouche River Bridge which would be $$$$$$$$$. Little Bouctouche River Bridge is anything but little...[/QUOTE]

I do not think the Little Bouctouche was in the original plan when the Feds signed the original (now cancelled) contract. I believe the Liberals may have been considering that project after the original 4 year cost sharing agreement expired.

Last edited by PEI highway guy; Feb 7, 2020 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 11:07 PM

In any event, the small Shediac River Bridge twinning is underway. Any other bridge is not. End of story for now.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 3:18 AM

Nova Scotia's 5-Year Highway Plan for 2020-21 has been released.

The only project that appeared new to my eyes was a roundabout at Highway 105 / Route 252 in Whycocomaugh. Other than that there are some photos of recent construction work in the province.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 11:38 PM

I heard a good one today, from a credible source. I was told that the railway crossing over the TCH by Caledonia park is to be tunneled, well not tunneled under or anything but, similiar to what is in Dieppe (culvert like) where the rail line goes under Dieppe blvd towards MasterPackaging.

Has anyone else heard of this? this would be a major project. I mean it should've been done when Elmwood overpass was constructed and went over the rail line before dropping back down. The individual had mentioned that there are 4 railroad crossings over major highways and 3 are here in the Moncton / Dieppe area. Choosing that one would make more sense as we do cross it a minimum of 6 times per week...doesn't sound like much but, it only takes 1 major accident which could cost lives, moreso with the eastbound lanes.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 4:05 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Very interesting.

If they put a culvert under the highway to accommodate the rail line, would they also have to elevate the roadway any? How much of an issue would the grade differential be for the locomotives if they had to deal with a tunnel under the TCH???

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 12:56 PM

Interesting. Eyeballing it on Google Maps, it seems doable. I suspect they'll raise the highway similar to how Dieppe Blvd was raised by the looks of it.

Traffic could be diverted to one lane while the other is raised and the culvert is built, then it can be switched for the other side. The rail line itself wouldn't be touched, or minimally touched.

The only real wrinkle is that the on/off ramps to Elmwood would need to be raised a little as well to make sure the bump isn't too extreme; but otherwise it doesn't seem too difficult.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 12:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I wonder who would pay - DTI or CNR???

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 10:27 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quebec has suspended all the construction work on new infrastructures, which means that A85 will take a lot longer to finish.....
What about N.S.-104 and other highways in Atlantic Canada?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Quebec has suspended all the construction work on new infrastructures, which means that A85 will take a lot longer to finish.....
What about N.S.-104 and other highways in Atlantic Canada?
Crews are clearing out the woods to make room for the twinning of Route 11 near Shediac Bridge - Grande Digue area. Not sure how much will get done this year but it was heartening to see at least some work going on yesterday and today.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 12:21 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Very nice. Last night I had a dream where I was checking google satellite views. In the dream, I scrolled to Barney’s River Station and saw that the views have been updated to reflect work on N.S.-104 twinning. I was so excited.

Then I realized it was just a dream.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 2:40 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ning-1.5549226

A century-old stonehouse was discovered near N.S.-103 Exit 6 as twinning work continues.

=====

I also noticed that the overpass of the new interchange of N.S.-104 at Paq'tnkek* is long (or wide?) enough to accommodate another set of lanes in the future. Is it a sign that N.S. does intend to twin 104 up to at least Port Hawkesbury, or am I simply reading too much into it?

* Here's the google map view: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Paq...!4d-61.7384668 .

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ning-1.5549226

A century-old stonehouse was discovered near N.S.-103 Exit 6 as twinning work continues.

=====

I also noticed that the overpass of the new interchange of N.S.-104 at Paq'tnkek* is long (or wide?) enough to accommodate another set of lanes in the future. Is it a sign that N.S. does intend to twin 104 up to at least Port Hawkesbury, or am I simply reading too much into it?

* Here's the google map view: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Paq...!4d-61.7384668 .
I think you’ll likely see them twin at least up to Grand Tracadie.
The next project will likely be a new 4 lane highway from the end of the twinned highway in South River Station up to Heatherton, with a second project where the existing highway is twinned you to Grand Tracadie.

The Port Hawkbury bypass could be built after that. There could be some trouble connecting the bypass with the causeway and in bypassing Aulds Cove.

A bypass of St. Peter’s is going to be needed at some point too.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 2:16 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I think you’ll likely see them twin at least up to Grand Tracadie.
The next project will likely be a new 4 lane highway from the end of the twinned highway in South River Station up to Heatherton, with a second project where the existing highway is twinned you to Grand Tracadie.

The Port Hawkbury bypass could be built after that. There could be some trouble connecting the bypass with the causeway and in bypassing Aulds Cove.

A bypass of St. Peter’s is going to be needed at some point too.
On that note, https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...175670&page=57 #1132.
Any thoughts on the drawing?

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 2:37 PM

I like the sketch you made up, I hope someday I might see something like this happen.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 2:48 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummersideIslander07 View Post
I like the sketch you made up, I hope someday I might see something like this happen.
Thank you thank you.

Yea, someday~

I think it makes sense to take N.S.-104 all the way to Sydney, though, because that will shorten the drive between there and Port Hastings by a huge chunk.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 5:21 PM

Yeah if the 104 went all the way to Sydney, The highway would feel complete in a way. But I can't see it happening soon unfortunately..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces