HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
Don't know specifically about Walmart, but Loblaws couldn't maintain their margins when open 24 hours in Winnipeg. They could during the holiday season but not year round. The increase in costs did not correspond with an increase in revenue, essentially the market for "after-hours" grocery shopping was not very big in Winnipeg.
It's not that common anywhere in Canada. I mean, yeah the biggest cities do have some 24 hour supermarkets, but it's a far cry from the US where even small cities have a lot of 24 hour retail options by comparison.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 7:14 PM

Winnipeg didn't work because not enough people went. Not because of rampant lawlessness. Which doesn't exist anywhere in Canada. You want lawlessness move to Mexico where the government is corrupt and releases criminals due to gang pressure and violence.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's not that common anywhere in Canada. I mean, yeah the biggest cities do have some 24 hour supermarkets, but it's a far cry from the US where even small cities have a lot of 24 hour retail options by comparison.
Sobers has 24 hour stores in the following cities:
- Calgary
- Ancaster
- Waterloo
- Toronto
- Niagara Falls
- Yarmouth
- Bridgewater
- Halifax
- Dartmouth
- Lower Sackville
- St. John's

It should be noted these provinces do not have the foolishness of grocery stores opening from 9am to 6pm on Sundays and stat holidays.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 11:32 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Sobers has 24 hour stores in the following cities:
- Calgary
- Ancaster
- Waterloo
- Toronto
- Niagara Falls
- Yarmouth
- Bridgewater
- Halifax
- Dartmouth
- Lower Sackville
- St. John's

It should be noted these provinces do not have the foolishness of grocery stores opening from 9am to 6pm on Sundays and stat holidays.
The government is now working on to abolish that policy.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 4:14 PM

I use the PC Express app/pickup. Produce is always high quality. Never spend more than 10 minutes for arrival to driving away. I pay the annual subscription so it the pickup cost is $2/week(weekly pickup average) There are bonus points for pick up which almost cover the fee too. There can be issues but the time saving is till worth it. Now today it took a bit longer but nothing compare to what is going on inside the stores.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 6:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Winnipeg didn't work because not enough people went. Not because of rampant lawlessness. Which doesn't exist anywhere in Canada. You want lawlessness move to Mexico where the government is corrupt and releases criminals due to gang pressure and violence.
With that argument why did 7-11 close stores in certain parts of Winnipeg!?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 10:02 PM

Looks like some of the Winnipeg shopping malls are reducing their weekday hours due to the Corona virus outbreak.

Polo Park , Kildonan Place and Grant Park have announced changes on their website pages or Facebook pages.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Looks like some of the Winnipeg shopping malls are reducing their weekday hours due to the Corona virus outbreak.

Polo Park , Kildonan Place and Grant Park have announced changes on their website pages or Facebook pages.
Happening across Canada.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 1:52 PM

I wonder why they're reducing instead of just closing altogether? I can't imagine that closing the mall two hours early will make much of a difference.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 6:09 PM

Quote:
I wonder why they're reducing instead of just closing altogether? I can't imagine that closing the mall two hours early will make much of a difference.
Cutting four hours per day justifies cutting all the part-time staff. They'll go down to just full-timers and then as things progress close down further.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 8:07 PM

We need a universal basic income. Why should a crack-whore with a child get an extra $600 a month.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Isn’t that basically describing Trump and the Republicans, minus the violence part. 😂

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
Cutting four hours per day justifies cutting all the part-time staff. They'll go down to just full-timers and then as things progress close down further.
Other than a manager or two do any mall stores have full time staff anymore?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
With that argument why did 7-11 close stores in certain parts of Winnipeg!?
I don't really care. Wal-Mart stopped 24 hour service because nobody went.

It further proves the point that restrictions on Sunday hours make no difference. You can shop from 9am to 6:00pm already. Only missing ~15 hours out of the week. It's another public hysteria, "Oh won't someone please think of the children" thing. "Damn that Trudeau is taking all my rights!"

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 5:55 PM

North McPhillips car strip is getting a Kia dealership corner of Templeton (used to be a school bus yard or something to that effect).

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 2:39 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

What is that again going in the former PetValu spot Pembina @ Plaza? Save-On or a Sobey's?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
What is that again going in the former PetValu spot Pembina @ Plaza? Save-On or a Sobey's?
Save-On Foods.

I'm surprised that all of the locations they've opened or are opening other than the one at Northgate are on the smaller side of things.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 3:08 AM

There is a 'Bird' construction banner at the former Sears Polo Park location. It addition there are vehicles near the West entrance.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Save-On Foods.

I'm surprised that all of the locations they've opened or are opening other than the one at Northgate are on the smaller side of things.
Following the trend. They do so much delivery, there's no reason to build huge grocery stores anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
There is a 'Bird' construction banner at the former Sears Polo Park location. It addition there are vehicles near the West entrance.
24-7 InTouch on second floor. First floor is going to be either Zara or Simons – a friend in the industry confirmed to me it's a "first-to-market smaller department store" – sounds like Simons to me. Whichever it is I was told that it's only going to be part of the first floor. Likely to see the wall that has the jewelry shop and travel agent to be opened up and more mall proper built.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 11:46 AM

The first floor of the old Sears sounds like the makings of a somewhat underwhelming Simons store if that is the case. The space would be much better suited to something like Zara.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan