HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 8:21 PM

Just putting it out there that in the past United had similar deals but at much higher prices and people apparently benefited heavily from getting in on that deal.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 12:46 AM
ILYR

Passenger number are finally in for 2019. As expected with the removal of 737 MAX from service most major Canadian airports saw a decline in numbers. WAA was essentially flat compared to last year.

2018 4,484,343
2019 4,484,249
-0.002% decline

https://www.waa.ca/uploads/ck/files/...Statistics.pdf

All of the decline occurred after the 737 MAX was taken out of service. The first part of the year saw good increases (7.0% in the first quarter).

Looking closer at the numbers it is interesting to see that all of the loss was on domestic passenger numbers. Transborder and international saw increases.

Domestic -0.9%
Transborder +5.8%
International +4.5%

I would suspect that a lot of the domestic decrease was that Air Canada and West Jet were switching to smaller aircraft in and out of Winnipeg. Interesting that number for transborder were not effected in the same way. Not sure how much aircraft were switched up with Delta and United.

In any case when the 737 MAX comes back into service passenger numbers will likely see a good increase for a number of airports in Canada, including Winnipeg. Note: Boeing is flying a 737 Max plane around the US with a test crew on board to test its software updates to the jet as it prepares for its return to the skies according to https://www.businessinsider.com/boei...updates-2020-2

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
Passenger number are finally in for 2019. As expected with the removal of 737 MAX from service most major Canadian airports saw a decline in numbers. WAA was essentially flat compared to last year.

2018 4,484,343
2019 4,484,249
-0.002% decline

https://www.waa.ca/uploads/ck/files/...Statistics.pdf

All of the decline occurred after the 737 MAX was taken out of service. The first part of the year saw good increases (7.0% in the first quarter).

Looking closer at the numbers it is interesting to see that all of the loss was on domestic passenger numbers. Transborder and international saw increases.

Domestic -0.9%
Transborder +5.8%
International +4.5%

I would suspect that a lot of the domestic decrease was that Air Canada and West Jet were switching to smaller aircraft in and out of Winnipeg. Interesting that number for transborder were not effected in the same way. Not sure how much aircraft were switched up with Delta and United.

In any case when the 737 MAX comes back into service passenger numbers will likely see a good increase for a number of airports in Canada, including Winnipeg. Note: Boeing is flying a 737 Max plane around the US with a test crew on board to test its software updates to the jet as it prepares for its return to the skies according to https://www.businessinsider.com/boei...updates-2020-2
Very interesting thanks for the local perspective!

I am sure airlines are champing at the bit to have the 737 Max back in service (not to mention Boeing). Passengers may be a different matter, but if airlines go full bore into using the 737 Max, I can't see how many would have much choice other than fly on the airplane and hope to God the big brains at Boeing have finally figured out how to fix the problem.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 3:34 PM

Pretty amazing the numbers are that close!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 12:35 AM

I made a brief visit to the airport today and noticed a few things, apologies if any of this is old news:

-the Greyhound bus station has been reduced to rubble

-there are several planes parked on the aprons near the terminal, mostly WestJet from what I could tell

-the Four Points was deflagged and is now a Lakeview Signature IIRC, there was also a banner mentioning an affiliation with Wyndham Hotels

-I saw some fencing near where the Aviation Museum is supposed to go, but I couldn't tell that there was any actual construction activity taking place. I'm not sure whether it was something to do with that, or just routine parking lot maintenance.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
-the Four Points was deflagged and is now a Lakeview Signature IIRC, there was also a banner mentioning an affiliation with Wyndham Hotels
The former Four Points at the airport has re-flagged to Lakeview Signature, Trademark Collection by Wyndham:

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/en-ca/...rringBrand=ALL

There are now six Wyndham properties in the city. The others - Days inn on Berry near the airport, Travelodge on Fermor near St. Anne's, Super 8 on Fermor near Lagimodiere, Howard Johnson on Portage near the Perimeter and the adjacent Super 8.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 6:54 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
I made a brief visit to the airport today and noticed a few things, apologies if any of this is old news:

Aww, darn I wanted to snap a photo for Wikimedia.

This is a good reason now to plan for locating any future inter-city bus depot back downtown where it belongs, such as adjacent to Union Station.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 12:35 PM

I took a look at the WAA departures board on their website just to see what business is like at the airport these days.

Today there are 13 flights departing. 4 of those are regional (MB/NU/NWO) with smaller planes. No flights at all are headed outside of Canada. Toronto and Calgary are the only places left with more than one flight a day.

A CBC article yesterday said that traffic at the airport is down 97% right now.

I'm not sure how far back you'd have to go to see traffic levels this low at the airport, but I would imagine it would have to be wayyy back, like maybe WWII give or take a few years?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 1:36 PM
Closed account

Quote:

Wasn't the Greyhound Station relatively new?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Wasn't the Greyhound Station relatively new?
Yeah, its opened 10 years ago last August. I suppose that with no more bus service there was no reason to keep it around any longer. Given its location, I would imagine that the site will probably be repurposed for parking pretty quickly, at least for the short term.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 4:35 PM

I'm happy to see the Grey Hound terminal torn down so quickly. Good to see that abandoned, dark, purpose-built tunnel torn down at such a major gateway to the city. I'd never say this about anywhere else, but a parking lot is better there for now IMO.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 4:40 PM

^ Not that I am in the habit of looking for them, but I don't recall seeing an intercity bus terminal at an airport anywhere else. It was sort of weird how it was situated there. It was not that bad looking as far as bus stations go but yeah, I can't say that I'll miss it.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 8:35 PM

WAA's latest blogpost says that traffic in the last week of March was down to an average of 265 passengers a day, compared to a normal average of 12,300 a day.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 11:45 AM

Article in the paper today mentions that City Council's property and development committee voted a 2-2 tie over amending the airport plan to allow CF/Shindico's plan for residential development on the Polo Park parking lots. Lukes and Rollins voted for the amendment, Mayes and Allard voted against.

So now it goes to EPC next week without any recommendation.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...569800542.html

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 4:15 PM
There is always a way

^ I thought Allard was more of a progressive pro development guy?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
^ I thought Allard was more of a progressive pro development guy?
Yeah, that was my impression too. I was a bit taken aback to hear that he voted against the proposal.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 7:11 PM

Allard is a Bowman minion and Bowman does not support this development and is politically siding with the WAA.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 1:58 AM

Doubt this will go through, even if approved.

Post COVID-19, I think any commercial / residential project is at best on hold for a couple of years, at worst, completely scrapped.

The economic ramifications will be overwhelming. Governments are already looking at 20-30% austerity measures. There’s no money out there.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 2:18 AM
Source?

Quote:
Yeah, that was my impression too. I was a bit taken aback to hear that he voted against the proposal.
It's not in St.B, that's where his interest begins and ends for the most part.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 2:24 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
Doubt this will go through, even if approved.

Post COVID-19, I think any commercial / residential project is at best on hold for a couple of years, at worst, completely scrapped.

The economic ramifications will be overwhelming. Governments are already looking at 20-30% austerity measures. There’s no money out there.
This is quite a complex issue to talk about. Might be yes, might be no

I wonder if China has resumed life. The reliance on Chinese construction material is prevalent in US, not sure about Canada. If the supply of materials ia stable, costs would be acceptable. But this is only about the side of builders. I have no idea of the markey for renters/buyers in the future

Construction projects yield long term return, so I think short term fluctuations probably wouldn't make too much impact

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan