HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 2:07 PM

Below showing the underground parking level.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Responding to this post from the main Moncton thread:

1) - The configuration of the future office building facing Main Street has certainly changed, but I imagine the footprint shown on the planning document is just a placeholder, and we really have no idea what the building will look like. I would be disappointed if it were less than six storeys.

2) - You are correct that the plans do not show a parking garage entrance under Tannery Place North but the entrance to the underground parking for Tannery Place South is immediately next to the North Building. Maybe this entrance will service underground parking for both buildings.

Underground parking is a big selling feature. It would be difficult to imagine not having similar amenities for both buildings.......
We'll have to wait and see what happens with the plans for the office building. The low vacancy rate is a positive factor though. The market is there for a taller building. I also would be disappointed if they built a 1-2 floor building here.
It will also be interesting to see what they build on the site where they originally intended to have a hotel. Will the construction of the Hyatt and the Hilton Gardens nearby cause the developer to rethink the hotel plans?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 3:32 PM

Quote:

[/url]
Nice large windows!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 5:15 PM

There was an interesting story in yesterday's Times & Transcript about the Junction Urban Village development. What stood out to me was a quote from Vaughn MacLellan stating that the strength of the residential market has the developers reconsidering the mix between residential, commercial and office space in the buildings currently being designed.

For example, the Hilton Home 2 Suites hotel remains "under assessment" and MacLellan said it could be reconfigured to a mix of uses similar to the 55 Queen development.

As well, the northernmost building has changed from the original conceptual drawings which proposed a curved building wrapping around the corner of the intersection. It is now planned to front on Main Street and will still involve "signature" architectural elements and be at least six storeys in height. This building could now include a mix of office, retail and residential use.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 5:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I did not see that article - thanks for the update.

It matters less to me what the buildings actually contain, as much as the architectural style and the massing of the buildings.

I am pleased to hear that they still plan on having the building fronting Main Street be at least six floors. I think that's really important for the overall massing and architectural integrity of this project.

As for the Home 2 Suites, if this doesn't come to pass, it wouldn't break my heart. If instead it became another mixed commercial/residential building along the same lines of FiveFive Queen, that would still be a big win for the city, and arguably more defining for the downtown west end than another mid range hotel project.

I think du Park and Westmount have discovered just what a hot commodity high density downtown residential properties close to the Avenir Centre really can be, especially where there is a grocery store and a pharmacy literally right across the street.

No matter what the final configuration, the Junction Urban Village will be a real gem for the downtown core.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 6:59 PM

Absolutely agree that this development will be a gem for this whole area. Very glad the Main Street building is planned to be "at least" six floors. The strong residential market is helping ensure that the scale of the original plans isn't going to be down sized.

The story was on page A3 yesterday. The Tannery Place north building will have 42 units as opposed to 46 at the south building. It will have a slight dog leg footprint to align with the curve of Vaughan Harvey. They want a variance for a 2 meter setback from the road instead of 6. There will be a shared driveway between the two buildings leading to the underground parking. 33 underground parking spaces and 48 more surface spots facing the rear of the building.

MacLellan said construction will start in the spring if the plans are approved. The advisory committee is set to meet Feb. 26th.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 4:47 PM

Once again there was a Saturday crew working on the Tannery Place building this morning when I drove by. With the building already fully rented, it's no surprise they're pushing to get it finished.

Also the application for variances on the Tannery north building were approved by the Planning Advisory Committee on Wednesday. I noticed on the plans submitted, how close to the Vaughn Harvey sidewalk the building is going to be.

Also it's interesting that the office building originally planned for the corner is now rectangular shaped, and it too is really close to the Main Street sidewalk.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 5:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Also it's interesting that the office building originally planned for the corner is now rectangular shaped, and it too is really close to the Main Street sidewalk.
That rectangular shape on the planning document might just be a "placeholder." I would keep an open mind until we actually see a rendering of the building.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 5:15 PM

Quote:
That rectangular shape on the planning document might just be a "placeholder." I would keep an open mind until we actually see a rendering of the building.
It could be a placeholder. But the Tannery North building is changed from the original rendering. It takes up more of the corner now. Looking at the current plans, it's hard to imagine how the office building could not be rectangular. Honestly, I liked the original design better.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 4:20 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
It could be a placeholder. But the Tannery North building is changed from the original rendering. It takes up more of the corner now. Looking at the current plans, it's hard to imagine how the office building could not be rectangular. Honestly, I liked the original design better.
Here's an example of how the building could have a non rectangular footprint.

This would allow for a continuous facade along Vaughan Harvey Blvd incorporating the two Tannery Place buildings, and the proposed office building on the corner, It would also allow the new building to continue hugging the sidewalk in a similar manner as Tannery Place North will. The net result would be a much more urban feel, and a greater street presence for the entire development.

I'm willing to bet anything the final building will have a footprint something like this, perhaps with a curved facade even more closely conforming to the configuration of the sidewalk.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Here's an example of how the building could have a non rectangular footprint.

This would allow for a continuous facade along Vaughan Harvey Blvd incorporating the two Tannery Place buildings, and the proposed office building on the corner, It would also allow the new building to continue hugging the sidewalk in a similar manner as Tannery Place North will. The net result would be a much more urban feel, and a greater street presence for the entire development.

I'm willing to bet anything the final building will have a footprint something like this, perhaps with a curved facade even more closely conforming to the configuration of the sidewalk.
I like it. I hope the developers are thinking along the same lines. Visually it would look much better than the rectangular shaped building on the drawings. I also hope that they follow through on their plans for it to be 6 floors. Anything less just wouldn't look right beside the Tannery place buildings. Since it's on the corner, even 8 floors would work IMO.

A final thought: The property across Main Street (NW corner) really needs to have a signature building on it when it eventually gets developed. A 2 floor vinyl apartment building would be a real downer.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 2:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
A final thought: The property across Main Street (NW corner) really needs to have a signature building on it when it eventually gets developed. A 2 floor vinyl apartment building would be a real downer.
The city would never allow a two story vinyl clad apartment building on that corner. You can take that one to the bank!!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 5:20 PM

Windows are now being installed.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 3:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Fresh render of the Junction Urban Village from their website:

It would appear that the building slated for the corner of Vaughn Harvey/Main will indeed be rectangular, and will not conform to the curve of the streetline. Also, the building will not be flush with the sidewalk. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

The site plan has also been changed since the last time I checked.

It would appear that the locations for the hotel and the office building have been swapped!! I'm surprised by this. If I could guess a rationale, I suppose it might be because a location on the SW corner of Main/Vaughan Harvey would give the hotel more visibility and a more prominent location. The only way this would work though is if there is a large underground parking structure to service the hotel. I wonder if the branding of the hotel is being changed???

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 7:33 PM

What i'm curious about, not that it matters, is why there are two buildings, Tannery Place North and South, and not one long building.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
What i'm curious about, not that it matters, is why there are two buildings, Tannery Place North and South, and not one long building.
Maybe they just wanted to break up the wall a bit, to keep all the pieces of the project proportional, instead of having a long wall face.

Or to make it easier to build in phases and to help with the overall financing of the project.

Appearance wise, I think I like the multiple buildings.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Fresh render of the Junction Urban Village from their website:

It would appear that the building slated for the corner of Vaughn Harvey/Main will indeed be rectangular, and will not conform to the curve of the streetline. Also, the building will not be flush with the sidewalk. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

The site plan has also been changed since the last time I checked.

That's unfortunate, I was looking for a unique 'wrap around' of that corner...definitely a missed opportunity if they go with this change.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 1:51 PM

The rectangular design is very disappointing and the side facing Vaughan Harvey has a fairly large blank wall. That should not be allowed for such a prominent corner.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 1:54 PM

By the way, the property next door on West Main Street that houses the Vape shop is currently on the market for over $1M! Wow. Only has .18 acres. Don't think that will sell anytime soon even if they get clearance to build 10 stories there.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 1:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonDowntown View Post
By the way, the property next door on West Main Street that houses the Vape shop is currently on the market for over $1M! Wow. Only has .18 acres. Don't think that will sell anytime soon even if they get clearance to build 10 stories there.
Sounds a little greedy for Moncton. Might work in Vancouver.........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces