HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 8:03 AM

Norfolk, Va

Most of these pictures were taken with my iphone from the last year or so and will mostly consist of downtown. In 2016-17 downtown saw an incredible amount of development. In 2018 a slowdown began and now all we have to look forward to are some redevelopments(which are included here). I hope to add some more pictures of the neighborhoods surrounding downtown in the weeks to come. Thanks for looking!

Looking towards Virginia Beach, with the Elizabeth river in view. Norfolk Southern will sadly be leaving soon enough.

Portsmouth across the river. There is a ferry that travels between Norfolk and Portsmouth. In the summer it gets a lot of use but during the winter it is mainly used by commuters(the two cities are connected by two tunnels that are tolled).

Norfolk Southern with a Confederate monument in front of the building(remember when these were all the rage?)

Fort Norfolk. Bad picture but really, there isn't much to show.

Old church that still has a cannonball stuck in the side of it from the revolutionary war.

Downtown from PETA near Fort Norfolk. Not much to say really, a pretty small downtown.

Fort Norfolk.

Norfolk's World Trade Center is the shorter building in the picture. The girlfriend works there.

Norfolk's Pagoda, donated by the taiwanese government in the 80's. Really nice and relaxing spot, this was taken on a day when I can't say that was the case.

Looking towards downtown from the Freemason neighborhood.

Next few are new(er) developments going on...

Apartments that opened up in early 2018.

These apartments opened up about the same time. It included zero parking.

Couple new condos being built through a redevelopment. Small development to be sure, but for a city the size of Norfolk, and in particular the small size of its downtown, any development at all is appreciated.

This building just got gutted. Some apartments and ground retail. Should be completed in a few months.

This is being redeveloped into a 80 key hotel. This one excites me a lot.

This building had like a 9 inch lean. The developer jacked one side up and now it will be opening up as apartments sometime this spring.

Want a 5 dollar donut? Selden Market is the spot! Old arcade building that was redeveloped and opened about a year ago. As far as I can tell its not doing too bad, which is saying a lot because its mainly retail and is across from the mall.

This building was completed in January of 18'. It was the old BofA building built in the 1960s. It was turned into 275 apartments.

Do you guys have any buildings like this in your city? It seems to have workers there every day working yet after a year and a half I see almost zero progress. An architecture company bought the building and is renovating it to become their office.

View from my old apartments bathroom. Church was built in the 1890s. The view is looking from downtown towards the Freemason neighborhood.

View from my neighborhood dog park. This is the only one offically downtown, but there is the PETA one right next to downtown, which is HUGE.

The opening of the Hilton in 2017 was a big deal for downtown Norfolk. It included three restaurants/bars, one of which has a rooftop bar, something we never had down here.

Portsmouth. Not the best skyline but the old part of town is really nice. You can find a really good historic home there for relatively nothing.

This place houses two museums, a tourist trap of attractions, and the battleship Wisconsin.

Wisconsin

Wisconsin

Mermaids are all over town.

Looking towards the mall. Most malls helped kill downtowns. Ours helped revitalize downtown.

This building, located on the border of downtown and Freemason, started it all. It was a hospital and is now apartments. This was the first large renovation to take place downtown.

Not the best looking building. But the apartments wrap around the parking garage and its located right on a light rail stop.

Freemason.

Looking towards Freemason.

Freemason is a really small neighborhood but it packs a lot in. I love the cobblestone roads but can't help but to think about how much better it would look if the roads were more narrow.

"Love locks" or whatever...the city had nothing better to do, so all of these locks are now in the garbage.

Looking towards the Ghent neighborhood.

Church in Ghent.

View over Ghent.

Ghent.

[/url]
This was built in like 2004. Who would have thought that?!

Granby St, basically our Main St.

Wells Fargo building. Nice building, too bad that half of it is a parking garage though.

Freemason.

View from the library. You can see the main train station, the Douglas MacArthur memorial and museum(old city hall) and the mall.

The library downtown.

My dog.

Thanks again for checking this out!

Last edited by jtown,man; Jan 30, 2019 at 9:31 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:03 PM
BANNED

Great tour! Looks like some nice infill has taken place and a pleasant downtown area.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:07 PM
BANNED

Wow! What a beautiful little city.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 4:09 PM

Looking good. I've always like Norfolk.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 4:41 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

cool sky here.

it all looks pretty great to me.

take it from an old clevelander redevelopments are great and where its at. redevelop every thing you can. i dont consider that a slowdown one bit as long as things are happening. it pays off in the long run maybe even more than new build.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
cool sky here.

it all looks pretty great to me.

take it from an old clevelander redevelopments are great and where its at. redevelop every thing you can. i dont consider that a slowdown one bit as long as things are happening. it pays off in the long run maybe even more than new build.
Oh, absolutely! The thing is, the amount of redevelopment has slowed down, honestly because most of the historic buildings downtown have been redeveloped in the last 7 years(which is awesome). Its inevitable, but it sucks its slowing down. Our downtown also has very little room for growth, although there are very ambitious plans for the areas surrounding downtown.

In any case, thanks for the nice comments guys!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 7:00 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

nice

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 10:37 PM

Great tour! I was unaware Norfolk Southern was relocating its headquarters. What does the future look like for the old HQ in Norfolk?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Great tour! I was unaware Norfolk Southern was relocating its headquarters. What does the future look like for the old HQ in Norfolk?
Thank you!

Yeah, its moving to Atlanta. I don't know to tell you the truth. The building next to it was a bank and then was converted to apartments, so maybe that? I don't know if the office market is too hot down here.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 12:03 AM

my ancestors are from the tidewater, i've always wanted to incorporate the south hampton roads into such a trip to follow some graves and things. i've camped on assateague and gone into DC, now i need to do chincoteague and then go into town at norfolk, et al.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 12:32 AM
Posh

Looks great!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
my ancestors are from the tidewater, i've always wanted to incorporate the south hampton roads into such a trip to follow some graves and things. i've camped on assateague and gone into DC, now i need to do chincoteague and then go into town at norfolk, et al.
Thats awesome man, I have an aunt who is big on our ancestors and does all kinds of work exploring and recording our past, its a lot of work but so rewarding.

Yeah, too bad we are like one of the biggest cul de sacs in the country lol

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 1:58 AM
Beer Stampede

I've been to Norfolk a few times. It's a nice city. You're right though. The downtown is small with limited opportunities to grow, but looks decent, nonetheless!!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Thats awesome man, I have an aunt who is big on our ancestors and does all kinds of work exploring and recording our past, its a lot of work but so rewarding.

Yeah, too bad we are like one of the biggest cul de sacs in the country lol
haha it’s literally the end of the street for millions of americans. i understand fairfax courthouse (va) records were burned in 1812-14 along with DC, not sure how far south that went norfolk was probably spared but theres an obvious gap between american and british colonial records centered on VA.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:39 AM
Future God

Norfolk is a very nice city, especially when compared and contrasted with it's neighbor, Virginia Beach, which barely even qualifies as a city, in my book.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Norfolk is a very nice city, especially when compared and contrasted with it's neighbor, Virginia Beach, which barely even qualifies as a city, in my book.
I agree. I lived on the beach for a year and it was nice for what it was, I walked around and enjoyed the "urban-lite" feel of the area, but at the end of the day it was simply a tourist beach spot. They also have the Town Center, which they are pushing as their new 'downtown' and its nice for what it is, but its severely limited by its location, transport options, and by its newness. Otherwise, yes, VB is endless suburbs.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 5:53 AM

Nice pictures! I did a photothread of Portsmouth a couple years ago, but never made it to Norfolk.

It looks like that's our tall ship from Delaware, the Kalmar Nyckel!

Where is the Freemason neighborhood?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures! I did a photothread of Portsmouth a couple years ago, but never made it to Norfolk.

It looks like that's our tall ship from Delaware, the Kalmar Nyckel!

Where is the Freemason neighborhood?
Good eye man. Yeah I remember your Portsmouth thread, you could bump it up and it would still be fresh since I don't think much has changed there in many years.

The neighborhood is left/west of downtown(the map includes just the historic district but it's everything to the left of Boush St and south of Brambleton):

Source: https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/cou...own.en-gb.html

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post

This place houses two museums, a tourist trap of attractions, and the battleship Wisconsin.
Do you mean the museums are a tourist trap, or the other attractions are?

Thank you for the tour, it makes me want to visit there for the first time.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 9:58 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Great tour!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos