HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 2:49 AM

Chattanooga - Downtown

Chattanooga is the 140th largest city in the United States by population (179,000) and is the largest city of the Chattanooga, TN-GA Metropolitan Statistical Area (528,000) in Tennessee and Georgia.

Downtown is a small area, most of which is located on a grid that is about 7 blocks wide and 13 blocks long. It is situated on a bend in the Tennessee River, with the most historic concentration of buildings located furthest from the river while a redeveloped area of newer structures is on the waterfront. This thread will begin with the historic buildings and streetscapes, and end at the waterfront's mostly modern attractions.

Modern buildings near the waterfront:

The Hunter Museum of American Art:
This museum complex of 3 wildly different buildings is perched on a bluff above the river.

Walnut Street Bridge:

Modern waterfront:

Tennessee Aquarium's Ocean Journey building:

Tennessee Aquarium's River Journey building:

All photos taken by geomorph in 2018.

Last edited by geomorph; Feb 6, 2019 at 3:22 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 3:13 AM
BANNED

VERY, VERY NICE!!!!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:17 AM
Future God

Wonderful set... I love me some Chatty. I've had family in the city my whole life so it's like a second home to me. What day were you out and about? Everytime I'm downtown it's pretty lively, but there wasn't a soul to be seen in your photos! Perhaps it was a cold (by southern standards) day that day?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:46 PM

Chattanooga is a beautiful small city. My parents live a little over an hour to the East.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 6:00 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I'd really like to go back to Chattanooga...
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 10:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Nice photos. Great bones.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 11:32 PM

Almost as nice as Nashville! (Just kidding :p)

Your pics are a bit cherry-picked though. (Still a very nice downtown.)

I got stranded in Chattanooga many years ago and spent a day there while my truck was getting fixed. I have good memories of those good old days.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:26 AM

Chattanooga seems to have a lot of high quality buildings. I'm also curious about how active downtown is. The only people in these photos were inside museums. It seems like a nice, clean and well kept downtown to be so devoid of people.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 1:37 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Chattanooga seems to have a lot of high quality buildings. I'm also curious about how active downtown is. The only people in these photos were inside museums. It seems like a nice, clean and well kept downtown to be so devoid of people.
I can only speak from the one time I was there, but downtown was packed when I visited. It also appeared that what few people weren't hanging out downtown were hanging out on the river, or in the big fountain across the river from downtown. Chattanooga uses its river better than any other place I've ever seen -- there were people kayaking, swimming, and climbing up the bluff directly beneath the art museum and leaping into the water. There was a stream of people crossing the Chestnut Street pedestrian bridge, and a swarming mass of kids playing in the big fountain in the park across from downtown that that bridge leads to. The aquarium was crowded too, inside and out.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
I can only speak from the one time I was there, but downtown was packed when I visited. It also appeared that what few people weren't hanging out downtown were hanging out on the river, or in the big fountain across the river from downtown. Chattanooga uses its river better than any other place I've ever seen -- there were people kayaking, swimming, and climbing up the bluff directly beneath the art museum and leaping into the water. There was a stream of people crossing the Chestnut Street pedestrian bridge, and a swarming mass of kids playing in the big fountain in the park across from downtown that that bridge leads to. The aquarium was crowded too, inside and out.
Hmm, I wonder if these were taken on a chilly day as mentioned earlier or a Sunday or something then.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 6:45 AM
Red October standing by

love it, thanks for posting. i need to put up my pics from last summer.

Quote:
every time i've been the temperature is kind of intense, like more humidity than you'd expect.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 1:44 AM

Nice! I haven't been to Chattanooga since 2007. I got to see Downtown, minus the riverside area.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 3:06 AM
BANNED

Solid downtown.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 3:50 AM

Those gorgeous historic gems really make downtown-I was there once back in Feb 2005 and loved Chattanooga!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 10:14 AM

Thanks so, so, so much for the tour!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 4:58 PM

I go to Chattanooga often and can assure you its downtown is quite lively and usually crowded with people. It's in a valley which has limited sprawl as you see in other cities. So people never stopped going downtown for entertainment. And there was never an exodus of large businesses to the burbs.

Those photos are strangely absent people, but I often take photos when people I don't know are not in the shot. I wait until they're out of view.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Wonderful set... I love me some Chatty. I've had family in the city my whole life so it's like a second home to me. What day were you out and about? Everytime I'm downtown it's pretty lively, but there wasn't a soul to be seen in your photos! Perhaps it was a cold (by southern standards) day that day?
I was there on Friday October 5 for the waterfront shots and Saturday October 6 for the main downtown shots, and both days were as pleasant as can be. It was not very busy, although there was a minor music festival on a lawn near the waterfront on Friday late afternoon/evening that was well-attended. One of the waterfront shots shows some white tents for it in the distance, having been set up. If I was an event-type photographer and had included some photos of that, it would have livened up the thread.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 2:19 AM

Quote:
I did not include shots on the big pedestrian bridge but the Friday I was there there was a major amount of tents set up for some sort of festival that I assume took place the next day, when I was wandering around the inland side of downtown.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 3:36 AM
Beer Stampede

Super cool!! Thanks for sharing!!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 12:38 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Just like I remembered it. Surprisingly I’ve been to all the places you took pictures of here. Chattanooga will always have a special place in my memory.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos