HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 10:20 PM

I agree that if this was placed in university city, it would look enourmous, and not make the other towers in cc look smaller. I think with it being so close to the other tall towers, it makes them look short, but they also make this tower look shorter as well.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 7:32 AM

Now that the spire has been added it has become markedly more attractive. Walking nearby the base, you really get the feeling that this is a massive structure, a titan of sorts.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R5Ryder View Post
it's not quite as bad now that the elevator is being disassembled, as that added a noticeable amount of width to it.

I too hate the north and south views, but I'll deal with it if it means we get supertalls and get a skyline that resembles the true economy of the city. I totally understand that a skyline isn't a big dick contest, but for better or worse, some people's impression of a city is based on a quick look at the skyline. I'm happy that Philly's is growing, regardless of how. Also, it's so good when viewing from 1) the west, and 2) the south west (when entering the schuylkill from Vare ave) that I can live with hating the view from south.
I love the views from the South and North of the skyline with the view from South Philly being the favorite because you see the very dense midrise cluster from parts of center city like rittenhouse, and you get to the see a panoramic view of the skyline in it's entirety which it spans almost 4 miles horizontally from old city to all the way to western edge of university city. This building fills a gap and looks great from the South. In fact, could someone please post a pic of panoramic shot from the stadiums please? I haven't seen a pic of that view yet ever since the spire has been topped off and in the building's current state.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephi215 View Post
I love the views from the South and North of the skyline with the view from South Philly being the favorite because you see the very dense midrise cluster from parts of center city like rittenhouse, and you get to the see a panoramic view of the skyline in it's entirety which it spans almost 4 miles horizontally from old city to all the way to western edge of university city. This building fills a gap and looks great from the South. In fact, could someone please post a pic of panoramic shot from the stadiums please? I haven't seen a pic of that view yet ever since the spire has been topped off and in the building's current state.
I hear you, I just think that some air between the buildings makes each stand out more. My personal line of sight (roughly the Acme on Passyunk) is the worst, because the four big ones are basically all in line with another, making center city look like there's the most massive skyscraper ever in the middle of nothing.

I also hate hate hate that giant "window" on the south side of CC1.

As other posters have said, you need to be up close to this building to really appreciate its mass. The angled braces look cool in these photos, but when you're up close and you see just how big they really are, it's a little mind blowing.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
This Supertall is fantastic and will stand the test of time compared to many others(Wilshire, Salesforce.) Too fat for the skyline? Maybe. Gorgeous building? Definitely.
Agreed. I walk past this building daily and the intricacies of its design - both at ground level and in the sky - are amazing. Each day I observe something new, each angle I see it from, I see something different. Simple patterns, repeated complexly - definitely a building to check out up close and not worry too much about it's skyline presence.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Agreed. I walk past this building daily and the intricacies of its design - both at ground level and in the sky - are amazing. Each day I observe something new, each angle I see it from, I see something different. Simple patterns, repeated complexly - definitely a building to check out up close and not worry too much about it's skyline presence.
very well said. I do a lap around it every time I'm in town & it's almost hard to comprehend how cool it really is in these photos here. Unlike many others I love all 4 sides close up and from a distance, though I can't deny the best of all from a little distance is the view from the R3 coming in from the west, that's where I really appreciate its height. For street level gawking I like the west face as well but I think my favorite spot to view it is from the south east, the corner of 17th & JFK just outside the door of the Corner Bakery which is where I most appreciate the detail, its sheer mass, height... the whole shoot'n match

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 8:21 PM
Philly Rising Up!

This is a fantastic bldg and glad to have it in our backyard. I imagine the inside will be awesome too. Without Comcast, we may have not seen a supertall in Philly for another decade or more. As a reality check, nothing built the last 5-10 years even comes close to supertall heights.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 9:18 PM

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 9:20 PM

DSC_9755 by Christian Gross, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 9:26 PM

The View by Patrick Johnson, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 9:28 PM

IMG_4308 by Alexandre Kamm, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 9:31 PM

IMG_4423 by Alexandre Kamm, on Flickr

IMG_4546 by Alexandre Kamm, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Like this building or not, and I'm on the positive side of the discussion, I think most people would acknowledge that this very good example of a well designed building. Care and thought seems to have been given to all of its aspects. Sure, there are some "what if" questions, and I'm interested in what the lighting will do to the night time version that we'll see, but so far I'm excited to have another real world class building in the City. For all the customer service problems Comcast seems to have and a much less then stellar reputation, I'm glad to have their headquarters in CC, and appreciate that they seem to care about the impact their buildings have on the City.

Now, if they would just go ahead and move those stupid air handlers (or whatever) that are parked on the first set back-------------

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 1:42 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

The photo at post #7543 is the best shot of the updated skyline I've seen.

Am I right in that Schuylkill Yards and the 30th Street Station plan will provide the infill between the main tower cluster and FMC/Cira complex?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post

Am I right in that Schuylkill Yards and the 30th Street Station plan will provide the infill between the main tower cluster and FMC/Cira complex?
Not really. The Schuylkill Yards development would be west of 30th street station. It would extend the skyline further west but it wouldn’t provide “infill” between Centery City towers and the FMC/Cira complex. I don’t think the skyline will ever really fill in unless there was some type of development that occurred on the surface lot next to the 2400 Chestnut apartments. Imagine a 700+ footer there. It’ll never happen though unless it was purely residential which also probably wouldn’t happen. A tall skinny residential building similar to 432 Park Avenue in NYC would be cool. Throw a new park next to it on all the extra land with access to the trail and boom.

Last edited by Elementguy13; Dec 28, 2017 at 12:45 PM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 1:41 PM

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 3:21 PM

[QUOTE=TallCoolOne;8030337]Mandeville Place would've done that^.

Yes agreed . Now add 2828 and 2929 Race to the picture and you would have some pretty damn nice
additions to tie CC to UC ..... or are they both too far west .... ??

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post

IMG_4308 by Alexandre Kamm, on Flickr
Name of the building (looks red) to the left with all the setbacks?

This is the best looking building at nite...

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Name of the building (looks red) to the left with all the setbacks?

This is the best looking building at nite...
That is Three Logan Square. One of my favorite skyscapers in the city, night or day. Red granite! We certainly need more like it to complement the glass. We need other materials and colors high in the sky.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 10:58 PM

what are those bright green panels on the lantern pieces?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture