HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 12:23 AM
James

They could easily make it more slender. Towards the NorthEast Corner. Shave off some southern apartments, (wishful thinking) put those apartments on top and have more sun hit it.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 12:35 AM

284 feet?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 12:41 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTrance View Post
I hope so. It seems like a lot of developments in SA are afraid to go slender, which would make them taller. I’m sure there are lots of engineering changes that can make that difficult, but it would make some projects look better if possible.
Actually, San Antonio has a fair amount of slender hotels. Obviously, the older buildings are pretty bulky, but many of the newer hotels are pretty slender. The new Canopy hotel is really slim.

Office towers, though, like to be fatter. Companies prefer having as many employees on one floor as possible so they're grouped together. It's more difficult do that with smaller floorplates.

Anyway, on the height of this tower, 284 feet would still make it the tallest all residential building in San Antonio. The Grand Hyatt has higher residential spaces, and the Thompson Hotel & Residences tower will have some higher up, but not by much.

I think the design is ok. Yeah, it's not the most ritzy building, but really few residential buildings are. This building looks to me to resemble 90 percent of residential buildings even today. And it already is pretty slender. Residential buildings actually prefer to be more slender. It means fewer neighbors per floor which cuts down on neighbor noise. It just means they have to be taller, which makes them more expensive and means more elevators to carry the traffic throughout the building.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
After seeing the innovative octagonal apartments, this design is a bit... less, though I don't absolutely hate it. The most interesting part of the project is, strangely enough, the garage.

It IS a missed opportunity, however. A few tweaks to reduce the "great wall" affect (breaking up the massing or revising the balconies), may be the solution that city staff is looking to see to make it appear more "slender".
Yes, because asking a developer to make a building slender while still keeping the same height and the same number of units (e.g., hotel rooms) was a great idea and worked perfectly well with the Grand Hyatt on the River - the Grand Wall of San Antonio. If they approved that and much of Hemisfair, then this should go. Pictures of this building have been up and around for nearly 3 years, they knew what was coming. Also, I am confused as to why they decided to shorten it. Maybe they thought it would get approval faster? Which is sad thinking and why downtown is outdated and developments of this kind are one in 5-10 years.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:08 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Also, I am confused as to why they decided to shorten it. Maybe they thought it would get approval faster? Which is sad thinking and why downtown is outdated and developments of this kind are one in 5-10 years.
I don't think they shortened it. I attribute the difference in height to someone previously reading the building elevations incorrectly.

Don't worry, guys. When Austin's residential "boom" started downtown, it didn't come with tall ritzy buildings. Many of the first buildings aren't even 200 feet tall, and several of those are very forgettable. Many others were also cancelled, now thankfully, in hindsight.

I see much more of San Antonio's downtown even currently as being more desirable for residential development than certain parts of Austin's downtown. The eastern half of our downtown is plagued by the noise from I-35, party goers on 6th Street and that noise, and a large homeless population thanks to the downtown homeless shelter. I'm sure there are some less desirable areas of downtown San Antonio, but from what I've seen of it, I don't think there's any reason why people wouldn't want to live there.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Yes, because asking a developer to make a building slender while still keeping the same height and the same number of units (e.g., hotel rooms) was a great idea and worked perfectly well with the Grand Hyatt on the River - the Grand Wall of San Antonio. If they approved that and much of Hemisfair, then this should go. Pictures of this building have been up and around for nearly 3 years, they knew what was coming. Also, I am confused as to why they decided to shorten it. Maybe they thought it would get approval faster? Which is sad thinking and why downtown is outdated and developments of this kind are one in 5-10 years.
I agree with you, the Grand Hyatt is disgusting. I disagree with you that the existence of the Grand Hyatt should justify further bad design.

And it's shorter because they decided to separate the parking garage.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:34 AM
Meh

It's unlikely that the parking levels would have added much height. Most parking levels only add 9 to 10 feet floor-to-floor. That probably would have added 70 to 80 feet, but we've been hearing for a long while now that it's just 24 floors. Honest, I'd forgotten that this was the old JMJ Tower development. I thought they were two separate projects.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:17 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Anyway, on the height of this tower, 284 feet would still make it the tallest all residential building in San Antonio.
Isn't the Park Lane Towers building taller? Pretty sure it's all residential.

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/11...antonio-tx-usa

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 10:20 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Isn't the Park Lane Towers building taller? Pretty sure it's all residential.

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/11...antonio-tx-usa
There's no way the Towers on Park Lane is 368 feet tall. I'm not sure where that height came from. I've only ever been able to measure it at 278 feet, which seems closer to its true height. It's kind of hard to tell since it's all by itself and kind of on a hill, but I don't think it's that tall.

I really wish there was a way that we could view the building elevations for San Antonio's older buildings. Hopefully, they'll have all that stuff online eventually.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:34 PM
JACKinBeantown

And while we're at it, the Marriott is nowhere near 546 to the spire. I think the listed roof height of 441 is the actual spire height, and the roof is maybe 386.

And the old Frost building isn't 300 feet. Maybe 280.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...TX_Skyline.jpg

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:53 PM
James

We just need to get everyone outside, get your tape measures, and start measuring.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:04 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
We just need to get everyone outside, get your tape measures, and start measuring.

Triple like button.

On Google Earth, the elevation of the roof is at 1033 ft above sea level, and the front door is at 764 ft above sea level. So 270 feet-ish? I wonder where that other number comes from?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
And while we're at it, the Marriott is nowhere near 546 to the spire. I think the listed roof height of 441 is the actual spire height, and the roof is maybe 386.

And the old Frost building isn't 300 feet. Maybe 280.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...TX_Skyline.jpg
Wurzbach Tower certainly looks taller than the old Frost, so even if Frost is 280, WT would probably be tallest all residential in SA.

I'm going to have to find a laser measure somewhere, and get some rooftop access. This needs to be settled, for a number of buildings here.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 11:33 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Wurzbach Tower certainly looks taller than the old Frost, so even if Frost is 280, WT would probably be tallest all residential in SA.

I'm going to have to find a laser measure somewhere, and get some rooftop access. This needs to be settled, for a number of buildings here.
(like button)

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post

LOL!!!!

LOVE IT!!!

GOOD ONE, JAGA!!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:24 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
LOL!!!!

LOVE IT!!!

GOOD ONE, JAGA!!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!!
I have a genuine question. Why are you always screaming? It serves no real purpose and anytime I read one of your posts I read it as sarcasm because of the all caps and exclamation points.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I have a genuine question. Why are you always screaming? It serves no real purpose and anytime I read one of your posts I read it as sarcasm because of the all caps and exclamation points.
Agreed. And the emojis over and over make it seems as if you are constantly drinking, and looks poorly on this forum.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 3:12 AM

I look at it & see excitement & enthusiam. I say if that's it, then keep it up AwsomeSA!

Fryguy, how you sometimes talk to people here looks alot more "poorly" on this forum than a few capital letters & a couple exclamation points.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 4:46 AM
JACKinBeantown

I agree with UltraDanPrime.

AND KEEP DRINKING!!!!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 6:09 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
I look at it & see excitement & enthusiam. I say if that's it, then keep it up AwsomeSA!
I agree. When done appropriately. When it’s just the default way of posting I, in my personal opinion, feel it comes off less genuine.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Dec 19, 2018 at 2:03 PM. Reason: Replaced a word.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio