HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 6:20 PM

And a couple more for the Hub on Campus

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 6:42 PM

What's crazy is this is basically across the street from the rail station so I don't understand why FAR is limited here. The Zoning is so crap in this city.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The Zoning is so crap in this city.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 8:21 PM

DRC Recommendations for each project

SCAD
Quote:
SCAD’s proposed expansion will add 3,500 square feet to the existing 60,000-square-foot building at the northern end of West Peachtree Street. Taking design cues from the recently completed SCAD 40 building, the stucco-clad two-story expansion will include new signage and architectural lighting to accent the building at night. The project was approved by the DRC.

DRC recommendations:

a more comprehensive lighting analysis of the West Peachtree frontage to address pedestrian safety for students coming and going from the building.
landscape and buffer improvements were recommended to improve clarity between pedestrian zones and vehicle lanes.
Hanover
Quote:
Hanover is returning to Midtown with its largest project to date – a 40-story mixed-use tower at the southwest corner of West Peachtree and the planned extension of 15th Street. The significant project entails a stack of 8,600 square feet of ground floor retail uses at the street corner with 258,000 square feet of office and 328 market rate residential apartment units slated to begin construction in 2021, which best coordinates with the planned extension of 15th Street. The DRC commended the design team for the building’s overall architecture and supported most the requested minor variations, but did suggest a few design modifications to both meet code and improve the street level experience.

DRC Recommendations

Midtown streetscape standard be met consistent with projects to the east and south.
Addition of a pedestrian connection from 15th St. to the parking spaces in the lowest level of the 793 space parking deck, along with the application of art and greenery to the north façade to provide visual interest along the sloping future 15th St.
Due to the limited scope and scale of comments the design team suggested, these enhancements could be made quickly and easily.
Hub on Camprus
Quote:
Chicago-based Core Campus is entering the Midtown market for private off-campus student housing with a project on the NW corner of Spring and Peachtree Place. Located at 960 Spring Street, the site is directly across the street from two other student housing developments – The Mark, currently under construction by Landmark Properties to the east and University House to the south. Known as “Hub on Campus,” the project has 278 units (784 beds) and 5,600 square feet of ground floor retail uses along Spring Street. While the design team took steps to create a building that connotes warmth and human scale, the DRC recommended several critical modifications to enhance the success of the street-level retail and eliminate small alcoves that could present public safety challenges.

DRC Recommendations:

Retail entrances should be re-oriented to face the public sidewalk, planting strips in front of storefront windows should be minimized and the internal floor slab for the retail spaces should be designed for maximum flexibility for future tenants.
Green screening on the north façade was also recommended to mitigate the negative impact of the blank wall of the parking garage, as seen from both Spring and 10th Street.
Landscaping and a lockable gate were recommended on the western edge of the site to provide additional screening and ensure that public safety is not compromised.
While the applicant requested several variations related to setback, active use and landscape buffers, most of these issues can be addressed through re-design and the applicant will provide updated plans for further review by the committee in the new year.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 9:29 PM

Quote:
He has a point though...South Lake Union is a dull, sterile neighborhood. I like the way West Midtown/Howell Mill is developing moreso than SLU.
Speaking of, wish I knew how to embed Instagram/sniping smartalone’s image from the other thread

https://www.instagram.com/p/B58HCvvJ...d=2bzkqo14v6qu

I think Howell Mill absolutely pales in comparison to SLU from a density, walkability, transit, and bike lane accessibility standpoint. Howell Mill density is still relatively low and removed from the rest of the city and will continue to be even once all current proposals complete. Howell Mill is just more dense than what we’re used to in Atlanta, however Atlanta tends to build linearly instead of fanned out and our parking decks take up so much space. When we compare to another city or neighborhood, we need to remember we are literally leagues behind from an urbanism perspective and the density is nowhere close. Meanwhile SLU:

Last edited by Street Advocate; Dec 11, 2019 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 9:52 PM

I still think SLU is a dull sterile neighborhood. The streetscape is dull...the buildings are sterile and office feeling. Yeah, it's good density, but not all density is created equal. It's easily Seattle's worst urban neighborhood. Belltown is a better, less sterile urban neighborhood. There are better neighborhoods around the country to draw inspiration from.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 10:01 PM

I personally prefer Capitol Hill neighborhood, it is extremely dense even though nothing is very tall at all.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I still think SLU is a dull sterile neighborhood. The streetscape is dull...the buildings are sterile and office feeling. Yeah, it's good density, but not all density is created equal. It's easily Seattle's worst urban neighborhood. Belltown is a better, less sterile urban neighborhood. There are better neighborhoods around the country to draw inspiration from.
I will say entertainment along Howell Mill is some of the best I’ve seen for such a relatively high income neighborhood in Atlanta. Great local options and a few chains.

And agreed there are more neighborhoods in Seattle that have a better local feel, just thought we were comparing that one neighborhood to the Howell Mill corridor. I think Atlanta should be on the lookout so we don’t create our neighborhoods too sterile, too. Our creativity and local entertainment is what will separate us from other cities.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I will say entertainment along Howell Mill is some of the best I’ve seen for such a relatively high income neighborhood in Atlanta. Great local options and a few chains.

And agreed there are more neighborhoods in Seattle that have a better local feel, just thought we were comparing that one neighborhood to the Howell Mill corridor. I think Atlanta should be on the lookout so we don’t create our neighborhoods too sterile, too. Our creativity and local entertainment is what will separate us from other cities.
I actually think Howell Mill is becoming one of the more interesting, idiosyncratic, and organic urban neighborhoods we have in Atlanta - the blend of old structures and new, the retail/restaurant/gallery scene, and the widely varied urban form (some buildings are set back, some meet the street at an angle, varied heights, etc.) creates a very interesting and dynamic feeling as you move down the street. Regardless of the lack of transit or density that compares to some of the neighborhoods already referenced, I think the future for this corridor is very bright and I look forward to watching it continue to evolve.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
I actually think Howell Mill is becoming one of the more interesting, idiosyncratic, and organic urban neighborhoods we have in Atlanta - the blend of old structures and new, the retail/restaurant/gallery scene, and the widely varied urban form (some buildings are set back, some meet the street at an angle, varied heights, etc.) creates a very interesting and dynamic feeling as you move down the street. Regardless of the lack of transit or density that compares to some of the neighborhoods already referenced, I think the future for this corridor is very bright and I look forward to watching it continue to evolve.
I agree with all of this.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
Some of the better building designs in this corridor-- and the developments are varied as well-- so yes, I agree--

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 8:11 PM

I think the Hanover project looks great. It is different than what is around it, and since it is a broad building north to south, and similar in height to Icon, it will frame the vertical towers quite nicely from the west. If this is just good infill in Atlanta now, we are heading even further into boom times.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWNTWN View Post
I think the Hanover project looks great. It is different than what is around it, and since it is a broad building north to south, and similar in height to Icon, it will frame the vertical towers quite nicely from the west. If this is just good infill in Atlanta now, we are heading even further into boom times.
Agree. but a start of 2021?? Might as well be 2030???

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 9:07 PM

Just look at it as something to look forward to. There’s a lot to enjoy watching in the meantime.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 9:26 PM

The FIRST thing that comes to my mind when looking at the photo above is that all of Home Park needs to be rezoned for high density development.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Agree. but a start of 2021?? Might as well be 2030???
This tower will happen. It is a priority for the developer. Remember, there is not currently a street on the north side of the property where all the loading and service entrances will be. They plan to time this project to coincide with the 15th Street extension which, barring further delays, is scheduled to begin in 2021.

Besides, it will likely be mid to late 2020 before they get through the permitting process. So a 2021 timeline is not as far out in the future as it seems.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
The FIRST thing that comes to my mind when looking at the photo above is that all of Home Park needs to be rezoned for high density development.
I believe I'm on record as being on team Raze Home Park.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
I believe I'm on record as being on team Raze Home Park.
You gotta believe that money will talk at some point. But let's fill out Downtown first.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlanta View Post
You gotta believe that money will talk at some point. But let's fill out Downtown first.
Home Park doesn't neccessarily need highrises. It would be fine with rowhouses and smaller apartment projects.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlanta View Post
Ha! Good luck buying out hundreds and hundreds of property owners....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations