HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 6:48 PM

As far as I can tell. They have basically zero work done on actual engineering. I think they have land use, lots laid out on paper. Conceptual rail layouts. If they're ambitious I'll bet a coffee on next year at .

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 6:54 PM

Does this mean over time we'll see the tracks will be gone that is between Logan and Jarvis?

Reduced in a big way that is.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticwolf View Post
Does this mean over time we'll see the tracks will be gone that is between Logan and Jarvis?

Reduced in a big way that is.
Don't think so as I believe the CenterPort yard will be for rail traffic coming into / leaving CenterPort.

I don't know if there will be a reduction in the CP Intermodal terminal generating truck traffic as the containers may be shipped on the railcars to the CenterPort yard and moved around there to the local end users.

It may also have an impact on CN's truck container service traffic in Winnipeg if they use there rail running rights to take their container cars there to customers in CenterPort to be unloaded too.

CP will still need their yard for their rail traffic repair (RIP Tracks) and storage needs.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2022, 2:31 PM

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 26, 2022, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Don't think so as I believe the CenterPort yard will be for rail traffic coming into / leaving CenterPort.

I don't know if there will be a reduction in the CP Intermodal terminal generating truck traffic as the containers may be shipped on the railcars to the CenterPort yard and moved around there to the local end users.

It may also have an impact on CN's truck container service traffic in Winnipeg if they use there rail running rights to take their container cars there to customers in CenterPort to be unloaded too.

CP will still need their yard for their rail traffic repair (RIP Tracks) and storage needs.

I meant reduce the number of tracks. Sorry, l didn't explain myself properly. If this is the case. I can see rapid transit having an opportunity here to do something.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticwolf View Post
I meant reduce the number of tracks. Sorry, l didn't explain myself properly. If this is the case. I can see rapid transit having an opportunity here to do something.
Even though Winnipeg doesn’t have a metro it almost seems like we have the most rail infrastructure in the country relative to city size. I mean isn’t Symington Yards the largest in Canada?

Just repurposing our existing rail infrastructure would create arguably a world-class metro system.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2022, 8:07 PM

This will have zero impact on CP unless they have some type of agreement to move some of their ops out to CentrePort. But really why would they? It's basically just going to be another rail served industrial park with potentially some bigger clients. Potentially.

Which is great and all. But CentrePort just hasnt had any luck in wooing big companies to setup up major operations at CentrePort. So far it's mostly smaller building on gravel lots next to route 90. Mostly established companies moving from elsewhere. Theres been limited success in drawing anything new and/or big.

I have to sound so pesimistic on CentrePort. But so far really hasnt done anything. I get bits and pieces of dealings with CentrePort and this new rail park, and it's a lot of nobody has money. Just dreams.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2022, 9:48 PM

If I am not mistaken over 600 Acres of the CenterPort lands were originally owned by CP and sold to the Manitoba Govt when the Govt wanted land for the PTH 190 (CenterPort Canada Way) right of way. The Govt in turn transferred (sold?) the excess land to CenterPort for the project.

If CP rail had wanted to move their yards they could have done it years ago when they owned the land.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 5:50 PM

Centreport

Stefanson announced today $40 million in funding to get centreport north and south connected. She said city and province on board waiting for feds to put in their portion of funding.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 12:22 AM
What could go wrong?

If the feds don't come to the table, the Province will float the remaining $20m to bring their portion to $40m and the City to $20m.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 7:18 PM

Great move by Stefanson & the province.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 7:19 PM

hopefully there is momentum now for the project as I am jealous of Regina and their 1200-acre development for the co-op and cargill processing plants they are building.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 1:36 PM

I don't understand how it's taken like 15 years to get the servicing started. Sure they needed water for the Rosser portion. But it'll have been 2 decades before most of the 20,000 acres is useable. Doesn't seem ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
hopefully there is momentum now for the project as I am jealous of Regina and their 1200-acre development for the co-op and cargill processing plants they are building.
Just Cargill. If you check the GTH thread, it's pretty doom and gloom over there too.

Co-Op is on the east side north of their refinery.

Also, does it really make a difference if something is built within whatever boundaries of the GTH or Centreport are? In Regina, the 3 large canola crush plants are worth 1.5 billion dollars. Doesn't really matter if it's in the GTH or not.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 8:05 PM

Seems like Weston Foods is slowly making moves towards basing something larger out of Centreport, possible a relocation of their operations on Weston St? Also I am not sure but have a sneaking suspicion they are intentionally locating in the Roser section (lower property taxes).

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Seems like Weston Foods is slowly making moves towards basing something larger out of Centreport, possible a relocation of their operations on Weston St? Also I am not sure but have a sneaking suspicion they are intentionally locating in the Roser section (lower property taxes).
Loblaws main warehouse is in Regina to serve winnipeg and clagary stores fresh goods while their calgary warehouse supplies store supplies and the winnipeg warehouse stores hard goods

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Loblaws main warehouse is in Regina to serve winnipeg and clagary stores fresh goods while their calgary warehouse supplies store supplies and the winnipeg warehouse stores hard goods
Regardless of where Weston foods runs things from currently, they factually have a trailer yard in Centreport and are factually working on some sort of building there. It looks like it might be a transfer dock facility (ie take a load off one truck and split it onto several different trucks) or it might be something else.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 3:28 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Regardless of where Weston foods runs things from currently, they factually have a trailer yard in Centreport and are factually working on some sort of building there. It looks like it might be a transfer dock facility (ie take a load off one truck and split it onto several different trucks) or it might be something else.
I believe that would be 4Trax as they are expanding their operations out there, if you're referring to that big yard by PR221 and CentrePort Way.

They do operate as a contractor for Loblaw if I recall correctly.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 1:28 PM

Anyone have any idea as to what extent getting Centreport South serviced for development will alleviate the shortage of industrial land within city limits? It looks like a fair amount of real estate.

I also wonder whether there are any plans in the works to convert the two major intersections along CCW to grade-separated interchanges?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 1:41 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I also wonder whether there are any plans in the works to convert the two major intersections along CCW to grade-separated interchanges?
Good one.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Good one.
I had to ask!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan