HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 3:21 PM

That is a good opportunity though. The PCs will lose the next election, no doubt. But the NDP will take over a province in pretty rough shape. They'll be up against years of looking bad while Obby scores points as leader of the opposition. And if the next election cleans Con house out, that's even better in the following election. It'll be a lot easier to stomach voting conservative if Görtzen and Friesen and their ilk have moved on.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 3:28 PM

^ I'm pretty sure that Obby's plan. I don't think he's running in Fort Whyte with an endgame of being a backbench MLA.

That said, we just had a premier who was a successful small businessman who thinks the biggest problem facing society is that people aren't pulling themselves up by their bootstraps hard enough. I'm not sure I'm ready for another one.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 3:40 PM

Not saying I'd be ready for it either, but Pallister was an especially mean old prick. Obby actually has pretty strong community ties and a history of being charitable and giving back to the community. He is, at the very least, from the city. I don't see him constantly trying to fuck over the city like Pallister's gang did.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 4:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I'm pretty sure that Obby's plan. I don't think he's running in Fort Whyte with an endgame of being a backbench MLA.

That said, we just had a premier who was a successful small businessman who thinks the biggest problem facing society is that people aren't pulling themselves up by their bootstraps hard enough. I'm not sure I'm ready for another one.
Which is pretty rich to say when productivity in the country is up 60% from 1976 to 2019. I'm getting real tired of these grifters pushing this neoliberal propaganda but it works on a lot of folks still. The sad thing is, the people this works most on are the people who are far worse off today from all the cuts to public services and the offshoring of jobs.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 6:26 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

I dunno who I'm voting for next time but I'm sure sick of my ndp mla haven't seen squat from him when business and community reach out for support he shoots it down with pessimistic crap

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
lol @ Nahanni Fontaine. She is two bricks short of a load, She also lies and invents incidents that never happen (i.e. the washroom incident at the Forks).
I don't really know much about her. But seems like a decent person an probably better candidate than Wab.

The washroom incident is phony or?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 7:23 PM

Personally, I've always bled the blue of the PC's and really appreciated Palister. He may have been a prick but he was always honest about his direction and gave reasons why, whether you liked them or not. I also think his only flaw with healthcare reform was its timing, who could have predicted a pandemic in the middle of your reform.

That being said, I have completely lost confidence in this iteration of the PC's led by Stefanson. Next election I either won't vote or will vote Liberals as 3 competitive parties is better that 2. Supporting to lift another party is the most my next vote will do.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 10:13 PM

So funny. Always honest about his direction. Like when he wasn't paying taxes or lying about being at made up family weddings, or pretending to be in Winnipeg when he was in Costa Rica. Destroying the health care system and so on. Yeah, he was so great. just misunderstood. Sob.

Last edited by Ando; Feb 17, 2022 at 10:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
lol @ Nahanni Fontaine. She is two bricks short of a load, She also lies and invents incidents that never happen (i.e. the washroom incident at the Forks).
If you are going to make these kinds of accusations, then provide some proof. All I could find on line was that these incidents happened. I kind of expect a higher standard from people who post on here, it's not the Winnipeg Sun comment section.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Not saying I'd be ready for it either, but Pallister was an especially mean old prick. Obby actually has pretty strong community ties and a history of being charitable and giving back to the community. He is, at the very least, from the city. I don't see him constantly trying to fuck over the city like Pallister's gang did.
Athletes are popular but that doesn't mean they are going to be terrific politicians. Not saying he wouldn't be but, there really isn't any correlation between the two. I think the Cons have a long way to go if you think it will only be a one term NDP government. Ask all the people who are on waiting lists for procedures right now, or who had to go to another province for health care, all the while the Cons government cutting indiscriminately. Ask people who live in Winnipeg, who by the way overwhelmingly support the NDP right now, how they feel about the decline of the downtown, the lack of progress on transit and on, engineered by the rural Cons caucus. The NDP, or the Liberals if they were actually popular, will able to come in and support programs for the reinvigoration of the economy and the City, and hopefully go some way to fixing a broken health care system. There are difficult years ahead and cutting, cutting, cutting isn't going to work until things get turned around.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
... it's not the Winnipeg Sun comment section.
Now THAT is funny!

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 10:27 PM

To be fair, he might have been in the washroom at the time, and has some inside info.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 12:49 AM

I am not voting provincially next election as all 3 major parties are so incredibly bad and vindictive. Pcs are crooked who ruined our health system while at the same time attracting no new business to the province while billions in new business growth occurs now in Regina and Saskatoon. Ndp has no plans other than giving rich contracts to their union pals. Liberals are just white collar snobs who want to appease the crowd who wears triple covid masks at once.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I am not voting provincially next election as all 3 major parties are so incredibly bad and vindictive. Pcs are crooked who ruined our health system while at the same time attracting no new business to the province while billions in new business growth occurs now in Regina and Saskatoon. Ndp has no plans other than giving rich contracts to their union pals. Liberals are just white collar snobs who want to appease the crowd who wears triple covid masks at once.
Yes because increasing the minimum wage to at least $15/hour and reducing income taxes for small businesses clearly means NDP only want to give rich contracts to unions...

I'm definitely voting for the NDP because they actually give a crap for working class Manitobans instead of the aristocrats that the PC and the Liberals will pander to. Also, having an indigenous leader in office will probably mean heavy revitalization of the North and West end of the cities which is desperately needed if Winnipeg truly wants to take the next step as a major urban centre.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Athletes are popular but that doesn't mean they are going to be terrific politicians. Not saying he wouldn't be but, there really isn't any correlation between the two. I think the Cons have a long way to go if you think it will only be a one term NDP government. Ask all the people who are on waiting lists for procedures right now, or who had to go to another province for health care, all the while the Cons government cutting indiscriminately. Ask people who live in Winnipeg, who by the way overwhelmingly support the NDP right now, how they feel about the decline of the downtown, the lack of progress on transit and on, engineered by the rural Cons caucus. The NDP, or the Liberals if they were actually popular, will able to come in and support programs for the reinvigoration of the economy and the City, and hopefully go some way to fixing a broken health care system. There are difficult years ahead and cutting, cutting, cutting isn't going to work until things get turned around.
Yeah, I'm not saying it's a sure thing by any measure. Just that this is probably the best opportunity the Cons will get this decade: NDP wins the next election, Pallister-era monsters move on, NDP spends their term floundering, likeable new PC leader delivers the following election.

But it's more likely the Cons are in the desert for the next three elections. If the NDP are at least basically competent things will get better, and it'll be a long time until the Pallister stain washes out of the PC's bedsheets.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Also, having an indigenous leader in office will probably mean heavy revitalization of the North and West end of the cities which is desperately needed if Winnipeg truly wants to take the next step as a major urban centre.
Nationally, I think the optics of our next Premier being an Indigenous person will be a tremendous advantage, at least in the first couple of years as we see how Kinew runs the province.

Now I have NO numbers to back this up, but I have often felt that Winnipeg's reputation as "the most racist city in Canada" (thank YOU MacLean's magazine) has probably hurt our ability to recruit new business to the city. I don't know if I'm over-thinking this but given a choice between two or three locations that offer equal costs and amenities, I can easily envision businesses striking Winnipeg off their list because they or their employees didn't want to be associated with that negative vibe. No, it wouldn't be the only factor, but I think it's an important one where businesses look for a positive image for their company.

With Kinew as Premier, I think we would have the revitalization that thebasketballgeek speaks of, some serious attempts to improve life in Indigenous communities (as much as the province can do) AND some positive press for the province nationally (especially from the CBC, where Kinew was "one of their own" for a while).

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Nationally, I think the optics of our next Premier being an Indigenous person will be a tremendous advantage, at least in the first couple of years as we see how Kinew runs the province.

Now I have NO numbers to back this up, but I have often felt that Winnipeg's reputation as "the most racist city in Canada" (thank YOU MacLean's magazine) has probably hurt our ability to recruit new business to the city. I don't know if I'm over-thinking this but given a choice between two or three locations that offer equal costs and amenities, I can easily envision businesses striking Winnipeg off their list because they or their employees didn't want to be associated with that negative vibe. No, it wouldn't be the only factor, but I think it's an important one where businesses look for a positive image for their company.
I agree.

Certainly from younger newer businesses recruiting from a young and diverse pool of talent, I would expect Winnipeg's reputation of being a racist city of hicks has cost us - of course it'd only be a piece of the puzzle.

Further, from the perspective of actually trying to help the community, I think there is real value in having someone who has experienced it on a personal level.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
So without even a clue about party platforms for the next election, you’ve decided you are not going to vote based on a bunch of cliches. Just wanted to clarify.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 6:35 PM

Quote:
So without even a clue about party platforms for the next election, you’ve decided you are not going to vote based on a bunch of cliches. Just wanted to clarify.
I think "...billions in new business growth for Regina and Saskatoon" is well past cliche into delusion, but I digress.

Personally I'd love to see Kinew as Premier and Murray as Mayor of Winnipeg. A mayor with an actual vision for the city and a Premier who (apparently) isn't hostile towards the city. Of course I don't know how much would get done, but I would expect we'd see at least somewhat of a rise in downtown re-development (maybe action on The Bay building?) At the very least we wouldn't have a provincial government that doesn't leave millions of Federal $$ on the table because they wouldn't want to sully themselves taking that dirty "Liberal" money.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 6:42 PM

Just in my small circle of work. There are 3 of the largest canola crushing plants in the world being constructed right in Regina. One in the GTH. 2 in the NE corner north of co-op.

This would be about $1 billion worth of business. 2/3 to 3/4 of that construction costs. So the statement is fairly accurate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan