HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Stantec Tower & Sky Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Edmonton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 4:42 AM
Love skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I really don't think that is the case. Again, almost every Calgarian forumer has been supportive of this project. It's just a bit much to tell us how jealous we all are of this tower when there is nothing design-wise to be jealous of, and no one has given any evidence to support such a claim. I made a widely supported and already-mentioned observation about the design of the tower, it wasn't meant to be an insult, just a supporting claim in why there is no reason for us to be jealous. It's okay, Suncor is no prize pig and it was our tallest for like 25 years.

And what's this about city-proper populations? Both our city proper and metropolitan area are larger, so why would that be a often-mentioned topic?

If you don't want a response about Calgary, don't mention Calgary.
I think you need to bump some more Calgary threads and post useless info to keep the thread active.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyisnolimit View Post
When you start insulting the project you show the jelly. Just like Calgarians think only proper city population counts. Also the constant bumping of anything Calgary construction in this forum shows how desperate the city and its citizens need to be noticed.
Somebody states an opinion about a tower in Edmonton and all of a sudden Calgarians only city population counts.

By the way, most of the Calgary forumers have posted positive opinions of this tower, unlike most of the people from the other cities. Your insecurities are aimed at the wrong group.

Sounds like Edmonton is getting a wee bit defensive about some things.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 5:13 AM
Love skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
Somebody states an opinion about a tower in Edmonton and all of a sudden Calgarians only city population counts.

By the way, most of the Calgary forumers have posted positive opinions of this tower, unlike most of the people from the other cities. Your insecurities are aimed at the wrong group.

Sounds like Edmonton is getting a wee bit defensive about some things.
Insecurities lmao why so many Calgarians in a Edmonton thread pimping their buildings compared to this one. Calgary has allways been insecure about their city I have lived in both. Do you see Edmonton posters bumping up all their thresds every second day just to keep them in the spotlight. Don't worry Calgary some one might eventually ask you to the prom keep spamming .

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 2:31 PM
So very tired...

Can we please take this Edmonton vs Calgary talk elsewhere, it's very tiring....

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 3:12 PM

^^ Bulliver: Yes, thank you! Don't want a "Shit storm" here.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 4:18 PM
Editor

Now that we're back onto the subject of the tower itself, has anyone heard any updates?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 4:52 PM
So very tired...

Nothing yet AFAIK, but Stantec better finalize their plans quick, excavation is flying. Still working hard at 9:30pm last night....

Edit: Airboy mentioned in the arena thread that we could see concrete poured within a month or so.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 5:03 PM

I for one am pretty stoked for you guys! I hope that there are more towers in the 200m range proposed soon too because this thing is going to dominate Edmonton like Calgary sports teams!

Seriously though, can't wait to see this thing go up

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 5:20 PM

I for one think the whole arena district thing is an amazing project. As for the tower itself, it's not a beautiful building but then again neither is Brookfield Place. It's still a new tallest and that in itself is of huge significance.

Now stop the flamewar stuff guys.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 6:53 PM
Editor

The permit system must work a bit differently in Edmonton than Calgary. I believe here the city will grant a shoring/excavation permit ahead of the BP but only if the DP has been released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Nothing yet AFAIK, but Stantec better finalize their plans quick, excavation is flying. Still working hard at 9:30pm last night....

Edit: Airboy mentioned in the arena thread that we could see concrete poured within a month or so.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 7:38 PM
Community Guy

Correct. A footings and foundations permit can be obtained.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 7:58 PM

Seriously though, all sniping aside I think it's great that our two cities are in a bit of a skyscraper race.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 1:40 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Correct. A footings and foundations permit can be obtained.
Cool. I believe here they can only dig so far down...something like 5 meters until they get the full on BP.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Cool. I believe here they can only dig so far down...something like 5 meters until they get the full on BP.
Here you can build up to grade with a partial (foundation) permit.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:10 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Here you can build up to grade with a partial (foundation) permit.
I didn't know that. I thought you could only dig so far....is the partial permit the same as the permit for shoring?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 5:22 PM
Community Guy

Shoring is a fundamental requirement of footings and foundation, so yes.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 1:51 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Shoring is a fundamental requirement of footings and foundation, so yes.
I was asking more from the other way around in that, could you have a permit for shoring and excavation only and not any foundation work? At one time you could get a permit for shoring only...at least that used to be the case, but maybe they've changed it.
I'm wondering if there are now two different permits that involve shoring and excavation......the 'partial permit' that Calgarian said would allow work up to grade, or a permit for shoring only, or have they just changed it to allow anything up to grade.
The question would apply for both Edmonton or Calgary...just curious.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 7:17 PM
Master and Commander

I for one also like the Stantec Tower and it will do wonders for that area of the capital city. 8/10 I give, perhaps if Stantec could allow some greater freedom for design development it I would of given it a higher score.

Otherwise with all the supporting components around its immediate surrounding, I would definitely live there!
This project might also be a vertically phased project where the first half is built now and the other half be built at a later date if the economy forces the developers to change the project. Just the manner of the 2 separate masses for each of the 2 towers, this option could be a possibility in its design.

I have heard permit processing in Edmonton is like an architects dream, design professionals working there are a little bit less stressed and probably smoother screening/reviews than counterparts down here. Calgary is horrendous..
For instance they want separate building permits for retaining walls that are part of a site plan of a project but because its not physically part of the bldg, they interpret it as a separate 'building'..

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 7:36 PM
So very tired...

Yesterday.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 7:48 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
^ Truth is there's been a lot of rumours and speculation from all over, some from more reputable sources than others. There are egos at play. And there has been a drastic drop in oil prices in the interim, and the inevitable doom and gloom predictions that go along with that that may have put a damper on the bullishness of only a few months ago.

At this point I'm not sure anyone knows how tall this one will end up, including Stantec.
Yep - that about sums it up perfectly - thanks Bulliver, and thanks for the photo updates as well. Great to see construction continuing at a good clip.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive