HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 11:58 PM
Closed account

So everything in that square block is being demoed except for Johnson Hall? Are we going to see some implosions or are the structures too close to Johnson Hall and the street?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 4:22 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I wonder if it's just me, but I'm having trouble visualizing how this building, given its rather stout and broad proportions on the west and east faces, can actually be 513 feet tall. In the renderings provided so far, it doesn't look any taller than, say, the Colorado Tower.

Of course I'll wait to see more renderings, and I'm glad it actually is considerably taller for a new office construction in Austin, but I wonder if anyone on here is a photoshop talent enough to place it in comparison to One American Center, which is literally on the next block and will be over 100 feet shorter than this after it's built.

Anyone else seeing what I'm seeing?
I think it's because it's designed to look like it has half as many floors as it will actually have. The accents between every two floors make it appear that way. It's a design element some architects include that I have never liked because of that very reason... if you're going to design a tall building make it look like a tall building, not a shorter one. An example of it in an existing building is Wedbush Center in downtown Los Angeles. It has 23 floors but it looks like it has 7 or 8. The proportional Buddha next to it adds to the illusion.

https://cloudflarecdn.commercialcafe...jpg?height=542

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I think it's because it's designed to look like it has half as many floors as it will actually have. The accents between every two floors make it appear that way. It's a design element some architects include that I have never liked because of that very reason... if you're going to design a tall building make it look like a tall building, not a shorter one. An example of it in an existing building is Wedbush Center in downtown Los Angeles. It has 23 floors but it looks like it has 7 or 8. The proportional Buddha next to it adds to the illusion.

https://cloudflarecdn.commercialcafe...jpg?height=542
It always bothered me that you get a similar effect on the Colorado Tower building:

No, it's not exactly the same, as it isn't on every floor. Still, I never understood why they wanted the effect at all. Of course, at night you don't see the "double" floors:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 3:58 PM

http://austin.towers.net/requiem-for...l-at-block-71/

Chucklesome Towers post about the pending destruction (and undistinguished history of ) the Ashbel Smith Building.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 7:46 PM
Meh

It also makes counting floors difficult unless you go for an elevator ride.

Soil retention plans posted today.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...stem_PLANS.pdf

So I guess it's a safe bet to say this will be our next major tower to break ground.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:25 PM

It makes sense why this building is moving quickly. I've heard from a source that the majority of the space in this building is already spoken for.

I bet the 600 Guadalupe building is the same....

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:43 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
It makes sense why this building is moving quickly. I've heard from a source that the majority of the space in this building is already spoken for.

I bet the 600 Guadalupe building is the same....
I really hope it's the same for 600 Guad, that's the one building that I'm super stoked about. I have a pretty good feeling that it will given the builder's history in Austin.

This is the second building I'm excited about. I'm curious to see if they move right into construction once demolition is complete or will it sit for awhile. If the space has been commited then we should expect to see demolition at the start of next year if not sooner.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Is Block 71 open for any tenants, or is it reserved for more UT?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 6:47 PM

Wow, just realized exactly how much of that part of town is actively open for redevelopment. Block 71, 600 Guad, but also now supposedly the Austin Ale House/Maiko parcel. Walk a block or two and you have the Post Office block and the Courthouse block.

Not to mention some of the other blocks that might be second-order targets for redevelopment (I'm thinking parking garages on 4th and San Antonio, or 8th and Lavaca, or SW corner of 6th and Neuces).

It's true -- I just spent far too much of my lunch break mentally putting together the Amazon campus around 600 Guad.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Wow, just realized exactly how much of that part of town is actively open for redevelopment. Block 71, 600 Guad, but also now supposedly the Austin Ale House/Maiko parcel. Walk a block or two and you have the Post Office block and the Courthouse block.

Not to mention some of the other blocks that might be second-order targets for redevelopment (I'm thinking parking garages on 4th and San Antonio, or 8th and Lavaca, or SW corner of 6th and Neuces).

It's true -- I just spent far too much of my lunch break mentally putting together the Amazon campus around 600 Guad.
Facebook recently announced that they're hiring 10,000 more people to curtail fake news. This came after news that they're taking all of third + shoal... so it's possible they could occupy more buildings downtown going forward.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Is Block 71 open for any tenants, or is it reserved for more UT?
Open for tenants. My source is telling me that Indeed is the large tenant in this building.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Open for tenants. My source is telling me that Indeed is the large tenant in this building.
That is interesting. Indeed.com was looking at the Austin Oaks redevelopment for their main Austin campus of about 500,000 square feet. They could fit that into Block 71 with room to spare and be all in one building instead of spread out on a campus with multiple buildings.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
That is interesting. Indeed.com was looking at the Austin Oaks redevelopment for their main Austin campus of about 500,000 square feet. They could fit that into Block 71 with room to spare and be all in one building instead of spread out on a campus with multiple buildings.
Well from what I've been hearing, they have insane office requirements and are wanting more and more. So they couldn't even fit everyone they want inside of Block 71 even if they had the entire building.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 8:34 PM

Random, but is anyone else really bothered by the "balconies" on the side?? Like, I fkin hate the way they look. It makes this look like a 12 story mid-rise.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Random, but is anyone else really bothered by the "balconies" on the side?? Like, I fkin hate the way they look. It makes this look like a 12 story mid-rise.
I only hate them as far as how they make the rendering look like a mid-rise. Once the building hits 500'+ it won't matter.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 1:01 AM

Speaking of Indeed pre-leasing Block 71...

The tweet has since been deleted.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post

Q3 2019? That's less than two years. That doesn't seem like enough time to for a rather large demolition and build.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Q3 2019? That's less than two years. That doesn't seem like enough time to for a rather large demolition and build.
Yeah, I don't know where that date came from. All I've seen from city filings is a Summer 2018 start of construction with no targeted end date. So that's obviously not enough time for a Q3 2019 delivery.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post

The tweet hasn't been deleted: https://twitter.com/JeffBodenman/sta...96596687126528

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
I see you were just tweeting him about 600 Guadalupe. But no pre-leases yet according to Jeff B.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin