HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
Looks like two towers in one having sex.

They better be careful...that's how we get condos....

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 11:21 PM

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 1:19 PM

And the ABJ has the story now:
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...tin-block.html

From the article:
Quote:
It's the first glimpse into the Dallas-based developer's vision for the coveted block just north of Chase Bank Tower, and was first reported by Austin Towers.

That's a damn lie. It was first reported here as usual.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
And the ABJ has the story now:
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...tin-block.html

From the article:

That's a damn lie. It was first reported here as usual.
Yep, like pretty much everything else.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 2:44 PM

I've been idly wondering about the what sort of effects filling in that portion of DT with office workers will have on the neighborhood. Between Block 71 and 600 Guad, that's suddenly a lot of office space available. Assuming that at some point the old Post Office site goes, too (it HAS to, right?), and assuming that that block has at least a portion dedicated to office . . . . there's going to be a lot of action up in that portion of the business district.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 3:17 PM

I wish one of these articles had a projected start date. Does anyone know? Apologies if it deeper in the thread.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 2:43 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I've been idly wondering about the what sort of effects filling in that portion of DT with office workers will have on the neighborhood. Between Block 71 and 600 Guad, that's suddenly a lot of office space available. Assuming that at some point the old Post Office site goes, too (it HAS to, right?), and assuming that that block has at least a portion dedicated to office . . . . there's going to be a lot of action up in that portion of the business district.
I'm going to guess you would see an uptick in bars and restaurants in the area and potentially some condos making their way to the "middle" portion of downtown.

West 5th/6th feel like a good spot for more condo growth to follow from the increase in downtown office space.

That area has some restaurants and bars, but in this region of downtown they concentrate below 5th street for the most part (Italic and a few chain "fancy" steak places being the primary exceptions).

There isn't any real potential growth to the Northwest because of the protected historic homes that occupy that area of DT.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 6:04 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I'm going to guess you would see an uptick in bars and restaurants in the area and potentially some condos making their way to the "middle" portion of downtown.

West 5th/6th feel like a good spot for more condo growth to follow from the increase in downtown office space.

That area has some restaurants and bars, but in this region of downtown they concentrate below 5th street for the most part (Italic and a few chain "fancy" steak places being the primary exceptions).

There isn't any real potential growth to the Northwest because of the protected historic homes that occupy that area of DT.
West 6th has many bars/rooftop lounges between Nueces and West. Adding residential along 6th is a bad idea IMO. Having said that, there's already a residential building planned and 7th and Rio is right behind several of those nightspots.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
West 6th has many bars/rooftop lounges between Nueces and West. Adding residential along 6th is a bad idea IMO. Having said that, there's already a residential building planned and 7th and Rio is right behind several of those nightspots.
When I was a leasing agent, there were a few apartments available periodically above Dirty 6th, and you'd be surprised how many people (students,bar staff types) wanted to live there.

I bet if there were units along 6th, they would fill up just fine. Maybe not at the same rate as the ones with a great view, but some people love that hustle/bustle, even if it is just for a year or so with some roomies.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 2:02 AM
Love Austin

I live on e. 6th--IT'S AMAZING!! Been watching oil distributors, recycling plants, parking lots and abandoned strip malls turn into one of the most exciting places in Texas!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 4:46 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Been to Hell's Kitchen or Kip's Bay in NYC? There are people who *want* to live above nightlife. Even Wrigleyville is pretty rowdy.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 7:08 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Been to Hell's Kitchen or Kip's Bay in NYC? There are people who *want* to live above nightlife. Even Wrigleyville is pretty rowdy.
Oh I don't doubt. Even I wouldn't mind living by a club district but this is Austin and we all know that there are people move DT then complain about noise despite the fact that they chose to live DT.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 2:02 PM

Off topic: Just to be clear, the original (taller) version has been scrapped, yeah?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Off topic: Just to be clear, the original (taller) version has been scrapped, yeah?
That was one of the losing proposals from Endeavor & Nelsen Partners. I liked that one better. But I still like this one.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 7:55 PM
Meh

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 6:41 PM
Everywhere all at once

I wonder if it's just me, but I'm having trouble visualizing how this building, given its rather stout and broad proportions on the west and east faces, can actually be 513 feet tall. In the renderings provided so far, it doesn't look any taller than, say, the Colorado Tower.

Of course I'll wait to see more renderings, and I'm glad it actually is considerably taller for a new office construction in Austin, but I wonder if anyone on here is a photoshop talent enough to place it in comparison to One American Center, which is literally on the next block and will be over 100 feet shorter than this after it's built.

Anyone else seeing what I'm seeing?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:32 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I wonder if it's just me, but I'm having trouble visualizing how this building, given its rather stout and broad proportions on the west and east faces, can actually be 513 feet tall. In the renderings provided so far, it doesn't look any taller than, say, the Colorado Tower.

Of course I'll wait to see more renderings, and I'm glad it actually is considerably taller for a new office construction in Austin, but I wonder if anyone on here is a photoshop talent enough to place it in comparison to One American Center, which is literally on the next block and will be over 100 feet shorter than this after it's built.

Anyone else seeing what I'm seeing?
I think it's an illusion because of how wide it is. It's going to have quite a presence.

In this rendering, the building on the right is Chase Bank Tower (322'). You can see how much taller Block 71 is. Knowing that scale, you can see how the tip of that roof that slants upward is 500'+.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:42 PM

The elevations have been released. I don't think anyone should be worried about the height based on renderings.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
They need to do demolition on the site before starting construction. That could be the reason?
If this was a little sooner then they could probably started with the demolition by now here in Texas.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 11:49 PM

Whoa. Construction fencing is up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin