HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 10:38 PM

I know Sobey's has their Cash / Carry store on Duffern for the small corner store / and mom and pop restaurants, but do they supply in a big way anybody else besides Target?

I know that Safeway through it's McDonald Consolidated division on King Edward supplies Cantor's and the Food Fare stores in Manitoba.

This sale could have an effect on where they get their products from if Sobey's gets out of the competive wholesale business.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I remember when Penner's was changed to Sobey's. My Grandma nearly lost her mind!
I must be getting old, I remember that store changing from Loblaw's to an EconoMart , and then after Loblaws opened the Superstore on Mcleod they leased that location to Penner's.

It shows that retail chains don't stay around forever.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 11:05 PM
I am a typical

McDonald Consolidated supplies all of the independent grocery stores and many smaller stores in Thunder Bay, to the point that they're basically just Safeway without the name. Loblaws also supplies stores but I don't think it is to the same degree as McDonald's Consolidated.

I don't think Sobey's will be quick to rebrand Safeway. The brand has really good recognition and loyalty here. Smaller stores in less profitable areas will probably be Safeway for years to come.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 5:28 PM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...211521421.html

Some insight into what could happen with Sobeys/Safeway.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 5:05 PM

Just thinking would this be a good time for Red River Co-op to get back in the grocery business in a bigger way.

They have two MarketPlace stores in Winnipeg and if there are Sobey/Safeway stores that have to be closed to keep the Fed Govt happy it may be a good time to take them over if the rent is reasonable.

They use to be fairly busy when they had the 3 medium size stores in Winnipeg and it was the large one that they built (and later sold to Super Store on McPhillips) that did them in.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 5:56 PM

Good point.

Or, this will be an opportunity for other Canadian-owned operators to step in and set up shop.

http://www.jimpattison.com/food/default.aspx

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 6:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post

Good point.

Or, this will be an opportunity for other Canadian-owned operators to step in and set up shop.

http://www.jimpattison.com/food/default.aspx
Save-On-Foods!!!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 6:27 PM

With the amount of overlap and two distribution centers in Winnipeg it seems likely that a Safeway/Sobeys merger will see a new entrant in the Winnipeg grocery market.

As mentioned, Co-Op and Save-on-Foods are two of the leading choices. Whole Foods has also expressed a significant interest in Canada as a whole so this might be a matter of the right place/right time. Other possibilities I would classify as long-shots are Metro (used to opeate Dominion stores here) and Trader Joes (currently no plans for Canada).

I think the distribution center is the crown jewel here as it really opens to door wide.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Just thinking would this be a good time for Red River Co-op to get back in the grocery business in a bigger way.

They have two MarketPlace stores in Winnipeg
'The Marketplace' in Winnipeg is part of co-op, but it is not Red River co-op specifically.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
With the amount of overlap and two distribution centers in Winnipeg it seems likely that a Safeway/Sobeys merger will see a new entrant in the Winnipeg grocery market.

As mentioned, Co-Op and Save-on-Foods are two of the leading choices. Whole Foods has also expressed a significant interest in Canada as a whole so this might be a matter of the right place/right time. Other possibilities I would classify as long-shots are Metro (used to opeate Dominion stores here) and Trader Joes (currently no plans for Canada).

I think the distribution center is the crown jewel here as it really opens to door wide.
This could be very interesting for the grocery store development / reno scene since there will likely be several (old) safeway locations shut down, which will offer the opportunity for reno and re-use, OR teardown and reconstruction (a la Safeway former zellers on Pembina Hwy). Many of the Pattison branded stores have their own look and feel, and may prefer new construction over old. Not sure about Whole foods... I'm sure they could go either way.

Lets just hope this whole situation doesn't add to the downtown food desert problem.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
This could be very interesting for the grocery store development / reno scene since there will likely be several (old) safeway locations shut down, which will offer the opportunity for reno and re-use, OR teardown and reconstruction (a la Safeway former zellers on Pembina Hwy). Many of the Pattison branded stores have their own look and feel, and may prefer new construction over old. Not sure about Whole foods... I'm sure they could go either way.

Lets just hope this whole situation doesn't add to the downtown food desert problem.
I think the potential Safeway closures will be a mix of older, low-profit stores like the Sargent location and ones that are close to existing Sobeys like Kildonan Place and Grant Park. It is the duplicate stores that are most likely to be conversions. As for the other brands having their own look and feel, I think it could be a mix of adopting the look and working with the space that is available. An example is the Garden Market IGA to Sobeys conversions. The deli was on an outside wall and the meals department in the back corner. As stores have come up for renovation the meals department moved to the front and the deli moved to a isle in the middle.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 4:07 AM

I guess this is why I am not in retail. I would keep the Grant Park and Kildonan Crossing Safeway locations as they are bigger and have better parking. I don't even want to think of what the parking will be like at the Sobey's on Panet if they keep that store instead of the Safeway in the next block.

Grant Park also has a draw in Target and the MLC and is better located for bus traffic.

Maybe they could dispose of them if Sobey's thinks that they can get a lot of money by selling out the leases for these Safeway locations than the Sobey locations.

As for the Safeway on Sargent it's the only one in the area now that Extra Foods has closed up so I am sure that it has become more profitable. If it goes the west end will be a real food island.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I guess this is why I am not in retail. I would keep the Grant Park and Kildonan Crossing Safeway locations as they are bigger and have better parking. I don't even want to think of what the parking will be like at the Sobey's on Panet if they keep that store instead of the Safeway in the next block.

Grant Park also has a draw in Target and the MLC and is better located for bus traffic.

Maybe they could dispose of them if Sobey's thinks that they can get a lot of money by selling out the leases for these Safeway locations than the Sobey locations.

As for the Safeway on Sargent it's the only one in the area now that Extra Foods has closed up so I am sure that it has become more profitable. If it goes the west end will be a real food island.
While each location may have pros to keeping the Safeway store over a near by Sobey's store the reality is there was be a cost associated with bringing those locations up to the brand standard. Also the Competition Bureau is going to be viewing the merger and possibily instructions the the sale of certain Safeway assests occur making cherry-picking the most prime location of both chains more difficult. It isn't so much a case of which locations in Manitoba can be sold for the highest amount but rather how can they get the deal done with minimal barriers.

As for the Sargent location, while it is true there is minimal competition for that store that is not necessarily a positive either as it is reported to have relatively high theft rates. If the merger does go through it will be interesting to see what happens with that location.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 6:25 PM

Just noticed today that Hakim Optical has moved into the old commercial space on the main floor of the Casa Loma Building, at Portage and Sherbrook.

This space has been vacant for years. It's such a high profile corner, surprised it's taken this long. Good news to see some new life in this block.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Just noticed today that Hakim Optical has moved into the old commercial space on the main floor of the Casa Loma Building, at Portage and Sherbrook.

This space has been vacant for years. It's such a high profile corner, surprised it's taken this long. Good news to see some new life in this block.
i was by there yesterday and nothing, must be new today. good to hear

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 3:16 PM

The Winnipeg Free Press today sepculates that Sobeys may introduce additional brands if their Safeway takeover proceeeds, specifically calling out ethnic stores as a possibility. Winnipeg definitely seems to be at the tipping point for a large player to launch an Asian focused ethnic banner in Winnipeg, espeically is the southern part of the city. Perhaps the Grant Park and Kenaston stores will convert the a Sobey's version of Lucky or T&T.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 4:50 PM

i drive by the fiat dealership on pembina everyday on my way to work and noticed that alot of the cars on the front lot are gone, only a few of them there. are they closing down? or are they just really good at selling fiats?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Heard from a source that Costco has indeed secured land in NW Winnipeg for a new store, location near Murray and McPhillips, I would assume close to where the CP Trail extension will intersect McPhillips.
costco announced the other day they plan to open 25 more stores in canada focussing on montreal winnipeg and some other understored places...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 2:01 AM
What could go wrong?

Ikea is currently flooded, inside and out.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=3OA5M...%3D3OA5MF7rYCw
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 2:23 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Ikea is currently flooded, inside and out.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=3OA5M...%3D3OA5MF7rYCw
how? cause of the rain?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan