HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
So... Back to retail.

You can go to Hanford Drewitt for men's clothing... Corner of Carlton and Broadway -- not too far, but a little more expensive than The Bay.

And, though it was rather short lived, Unfold Apparel was rather good for men's clothing -- again, a bit more expensive than The Bay. Too bad it didn't last long.

Does anyone have any recommendation for Men's business/business casual clothing?

EPH apparal is on Gary st according to their website (I've never been). I think they're custom only though. https://ephapparel.com/

Jose & Markham in the Exchange sells mens dress shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
This brings me back to my original point, Carlton and Broadway is no where near waking distance from outside or the skywalk system from the East Exchange. If Im gonna have to use a vehicle then i might as well drive to a mall. And if Im gonna have to start driving everywhere, why live downtown?
Huh? It's a block away from the Convention Centre which is accessible via the skywalk. Unless I'm misunderstanding your issue. It's the same distance as from the Bay to the exchange.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 3:32 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
This brings me back to my original point, Carlton and Broadway is no where near waking distance from outside or the skywalk system from the East Exchange. If Im gonna have to use a vehicle then i might as well drive to a mall. And if Im gonna have to start driving everywhere, why live downtown?
Seriously?

In which city can you expect to live in that has a selection of menswear shops within a 5 block radius from every condo downtown?

Have you considered that you might just live in the wrong area of downtown?

If you lived between Assiniboine and Broadway this wouldn't be an issue.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 3:43 PM

Last edited by JamieDavid Exchange; Mar 29, 2013 at 8:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 4:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
EPH apparal is on Gary st according to their website (I've never been). I think they're custom only though. https://ephapparel.com/

it does look like EPH moved into the space at 291 Garry. I know they were looking for a space in downtown or in Osborne, so it would be great news if they did set up downtown.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 5:39 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal all have some big name grocery and department chain in their downtown for residents.
I lived in the Calgary south beltline (near 17th Ave SW) for a few years and the grocery situation was pretty poor given the thousands of people that lived there. The population is probably 10-20 times higher than that of the Exchange.

There was ONE Safeway at 8th St and 12th Ave and that was pretty much it. Unless you lived way down on 4th St SW and 25th Ave.

The walk from my apartment on 10A St SW to that Safeway was the exact same distance (1.4km) than the walk from the Ashdown building to the IGA on Donald. There is now a Calgary CO-OP on 10th St SW but that only shaved 300m off the walk to Safeway.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 6:05 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
I disagree with your definition of walking distance... I can see it for things like groceries that would be hard to carry when you return to your house, but a bag of clothing would be easy to carry at this distance.

But I guess that's all a matter of prospective.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 6:07 PM

Last edited by JamieDavid Exchange; Mar 29, 2013 at 8:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 6:11 PM

Ill second Hotwired on that. It's still not as accessible in Calgary vs Winnipeg as you seem to think, JDE. It can still be a hike in Calgary to get to a grocery store depending on where you live even if its downtown

Not that I disagree with you JDE; in fact I do agree that there should be some more grocery options in the exchange. Going to either the forks or the IGA can be a bit of a hike. And correct me if I'm wrong but there is a grocery store of sorts on the way for the exchange district. (Have you tried the store in MonDragons? It's not the most ideal and it's all organic stuff but it's an option to grab some fruit and such)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 6:16 PM

Quote:
So, it seems you're arguing the fact that Winnipeg downtown is just fine with a tiny Independent Grocers shop and some small speciality clothing stores? Who cares that the bay is closing, athlete world is closing, zellers and grocery is closing, right? We have an IGA!!!!
Sounds to me you really don't care for our downtown with all the new residents flooding in and soon to be millions of visitors annually in the area.
I think it's more that Winnipeg isn't as much an exception or the odd one out as you think.

That said there should be more options and hopefully that will come with more residences in the exchange

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 6:37 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post

I have seen EPH apparal before -- some friends introduced me. I'm not a big fan of it though. For the price of the garments I would rather have an OTR Boss, RL or CK suit and then get it tailored to fit me better. I am glad to hear of another independent and local operation moving to downtown offices though.

As for Jose and Markham, I will have to check that out, but I always have problems with the width of my feet.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 8:56 PM

Bought a pair of boots at Jose and Markham last spring...love em. I definitely recommend checking it out.

My next pair of shoes/boots will be from there.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 9:14 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenn View Post
Bought a pair of boots at Jose and Markham last spring...love em. I definitely recommend checking it out.

My next pair of shoes/boots will be from there.
I went for a walk around the Exchange today at lunch and found another place for clothing. It was about 80:20 women's wear to men's wear ratio, but it did have a bit. Ordnry, a small front between the Freep Cafe and Mariaggi Theme Suite. It's not new, it's been there since maybe March 2012, but we didn't mention it before, so I thought I would.

Does anyone know of small boutiques like this outside of Downtown?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 9:28 PM
BANNED

There is also Moi Boutique on Albert. Agreed about Jose & Markham though, their shoes are great.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 9:43 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
So, it seems you're arguing the fact that Winnipeg downtown is just fine with a tiny Independent Grocers shop and some small speciality clothing stores? Who cares that the bay is closing, athlete world is closing, zellers and grocery is closing, right? We have an IGA!!!!
Sounds to me you really don't care for our downtown with all the new residents flooding in and soon to be millions of visitors annually in the area.
I have been saying for a very long time (since it was announced) that the lot on the corner of Amy and James should not become a parkade, instead it should be built into something that would help the people of the exchange live without a car (or cars).

The City sees an equity partnership with the private sector in a parking structure as nothing but dollar signs, but they don't consider the negitive externalities and opportunity costs of developing this land for parking.

I, for one, think this location would be ideal for a grocery store.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 10:04 PM

Last edited by JamieDavid Exchange; Mar 29, 2013 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 10:40 PM

Don't forget there was a grocery store in Portage Place complex when it first opened. It was a Shop Easy or that same style of store and was in the building behind Edmonton court. It may have been ahead of its time because if I recall properly it closed up due to lack of customers.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Don't forget there was a grocery store in Portage Place complex when it first opened. It was a Shop Easy or that same style of store and was in the building behind Edmonton court. It may have been ahead of its time because if I recall properly it closed up due to lack of customers.
It was pretty small, right? More like a convenience store? I don't recall it being affiliated with any chain but that was a while ago ...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
It was pretty small, right? More like a convenience store? I don't recall it being affiliated with any chain but that was a while ago ...
It was one of the Westfair (Loblaws) supplied independent brands. Same concept as Macdonald Consolidated (Safeway) supplying Family Foods stores.

If I remember the few times I went in there it was around the same size as the IGA on Donald. Guy who owned it back then also had one on Watt St. in East Kildonan. That store is still there not sure if he is still involved with it.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 2:36 AM

Marshall's has a sign up, stating they be opening April 4th? (Thursday)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 3:47 PM

Extra Foods on Main St. reported to close according to staff.

More info in the Free Press Link

Not sure which media outlet reported it but the store is not going dark but rather converting to a different brand in the same company, No Frills. There will likely be a dark period while the conversion is done.

Also with three Extra Foods closing here recently (Notre Dame and Steinbach are the other two) perhaps the whole Extra Foods brand is being phased out.

There is definitely a lot more to this story than is widely being reported.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan