HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
There is no point on having a discussion with some of the Winnipeg who ahve never bothered to live in other comparable Canadian cities. If you did, God forbid, you may realise there is indeed a problem here.
Yeah you're right, other comparable cities definitely don't have these problems.

Oh wait......

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/man-atta...-eps-1.6537208

https://edmontonsun.com/news/local-n...5-f68b80cc251a

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/woman-st...tion-1.5910887

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/senior-s...ault-1.5877002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV6F...hannel=CTVNews

https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/colu...nsit-more-safe

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2023/09...wing-violence/

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 4:37 PM

Winnipeg definitely has a problem, but it's not unique to just Winnipeg. I lived for years in Vancouver and violent crime is a problem there, despite it being a wealthier city. The city and transit there do feel safer overall given the density of the city and higher ridership. Winnipeg unfortunately does suffer from a lot of poverty, which many are working to improve. As a millennial, I feel that we need both strong support services, but also need to be tougher on crime and not allow lawlessness to perpetuate.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 4:37 PM

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 5:07 PM

Classic whataboutism.

OK you guys win. There is no problem with crime on transit, at stations, in the Village, or downtown.

Everything is fine, and let's ignore the problem.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Some notes from the Transit Master Plan engagement session yesterday at Millennium Library:
  • The new design will net the same number of buses, though concentrated on fewer routes.
  • Greater use of articulated buses is expected where geometry allows.
  • The first infrastructure priority is dedicated guideway on Main Street between Graham and where the existing guideway terminates
  • The elevated section running along the tracks behind Union Station is still in the design
  • A similar redesign in Edmonton led to an immediate 10% increase in ridership
  • Winnipeg Transit feels the redesign of the Southwest system was a pretty successful experiment that informs the changeover for the rest of the city
What is a guideway, pardon my ignorance haha. Kinda sucks infra priorities aren't the big ticket items but I guess that's par for the course when the city is broke.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Classic whataboutism.

OK you guys win. There is no problem with crime on transit, at stations, in the Village, or downtown.

How is it whataboutism when you're the one who brought up comparisons to other cities in the first place?

For a third time, literally no one here has said there is no problem or that everything is fine. You keep insisting we said things we didn't say, and then you move the goalposts and post about homicides instead of transit. You're clearly not interested in engaging in good faith or having a productive discussion.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
How is it whataboutism when you're the one who brought up comparisons to other cities in the first place?

For a third time, literally no one here has said there is no problem or that everything is fine. You keep insisting we said things we didn't say, and then you move the goalposts and post about homicides instead of transit. You're clearly not interested in engaging in good faith or having a productive discussion.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Mar 2, 2024 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrial78 View Post
Winnipeg definitely has a problem, but it's not unique to just Winnipeg. I lived for years in Vancouver and violent crime is a problem there, despite it being a wealthier city. The city and transit there do feel safer overall given the density of the city and higher ridership. Winnipeg unfortunately does suffer from a lot of poverty, which many are working to improve. As a millennial, I feel that we need both strong support services, but also need to be tougher on crime and not allow lawlessness to perpetuate.
^This

The Youth For Christ centre was a great addition to that area, despite the protests of Nahanni Fontaine. We need to keep open, and expand community centres, libraries, drop-in centres, and recreation facilities.

Only then, will our at-risk youth prosper.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 9:04 PM

Quote:
^This

The Youth For Christ centre was a great addition to that area, despite the protests of Nahanni Fontaine. We need to keep open, and expand community centres, libraries, drop-in centres, and recreation facilities.

Did she really protest it? If true that's super funny because I know about 5 years ago I was familiar with her family and her youngest son was big into skateboarding and regularly went there.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 10:13 PM

Quote:
^This

The Youth For Christ centre should not be receiving any tax dollars for its programs. LGBTQ youth and others do not feel comfortable going there, which is big reason for the new community skate park in Portage Place. I agree with the need for more community centres and facilities, but not those tied to religious indoctrination.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Did she really protest it? If true that's super funny because I know about 5 years ago I was familiar with her family and her youngest son was big into skateboarding and regularly went there.

"The Christian youth centre in a primarily aboriginal neighbourhood stirs up thoughts of historical assimilation, some First Nations leaders told councillors.

Nahanni Fontaine, director of justice for the Southern Chiefs Organization, an advocacy group for First Nations people in southern Manitoba, said giving public money to the project would be like contributing to the contemporary version of residential schools under the guise of helping youth.

"[We] saw religion used as an abusive and violating mechanism in which to assimilate aboriginal children into Euro-Canadian mainstream," she said.

"Aboriginal people were assured that these sort of infringing practices and strategic policies would never occur again."

Approving this proposal would just be sanctifying a "more contemporary form of the residential school experience," Fontaine said."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...nding-1.885998

One wonders if anyone ever clued Fontaine into the fact that Christian-based organisations like the Siloam Mission, Salvation Army, and Union Gospel Mission were mere blocks away from the YFC rec centre...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
What is a guideway, pardon my ignorance haha. Kinda sucks infra priorities aren't the big ticket items but I guess that's par for the course when the city is broke.
Dedicated roadway.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Winnipeg Transit safety officers elbowed, kicked, almost bitten weeks into new job
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/transit-...tten-1.6806566

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Classic whataboutism.

Winnipegers will never accept how bad things are here. This is why things won't improve. Even vancouver has a lower violent crime/homicide rate than Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:10 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
I mean, isn't that kinda the job description..?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I mean, isn't that kinda the job description..?
In Winnipeg, certainly.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrial78 View Post
, I feel that we need both strong support services, but also need to be tougher on crime and not allow lawlessness to perpetuate.
I agree. We really need to do both. Even Wab Kinew seems to agree with this as something came out in the news he is about to get tougher on repeat offenders and make it harder for violent offenders to make bail. A small step but definetely in the right direction. Something that shoul have been done decades ago. I personally support stronger sentencing for violent criminals and drug dealers. Drugs are a huge factor in crime in this city.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:21 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
In Winnipeg, certainly.
IMO, it's sort of like someone in the army complaining they are being sent to fight in a war.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
IMO, it's sort of like someone in the army complaining they are being sent to fight in a war.
Yeah that is a fitting comparison taking the bus in Winnipeg. Not sure anyone was complaining though, just highlighting how bad things are here.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:28 PM
the first stamp is free

^ but does that highlight anything? You figure that transit safety officers were getting hired to sit and read a paper all day, talk about the weather with the drivers?

Good grief people. Unhinged, sometimes violent people on the bus. Water is wet. Sky is blue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan