HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 12:59 PM

Am I imagining this or did I see renderings where the wave was glassed in and lit from within, similar to box on the Wachovia Building at AS?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 5:33 PM

From the 180s? I cannot even fathom such prices somewhere like here in SF.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 5:55 PM

Come on over

When i show my friends in NY what I bought for 250 they freak out.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 6:08 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
From the 180s? I cannot even fathom such prices somewhere like here in SF.
True, but rest assurred, roadwarrior, those would be the very tiniest 1 Br units on the very lowest floors. The average price in this tower is undoubtedly more like double or more of that. Still, your point is correct...Atlanta remains one of the most affordable large metros in the country.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 6:11 PM

^With the way the condo market is right now, you may actually be able to snatch a pretty good deal at Viewpoint for 180k or so.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
True, but rest assurred, roadwarrior, those would be the very tiniest 1 Br units on the very lowest floors. The average price in this tower is undoubtedly more like double or more of that. Still, your point is correct...Atlanta remains one of the most affordable large metros in the country.
Yeah, maybe so, but those same tiny 1 bedroom condos go from about $500k-$700k here in SF. I can't even find a decent 2 bedroom condo for under $800k and if I want a view, it goes up rapidly from there.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 8:36 PM
Back on the road again

Oh yes, we're well aware of the out-of-control housing costs over your way!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 1:22 AM
roma volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
The new towers are what is bringing diversity.
i meant diversity in the design for the 2nd and 3rd towers. i hope they have a change in heart and decide to alter the look, at least a little bit, for each. im thinking they should at least change the color of glass per building.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleystreetindustry View Post
i meant diversity in the design for the 2nd and 3rd towers. i hope they have a change in heart and decide to alter the look, at least a little bit, for each. im thinking they should at least change the color of glass per building.
I agree but for different reasons. The other two towers would create a giant 30 story wall, when viewed from the blocks north and south of Viewpoint. Look at the side view of the model to see what I mean.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 1:04 AM
roma volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I agree but for different reasons. The other two towers would create a giant 30 story wall, when viewed from the blocks north and south of Viewpoint. Look at the side view of the model to see what I mean.
the model in person is quite beautiful. but i understand what you mean. maybe if all three were not of the same/similar height, color, and shape.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 1:33 AM

SF might be more expensive, but it has a reason - Its a real city as Atlanta is still trying (in about 20 years it may just get there as long as people here lose their attitudes and their stupid CARS)

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 2:28 AM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypkatl View Post
SF might be more expensive, but it has a reason - Its a real city as Atlanta is still trying (in about 20 years it may just get there as long as people here lose their attitudes and their stupid CARS)
SF has a reason and is a real city. Atlanta is still trying and needs to loose the attitude. Well that explains everything I am so enlightened.

Just remember karma is a b!tch. If my city was built on top of a giant fault line I might be nicer when I talked about someone else's city. After all one 8 on the Rickter Scale and... well I'm being nice today. But seriously lighten up on Atlanta.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypkatl View Post
I'm surprised someone hasn't ripped you a new one by now......you are treading on very thin ice, bub.

If you hate it here so damn much, fine - but shut the fuck up about it already, or get the fuck out.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 1:46 PM
Back on the road again

Yes. It's amazing how quickly he (or she) became a broken record with so few posts. I've tuned him (or her) out already.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 3:32 PM

aww man, is jaypkatl lurking around on this thread too??? I want to know who the hell is responsible for letting jaypkatl out of the cage! Someone catch the bastard, lock him (or her) back up, and send em' back to SF.

Contrary to what others have said, I think the "suburban" Starbucks on the corner will be kind of a neat little break in the urban scene once everything gets built up around it. Its an anomally if you will. I think it will make things more interesting.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 3:33 PM

I am just making observations about my exepriences, nothing more. I have enjoyed living in Atlanta and living someplace that has come a LONG way in such a short period of time. Not alot of people experience the growth of a city, but I think there is so much still holding Atlanta back that it is going to be difficult for it to become what everyone wants it to be.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 3:38 PM

STrek777 - I agree 100% with your sentiment. Careful though...lol, I believe the Chattahochee is the largest fault line in the eastern US. Viewpoint is beautiful and love the combination of all three buildings. I truly hope all 3 are built and that PTree is a string of highrises forming a 'wall'. The 'walls' around Central Park in NYC are one of the most stunning visuals in my mind and bring a smile to my face everytime I have the pleasure of being there. I'd love seeing the same here separating the eastern neighborhoods of downtown/midtown from the highrise district following the connector and PTree. It'd be a neat sight and create a long beautiful skyline.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 3:49 PM

jaypkatl, what is it that everyone wants Atlanta to be? I think you need to scale back your comments to what 'you' want it to be. Atlanta is a product of the time just as all cities are. It amazes me how many people want to compare Atlanta and all the sunbelt cities to the cities that developed pre-auto and pre-middle class America. If NY had developed essentially since 1950, I promise it would not be the NY we see today. If Atlanta was landlocked by a major body of water or cliffs or huge mountains, Atlanta wouldn't be the same eihter; however it's not so it hasn't had a reason to build up instead of out. Why do others just not get this very simple and basic fact of development?

It's funny that so many on the board rant and rave about suburbia and sprawl and all the negatives.....blah blah blah....however the overwhelming majority of Americans for the past 50 years have choosen that lifestyle and even moved in large percentages from the northern cities to live in the hated sprawl of all the southern US cities (east and west coasts). While that attitude might be changing somewhat now, it's still what the majority prefers in America. I happen to be one that prefers living in the city eventhough I grew up in the sprawl of Atlanta and have witnessed the city transform for 30 years to what it is today. So who is right and who is wrong? NEITHER! It's your preference and what you find to be important in YOUR life. Is it really that hard to grasp people. Cities are products of their time just as you are a product of the time and environment you were born into. Does that mean nonchanging? Hell no, but for almost 6 million people to have choosen to live in the metro Atlanta area in a little over 100 years....some one here must like what the city/area has to offer......

Honestly, I think in the past 5 years the city has changed so drastically in it's feeling and attitude that I'm not in love with Atlanta like I was. Maybe it's just a change in me as I grow older and my experiences change me; however, Atlanta just doesn't feel like Atlanta to me anymore. I hate to admit that because I thought I'd never consider moving to another metro area eventhough I've had the honor and privilege to travel to many 'great' cities. The Atlanta that's developing just seems foreign to me and eventhough it's now more lively at night it also seems sorry if this ruffles anyone because that's not the intent....northern to me. The charm of Atlanta is no longer unique but becoming just another big American city.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; Nov 9, 2007 at 4:01 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 10:07 PM
Former GTC Deity

From earlier today:

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 11:26 PM
Back on the road again

such a clear, detailed pic! Thanks MattSal!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive