HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
Just keep printing money...
That’s the theory. A sovereign power can’t default on debt. Worry about inflation later. Oxygen for the economy. Whatever happened to conservatism..

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 7:53 PM

https://twitter.com/ChrisDca/status/1123312996628013056

Pallister Government cutting funding to the Mantioba Centennial Centre.

By the time Pallister balances the budget, we'll have nothing left.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 8:07 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ance-1.5201081

Pallister government wants to privatize Manitoba Public Insurance, NDP says
CBC Manitoba
by Cameron MacLean

Manitoba's NDP say they have documents that prove the governing Progressive Conservatives are considering a scenario where Manitoba Public Insurance "no longer exists."
NDP Leader Wab Kinew says Premier Brian Pallister plans to privatize MPI "piece by piece" until private brokers own 100 per cent of all online transactions, leading to higher rates for customers.
"Brian Pallister has a secret plan to privatize Autopac, which would make you pay more for car insurance," Kinew said at a news conference on Friday...

Not a car owner or driver but I like the idea, or at least open it up to private like in BC or Alta.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 8:22 PM
BANNED

Manitoba lost 5200 jobs in June. guess the local news doesn't want to ruin the cons chances in the fall

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Not a car owner or driver but I like the idea, or at least open it up to private like in BC or Alta.
Since when is auto insurance private in BC?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
Manitoba lost 5200 jobs in June. guess the local news doesn't want to ruin the cons chances in the fall
...caused by losses in part-time employment.

Anyway, if this is such a big cover-up, why is the official opposition and their public sector union overlords spending the week focusing on imaginary privatization fearmongering?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 9:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Since when is auto insurance private in BC?
It's not. They have The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), the equivalent to our MPI.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
It's not. They have The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), the equivalent to our MPI.
Drivers in B.C. have to get their basic/mandatory coverage through ICBC but can get extra coverage from private companies.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 3:30 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Maybe this is just scare tactics by the failed NDP party of Manitoba to sway the vote to them. not gonna work my fiends.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 12:04 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Pallister set the date of provincial election to be September 10. Why?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 12:49 PM

Why not? Your party has a ton of money, the other parties have very little. You're still much more popular then the other parties. Why not secure 4 years instead of giving the opposition another year to prepare? It's a smart move on their part.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Pallister set the date of provincial election to be September 10. Why?
Unclear what you're asking why about. Do you mean why did he call an early election? Strategic is the likely reason. The reasons he have given are he didn't want to have an election during Manitobas 150th, and that he wanted Manitobans to go to the polls to give him a further mandate on the fiscal responsible government he's been running.

It couldn't be any later in this year due to the federal election.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:24 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Why not? Your party has a ton of money, the other parties have very little. You're still much more popular then the other parties. Why not secure 4 years instead of giving the opposition another year to prepare? It's a smart move on their part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Unclear what you're asking why about. Do you mean why did he call an early election? Strategic is the likely reason. The reasons he have given are he didn't want to have an election during Manitobas 150th, and that he wanted Manitobans to go to the polls to give him a further mandate on the fiscal responsible government he's been running.

It couldn't be any later in this year due to the federal election.
Yea I was wondering why this would be a strategic move. I simply found the timing strategic in nature when it’s happening a month before the federal election.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Yea I was wondering why this would be a strategic move. I simply found the timing strategic in nature when it’s happening a month before the federal election.
I wonder how this might impact voter turn-out in the Federal election? I'm sure there will be part of the electorate that doesn't vote federally because they feel they have "already voted". I also wonder if advance polling for the federal election may mix people up. Results may be unpredictable in Manitoba this year.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 2:05 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

It seems that the provincial conservatives have been in power for a decade. Is that right?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 2:08 PM

Quote:
It seems that the provincial conservatives have been in power for a decade. Is that right?
No... the PC party formed government in 2016. Prior to that NDP were in power since 1999.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I wonder how this might impact voter turn-out in the Federal election? I'm sure there will be part of the electorate that doesn't vote federally because they feel they have "already voted". I also wonder if advance polling for the federal election may mix people up. Results may be unpredictable in Manitoba this year.
I feel like the results are extremely predictable this year. Maybe PCs lose a few seats, but frankly the Greens seem to be the next most organized party. Their platform is clear, and IMO quite strong. Plus, Greens have been starting to do well in some other provinces too. [All that being said, I don't know if they'll win a seat, but should finish 2nd in quite a few ridings]

I think the NDP will get a few seats back, but recent scars they left are still too fresh, and they seem more focused on party politics than policies (even more so than past PC iterations) and a lot of people don't like Wab. While Dougald seems like the best leader Liberals have had in my lifetime, they still seem a little chaotic – their website is an embarrassment.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:05 PM

IMO election cycles should be set dates. Not strategic early calls like this. Even though the other parties should be prepared.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I feel like the results are extremely predictable this year. Maybe PCs lose a few seats, but frankly the Greens seem to be the next most organized party. Their platform is clear, and IMO quite strong. Plus, Greens have been starting to do well in some other provinces too. [All that being said, I don't know if they'll win a seat, but should finish 2nd in quite a few ridings]

I think the NDP will get a few seats back, but recent scars they left are still too fresh, and they seem more focused on party politics than policies (even more so than past PC iterations) and a lot of people don't like Wab. While Dougald seems like the best leader Liberals have had in my lifetime, they still seem a little chaotic – their website is an embarrassment.
I agree with your assessment. I really should have said the FEDERAL results may be unpredictable this year, because voting patterns may be disrupted by the provincial election.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I agree with your assessment. I really should have said the FEDERAL results may be unpredictable this year, because voting patterns may be disrupted by the provincial election.
Do you think in the event the PCs win the province that it will spur less PC voters and more other voters federally? I could see how it would instill a false sense of security for the winner and a sense of urgency for the others to represent their federal party.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan