HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 7:51 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

What province doesn't have angry politics?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 8:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
This is why I am so frustrated with politics in this province. We have a spineless mayor up against a bully for a premier. Great working conditions. And as a result, Winnipeg roads get worse and worse with no visions for LRT or any type of mass transit system that the city needs to be moving towards. No vision in this province whatsoever- just angry politics. It makes me so angry.
What kind of LRT do we need, you mean to be just like Calgary and Edmonton just because, ask Ottawa how their LRT is working out!

What exactly should the province do to come up with all this money for all of the cities grandiose schemes, you do know the province already spends $1 billion a year just on debt. servicing, and on money that should never have been borrowed at the extent that it was!

Basic economics should be required to be taught in all schools so that the spawn of Generation X and Y would have a little bit of clue because they sure as hell don't!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 5:50 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
This is why I am so frustrated with politics in this province. We have a spineless mayor up against a bully for a premier. Great working conditions. And as a result, Winnipeg roads get worse and worse with no visions for LRT or any type of mass transit system that the city needs to be moving towards. No vision in this province whatsoever- just angry politics. It makes me so angry.
province has have established a chain of comand either fallow it or go away atitude and its slow all there is to it

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
I'm seeing the numbers in my job as well. I deal a lot with immigration and inter-provincial migration in my health care sector and I'm seeing the outflux as well as my counterparts in other health care professions across the province.

It's not unusual given the transformation of the system occurring right now- I just don't think the implementation was well thought out at all and we're seeing health care providers fed up and leaving the province. Which should be concerning.
I think they are heading to BC which has an NDP government, and the top-performing economy in the country right now ... hmmmm.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
What kind of LRT do we need, you mean to be just like Calgary and Edmonton just because, ask Ottawa how their LRT is working out!

What exactly should the province do to come up with all this money for all of the cities grandiose schemes, you do know the province already spends $1 billion a year just on debt. servicing, and on money that should never have been borrowed at the extent that it was!

Basic economics should be required to be taught in all schools so that the spawn of Generation X and Y would have a little bit of clue because they sure as hell don't!
The LRT in Ottawa is nearing completion for the current leg. Ottawa is a city that knows how to work the federal and provincial system to maximize the resources available to get things done. Manitoba has a premier who is leaving billions of federal dollars on the table because he doesn't like Liberals, and he is also busy downloading his deficit wet dreams on to Winnipeg and the municipalities.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 7:00 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
The LRT in Ottawa is nearing completion for the current leg. Ottawa is a city that knows how to work the federal and provincial system to maximize the resources available to get things done. Manitoba has a premier who is leaving billions of federal dollars on the table because he doesn't like Liberals, and he is also busy downloading his deficit wet dreams on to Winnipeg and the municipalities.
Agreed. And to top it off, he still hasn't stemmed the bleeding to other provinces. We just lost another 1,948 people in the last quarter to interprovincial migration.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...018004-eng.htm

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 7:12 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Agreed. And to top it off, he still hasn't stemmed the bleeding to other provinces. We just lost another 1,948 people in the last quarter to interprovincial migration.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...018004-eng.htm
"He" can't stem anything. People do what they want, this was happening during the NDP years too and during Tory governments before that.

Too bad StatsCan doesn't go further with their anlysis and ask why.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post

Too bad StatsCan doesn't go further with their anlysis and ask why.
If they did, people might not be able to wring their hands and moan "what's wrong with US?"

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 11:03 PM

According to stats Canada, even B.C. had a net loss concerning interprovincial migration during the last quarter of 2018....looks like the only winners in that game were Alberta and Ont.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 4:52 PM
BANNED

1% GDP growth in 2018. Those conservatives are quite the economic geniuses

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 10:34 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
It's somebody else's fault! Like God, all the good things are thanks to them, and all the bad things are your own failing.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 7:18 AM

Anyone else hearing rumours the Conservatives will call an election for June? I sure as hell hope not. No reason for it since it has only been 3 years since the last one.

I don't believe they can call an election in the fall due to the federal election. Earliest should be spring of 2020 or fall of that year.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 12:44 PM

^ The rumours are rampant... the politically-involved people I know are convinced that it's a done deal with an election to be called imminently for late June/early July.

I mean whatever, it's Pallister's prerogative, but it is another example of how fixed election dates are a total joke.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Anyone else hearing rumours the Conservatives will call an election for June? I sure as hell hope not. No reason for it since it has only been 3 years since the last one.

I don't believe they can call an election in the fall due to the federal election. Earliest should be spring of 2020 or fall of that year.
Fall of 2020 wouldn't be them calling an election, that's when the fixed election date would be.

The PST cut this year was a clear indicator that the plan was to call an early election. Pallister is using Manitoba's 150th as a bit of an excuse as to why the election shouldn't occur next year.

Ofcourse it's strategic. NDP and Liberal parties in Manitoba haven't been able to fundraise a great deal and would be behind the 8 ball. Coupled with a relatively stronger provincial liberal party will split the left side of the vote.

As for timing I believe the federal election period kicks off mid-September so it would have to take place prior to that.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
That's not surprising, growth is pretty sluggish everywhere in Canada. Canada's GDP grew at 1.8% for 2018, Manitoba's by 1.3%. Most of the growth was in the first half of the year. If Q1 2019 GDP growth comes in as predicted, combined with the Q4 2018 annualized growth rate of 0.4%, it will confirm that Canada is in a per capita recession.

The United States continues to eat Canada for breakfast, with an annualized Q4 2018 growth rate of 2.6%. Whether it's growth, household debt, inward investment, wage growth (running at half of inflation) or the current account, most economic indicators show that Canada has serious economic problems. Not to worry, bathrooms in elementary schools are of greater concern.

On the bright side, after a 2.3% increase on February 1st and the levying of a carbon tax (plus GST on the tax, a tax on a tax) on April 1st, natural gas is only going up by 1.1% on May 1st. Strange, natural gas futures have declined by about 10% since this time last year on the NYMEX.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post

Interesting take considering most of Canada's gov't debt comes from the baby boomers living large from about '75 to '95. It has declined considerably since Gen X and Gen Y came along.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That's not surprising, growth is pretty sluggish everywhere in Canada. Canada's GDP grew at 1.8% for 2018, Manitoba's by 1.3%. Most of the growth was in the first half of the year. If Q1 2019 GDP growth comes in as predicted, combined with the Q4 2018 annualized growth rate of 0.4%, it will confirm that Canada is in a per capita recession.

The United States continues to eat Canada for breakfast, with an annualized Q4 2018 growth rate of 2.6%. Whether it's growth, household debt, inward investment, wage growth (running at half of inflation) or the current account, most economic indicators show that Canada has serious economic problems. Not to worry, bathrooms in elementary schools are of greater concern.

On the bright side, after a 2.3% increase on February 1st and the levying of a carbon tax (plus GST on the tax, a tax on a tax) on April 1st, natural gas is only going up by 1.1% on May 1st. Strange, natural gas futures have declined by about 10% since this time last year on the NYMEX.
Give the Yankees time. The house of cards will come tumbling down. Or is it Humpty Dumpty? Or Orange Dumpty? Either way.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 10:22 PM

Modern Monetary Theory is driving the U.S economy. It basically says that federal deficits don’t matter and should be encouraged to reach full employment. If and when inflation starts to show up you bring it under control by raising taxes. Basically started under Reagan. There is a pretty vigorous debate about whether the deficits are going to bite the Americans in the ass at some point. Not much sign of inflation so far though.

In Canada we take a more traditional approach where the federal deficit still seems to be an important political issue. My concern with that is the tendency is to offload deficits to the provinces. Provincial governments don’t control currencies so their debt is more problematic imo.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The rumours are rampant... the politically-involved people I know are convinced that it's a done deal with an election to be called imminently for late June/early July.

I mean whatever, it's Pallister's prerogative, but it is another example of how fixed election dates are a total joke.
It might have been earlier if not for the early flood forecast.

The scenario is this. Pallister gets re-elected in 2019. Retires halfway through the next mandate. Next PC leader gets 2 years to govern before the next election. Pallister's legacy is the reason for the early election. He wants to retire in 2021.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
Modern Monetary Theory is driving the U.S economy. It basically says that federal deficits don’t matter and should be encouraged to reach full employment. If and when inflation starts to show up you bring it under control by raising taxes. Basically started under Reagan. There is a pretty vigorous debate about whether the deficits are going to bite the Americans in the ass at some point. Not much sign of inflation so far though.

In Canada we take a more traditional approach where the federal deficit still seems to be an important political issue. My concern with that is the tendency is to offload deficits to the provinces. Provincial governments don’t control currencies so their debt is more problematic imo.
Just keep printing money...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan