HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 11:48 AM
New Yorker for life

The Brooklyn Paper

Sour notes from old piano factory

By Dana Rubinstein
The Brooklyn Paper

Halstead Property Development Marketing, LLC

A developer turning an old Rockwell Place piano factory into condos took a not-so-subtle swipe at his competition this week, calling the controversial Forte tower “more along the lines of a Manhattan-type skyscraper.”

Josh Landau, the developer of the so-called “Rockwell Place,” cast a far more favorable light on his development: turning the 97-year-old piano warehouse, between Fulton Street and Lafayette Avenue, into 37 luxury lofts.

“We fit in with the surrounding community,” said Landau. “Our building respects its historical context.”

The 12-story Rockwell — the piano factory’s six original floors plus six floors of new residential construction — will also house 3,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space. In contrast, the glass-walled Forte’s tower, on Fulton Street and Ashland Place, will top out at 30 stories, with 108 units inside.

Like the Clarett Group, which is developing Forte Condo, Landau is banking that the allure of the incipient BAM Cultural District will turn Fort Greene into the Upper West Side to Brooklyn’s Lincoln Center.

“Our acquisition of the property was strategic,” said Landau. “Our project is in the heart of that cultural district, which has a tremendous amount of public financing.”

Obviously, not everything we hear coming from Rockwell Place is about preserving the beauty of Fort Greene. Real-estate isn’t philanthropy. The goal is, of course, to keep those property values moving as high as the Forte tower, as Stephen Kliegerman, the Rockwell Place marketing whiz at Halstead Property, freely points out.

“Rockwell Place offers New Yorkers an amazing opportunity to live in an authentic pre-war loft, complete with modern-luxury finishes in a great neighborhood where property values are sure to rise,” Kliegerman said.

Rockwell Place units will go on the market by mid-April, but its sales office began fielding inquiries about the studios and one- and two-bedroom apartments on Monday. The units are priced between $445,000 and $899,000.

©2007 The Brooklyn Paper

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 12:19 PM

So he wants a Lincoln Center, but without all the Lincoln Center highrises?

Right. Competition indeed- the very blood the area needs. Every drop.

Funny that it took a highrise to get others moving on their derelict properties- but isn't that always the way?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 3:15 PM
Candy Jail

Anti-nimby: If you learn to argue without resorting to namecalling, putting words in others mouths, setting up straw men, resorting to irrelevant examples (I didn't respond to your statements about the Eiffel tower because this building and the Eiffel tower have nothing in common and the comparison falls flat on its face), misapplications of economics, a general misunderstanding of urban planning and insulting reductions of my arguments (that I was simply arguing that people live in cities; that, by this logic, highrise neighborhoods should never have developed; that this project will "bring death" to Fort Greene etc.- all of those statements of yours hinged on misunderstanding my argument and then applying it to an extreme), then maybe someday I'll listen to what you have to say.
I admit that, at this stage, I am fairly set against the construction of towers over a certain height in neighborhoods where they clasically have not been built. Fort Greene's contingency to downtown Brooklyn does leave me open on this issue, I admit, but its status as a neighborhood that, while not great, is far from failing, leads me to think that renewal of this kind is perpetrated by money hungry developers who have no concern for the people who already live in and around the areas that they wish to develop.
By the way, the book is, in fact titled The Death and Life of Great American Cities.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackledspoon View Post
Anti-nimby: If you learn to argue without resorting to namecalling
I said you were a NIMBY. Yeah, that is really personal. I am a bad, bad person.

Aww, I didn't know that was going to hurt your feelings so much.

Quote:
putting words in others mouths, setting up straw men, resorting to irrelevant examples (I didn't respond to your statements about the Eiffel tower because this building and the Eiffel tower have nothing in common and the comparison falls flat on its face),
I did none of these. I could easily say the same about you.

If you couldn't see that the Eiffel tower and this tower had some things in common, then you shouldn't be on this forum.

If according to you, if anyone should use any example other than the very building in question is invalid, then why bother talking about anything at all?

Fact is, we have to use similar examples to make a point. Need I remind you just did that yourself by bringing up Greenwich Village and Hell's Kitchen? (As if these had anymore in common with Fort Greene)

Quote:
misapplications of economics, a general misunderstanding of urban planning and insulting reductions of my arguments (that I was simply arguing that people live in cities; that, by this logic, highrise neighborhoods should never have developed; that this project will "bring death" to Fort Greene etc.- all of those statements of yours hinged on misunderstanding my argument and then applying it to an extreme), then maybe someday I'll listen to what you have to say.
I admit that, at this stage, I am fairly set against the construction of towers over a certain height in neighborhoods where they clasically have not been built. Fort Greene's contingency to downtown Brooklyn does leave me open on this issue, I admit, but its status as a neighborhood that, while not great, is far from failing, leads me to think that renewal of this kind is perpetrated by money hungry developers who have no concern for the people who already live in and around the areas that they wish to develop.
By the way, the book is, in fact titled The Death and Life of Great American Cities.
I'm going to save other forumers from having to endure any more of your nonsense and not even respond to each line by line.

I'm just going to say one thing. For all that nonsense you have said so far (and there is a bunch), it basically boils down to one thing: your irrational fear/hatred of seeing a taller building rub up against smaller ones.

Realize this is just your own fear, it doesn't affect other people the same way. Your fears and beliefs as I have proven point by point are totally unfounded and unjustified.

For every instance you can name that a tower is detrimental to a lowrise neighborhood, I can find two others that are not.

What you don't realize is that there's a lot more to it than just the height of a building and it's surrounding. Factors such as how it meets the ground, the way it looks and so on.

So you see, you are just ignorant but don't realize it. Now, unless you have anything more productive to add other than more of your unsubstantiated psycho fear disorder, please save us all the pain of having to hear more of your nonsense.

Last edited by antinimby; Mar 24, 2007 at 1:25 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 1:25 AM

to live in Brooklyn and pay 600k for 1bd is too much.
im sorry but i rather buy something in manhattan

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 2:34 AM

Although I'd rather see a Meier skyscraper on the site rather than this bland, non descript building I think it's height looks good with the back drop of the Brooklyn skyline.
Although Ft. Greene is a mostly lowrise neighborhood this does nothing to destroy the character of Brooklyn or Ft. Greene..... It's not like they're building it on Hicks Street in the Heights. Look at the surrounding dumpy, urban blighted buildings.....at least this doesn't look like something built in communist Russia.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 3:27 AM

To be honest the tower is quite slender and doesn't seem imposing. I kinda see what people in Brooklyn fear is the neighbourhood becoming a bunch of austere towers and skyscraper canyons. You could build really liveable, dense and vibrant communities with skyscrapers - just look at what Vancouver is doing.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAtlanta View Post
to live in Brooklyn and pay 600k for 1bd is too much.
im sorry but i rather buy something in manhattan
mmm and buy what? A studio?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 7:54 PM
Candy Jail

I'm not dealing with anitNimby's bullshit style of argument anymore (even in responding to my critique of your argument, you relied on the same fallacies and low-blow tactics as you did in formulating your original argument), but I would like to make one final statement about this tower:
My concern is not so much founded on the individual tower as what it signifies and what it could easily lead to. Developers are notoriously unconcerned with the human element and pander to the crowds that are likely to make them the most money. This tower, individually, does stave off village-style gentrification in Fort Greene by providing holdover for the yuppies who are moving in, but I fear that other developers will see the financial success of this tower and emulate it by building more large towers- a phenomenon that has been occuring in many gentrifying areas over the past decade. So long as these towers are going up on formerly abandoned/severley blighted lots, then they represent an improvement, in strictest terms, but as has historically been the case, demand for luxury condominiums in New York will far outstrip the supply of empty lots to be built upon and landlords will begin raising rents, evicting tenants and doing whatever possibly to cut a deal and make a buck. I actually believe that this tower is designed to stimulate just that sort of growth. It's an opinion that really can't be verified, but one that many people share and that should not be dismissed or reduced to some illogical fear of development or tall towers. My fear of this building has little to do with design (its blandness offends me) and more to do with the social and economic implications of a luxury condominum development in a clasically low rise, lower-middle class neighborhood. If it were an office, governmental or hotel building, I would feel differently. I do understand that it can meet the ground in a way that is amenable to the current streetscape and that a thirty story tower is, in and of itself, not imposing, but the social implications of a condo tower in which prices for a one bedroom apartment start at $600k going up in a clasically working class neighborhood are pretty huge.
I realize that developers, in a capitalist system, have the most to gain by catering to the rich and expecting them to do otherwise of their own accord would be, within our economic system, irrational. However, the role of the government is to protect its people and I strongly believe that the government of New York City is capable of striking a compromise and regulating development so that it occurs with humanity (all of it- not just the richest 10%) in mind.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 9:06 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I said you were a NIMBY. Yeah, that is really personal. I am a bad, bad person.

Aww, I didn't know that was going to hurt your feelings so much.

I did none of these. I could easily say the same about you.

If you couldn't see that the Eiffel tower and this tower had some things in common, then you shouldn't be on this forum.

If according to you, if anyone should use any example other than the very building in question is invalid, then why bother talking about anything at all?

Fact is, we have to use similar examples to make a point. Need I remind you just did that yourself by bringing up Greenwich Village and Hell's Kitchen? (As if these had anymore in common with Fort Greene)

I'm going to save other forumers from having to endure any more of your nonsense and not even respond to each line by line.

I'm just going to say one thing. For all that nonsense you have said so far (and there is a bunch), it basically boils down to one thing: your irrational fear/hatred of seeing a taller building rub up against smaller ones.

Realize this is just your own fear, it doesn't affect other people the same way. Your fears and beliefs as I have proven point by point are totally unfounded and unjustified.

For every instance you can name that a tower is detrimental to a lowrise neighborhood, I can find two others that are not.

What you don't realize is that there's a lot more to it than just the height of a building and it's surrounding. Factors such as how it meets the ground, the way it looks and so on.

So you see, you are just ignorant but don't realize it. Now, unless you have anything more productive to add other than more of your unsubstantiated psycho fear disorder, please save us all the pain of having to hear more of your nonsense.
This will be the last time I warn you to stop trolling.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
mmm and buy what? A studio?
Even that would be tough.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 12:00 AM

flint, I don't see how anyone can say my posts both here and elsewhere can be considered trolling.

I never used foul language and my posts in this thread for the most part were in response to tackledspoon. Go back to the first page and see who initiated the argument.

As for tacklespoon, I'm not going to stoop down to his bullshit style argument. Everytime his claims are refuted, he comes up with some excuse like my twisting of his words or that my argument was BS.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 12:38 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

You can play it innocent all you want. I've warned you for the last time. Behave yourself.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 1:00 AM

I'm not trying to play innocent. I was really unaware that ad hominem statements were considered trolling.

I do now realize that and I apologize but I don't recall having ever been warned before so I am puzzled by your tone.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 1:01 AM

Quote:
I'm not dealing with anitNimby's bullshit style of argument anymore (even in responding to my critique of your argument, you relied on the same fallacies and low-blow tactics as you did in formulating your original argument), but I would like to make one final statement about this tower:
My concern is not so much founded on the individual tower as what it signifies and what it could easily lead to. Developers are notoriously unconcerned with the human element and pander to the crowds that are likely to make them the most money. This tower, individually, does stave off village-style gentrification in Fort Greene by providing holdover for the yuppies who are moving in, but I fear that other developers will see the financial success of this tower and emulate it by building more large towers- a phenomenon that has been occuring in many gentrifying areas over the past decade. So long as these towers are going up on formerly abandoned/severley blighted lots, then they represent an improvement, in strictest terms, but as has historically been the case, demand for luxury condominiums in New York will far outstrip the supply of empty lots to be built upon and landlords will begin raising rents, evicting tenants and doing whatever possibly to cut a deal and make a buck. I actually believe that this tower is designed to stimulate just that sort of growth. It's an opinion that really can't be verified, but one that many people share and that should not be dismissed or reduced to some illogical fear of development or tall towers. My fear of this building has little to do with design (its blandness offends me) and more to do with the social and economic implications of a luxury condominum development in a clasically low rise, lower-middle class neighborhood. If it were an office, governmental or hotel building, I would feel differently. I do understand that it can meet the ground in a way that is amenable to the current streetscape and that a thirty story tower is, in and of itself, not imposing, but the social implications of a condo tower in which prices for a one bedroom apartment start at $600k going up in a clasically working class neighborhood are pretty huge.
I realize that developers, in a capitalist system, have the most to gain by catering to the rich and expecting them to do otherwise of their own accord would be, within our economic system, irrational. However, the role of the government is to protect its people and I strongly believe that the government of New York City is capable of striking a compromise and regulating development so that it occurs with humanity (all of it- not just the richest 10%) in mind.

Your argument is based on several false assumptions

1)Building a luxury condo building only benefits those who have the current means to buy into the building
2)Creating a building boom sparks a upward move in pricing resulting in building owners have more reward for "selling out" to developers.
3)Policies toward housing in NYC have been beneficial to the working class communities.

1)While the only people to directly benefit from luxury housing being build is those who want to buy the housing, every aspect of the market is benefited by additional supply coming online to fill the need. Building a luxury building with say 2k sq ft condos will cause prices in the 2k sq feet market to come down relative to where they would have been if that supply had not been created (simple economics, if that point isnt agreed on then this post is useless), but what many miss is that it means that people who had been in the 1k sq ft market can now afford to move up to the 2k sq ft market and this thus creates downward movement on pricing in that market, and so on and so on, until you reach the very bottom. Given, this may not be the short term best way to get working class people into affordable housing, it does in the long term present very favorable results for everyone. Also this means that more people, will, long term, have more access to better accommodations.

2)In the short term when an area is seeing a great resurgence, it will spark up prices in all the different cost sectors of the market. But, with this spark in prices comes a spark in development. This development thus lowers the price off all housing in the market relative to where it would have been if the housing had been restricted from construction. It is not construction that creates an increase in prices, its an increase in prices that create construction. (though there are some instances (such as a warehouse district revitalization), where both are true at the same time, but that is the exception, not the rule, and has not to do with economics but cultural/social reasons.)

3)The restrict housing policy of NY over the last hundred years has produced some of the priciest housing in the nation. Because NYC is such a favorable place to live there is a great increase in demand to live there, and thus supply must be able to grow with demand, or prices will force the demand to fall. If NYC allowed for more urban, dense construction, like the market is demanding, then prices would be kept in check by the constant supply of new housing.

Personally I believe, if the right policies are taken by the city from here on out, by allowing very dense construction in D-town Brooklyn, practically unlimited density construction in Manhattan, and mid rise to small high rise towards everywhere else, NYC could become affordable to most all possible residents, have a population over over 12 Million, and become the best city in the developed world for a person of "average" wealth. In this scenario the current home owners would not gain much, but those who cannot currently afford to buy or even rent in the city will benefit beyond imagination. For example a single mom teacher will be able to buy 3 bedroom condo, in most all parts of town, without chunking over more than 1/3rd of her pay check to a mortgage.

Last edited by austin356; Mar 25, 2007 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 5:30 AM
Candy Jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin356 View Post
Your argument is based on several false assumptions

1)Building a luxury condo building only benefits those who have the current means to buy into the building
2)Creating a building boom sparks a upward move in pricing resulting in building owners have more reward for "selling out" to developers.
3)Policies toward housing in NYC have been beneficial to the working class communities.

1)While the only people to directly benefit from luxury housing being build is those who want to buy the housing, every aspect of the market is benefited by additional supply coming online to fill the need. Building a luxury building with say 2k sq ft condos will cause prices in the 2k sq feet market to come down relative to where they would have been if that supply had not been created (simple economics, if that point isnt agreed on then this post is useless), but what many miss is that it means that people who had been in the 1k sq ft market can now afford to move up to the 2k sq ft market and this thus creates downward movement on pricing in that market, and so on and so on, until you reach the very bottom. Given, this may not be the short term best way to get working class people into affordable housing, it does in the long term present very favorable results for everyone. Also this means that more people, will, long term, have more access to better accommodations.

2)In the short term when an area is seeing a great resurgence, it will spark up prices in all the different cost sectors of the market. But, with this spark in prices comes a spark in development. This development thus lowers the price off all housing in the market relative to where it would have been if the housing had been restricted from construction. It is not construction that creates an increase in prices, its an increase in prices that create construction. (though there are some instances (such as a warehouse district revitalization), where both are true at the same time, but that is the exception, not the rule, and has not to do with economics but cultural/social reasons.)

3)The restrict housing policy of NY over the last hundred years has produced some of the priciest housing in the nation. Because NYC is such a favorable place to live there is a great increase in demand to live there, and thus supply must be able to grow with demand, or prices will force the demand to fall. If NYC allowed for more urban, dense construction, like the market is demanding, then prices would be kept in check by the constant supply of new housing.

Personally I believe, if the right policies are taken by the city from here on out, by allowing very dense construction in D-town Brooklyn, practically unlimited density construction in Manhattan, and mid rise to small high rise towards everywhere else, NYC could become affordable to most all possible residents, have a population over over 12 Million, and become the best city in the developed world for a person of "average" wealth. In this scenario the current home owners would not gain much, but those who cannot currently afford to buy or even rent in the city will benefit beyond imagination. For example a single mom teacher will be able to buy 3 bedroom condo, in most all parts of town, without chunking over more than 1/3rd of her pay check to a mortgage.
I really need to take an economics class and learn a bit about these things. See, that makes sense to me. I'm still mistrusting of developers and their motives and not entirely convinced that a development like this cannot create demand where it didn't previously exist or that there aren't more direct routes to affordable housing, but the things you said, particularly the first one do make a lot of sense.

I don't know much about classic regulation of development in New York, but have they ever tried incentive programs in order to try to get developers to build affordable housing?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 6:40 AM

Quote:
I really need to take an economics class and learn a bit about these things. See, that makes sense to me. I'm still mistrusting of developers and their motives and not entirely convinced that a development like this cannot create demand where it didn't previously exist or that there aren't more direct routes to affordable housing, but the things you said, particularly the first one do make a lot of sense.

I don't know much about classic regulation of development in New York, but have they ever tried incentive programs in order to try to get developers to build affordable housing?

You do not need to be convinced that it cannot because it can. But that being said that is just one part of a bigger picture. And I think you would agree that the more a area develops the less a single project or even group of project has on the desirability of an area. For example, a new luxury building in Brooklyn will have a much greater affect on the desirability of the area it is in compared to a new building across the river where it would have little to no effect.

There are more direct routes. For example, in Atlanta if a developer wants to build above the density level, he/she can if they provide something like 10% of the units as affordable for typical public service employees. This is the easiest way for the city to Directly get affordable housing built, with benefit for both the developer (get extra density of luxury units) and city (gets a certain % reserved for "affordable"). Personally I do not know if this is used in NYC or if so to what extent. Maybe it is, I dont know, but there are many direct options like that, that can work in conjunction to the Indirect market options I posted about earlier.

I reread my earlier post, and I kinda made it into a "either or" situation which it is not when it comes down to the local level. There are so many variables and the reality is much more blurry. For example the closer down you get in city, borough, neighborhood; the more important the social/cultural (ex. rich grouping w/ rich) become, but when one looks at a national level, those things are extremely insignificant and it is mostly economics. So it really is not a "either or" on the local or even city level but a combination of social/cultural (gentrification) variables and plain economics, each to an extent that is not measurable and mostly subjective.

Last edited by austin356; Mar 25, 2007 at 6:51 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 11:56 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy Wen View Post
30 floors, 108 units, FXFOWLE architects.
Ft. Greene (edge of DT) Brooklyn on Fulton St. @ Ashland Pl.
http://www.fortecondo.com

03/22/07 (topped out)

I can't read through all the bs posted here, but I love the pretty pictures so much, its worth another look.
How I do love Brooklyn, and not just because I was born there (though reason enough).
So cool, so urban, so NY...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 7:19 AM
Landmark Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
flint, I don't see how anyone can say my posts both here and elsewhere can be considered trolling.

I never used foul language and my posts in this thread for the most part were in response to tackledspoon. Go back to the first page and see who initiated the argument.

As for tacklespoon, I'm not going to stoop down to his bullshit style argument. Everytime his claims are refuted, he comes up with some excuse like my twisting of his words or that my argument was BS.
Antinimby check your PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 10:01 PM

Got it Sternyc. Thanks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive