HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:31 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emprise du Lion View Post
4.5 hours. So basically driving if there's light traffic.
It becomes competitive when you consider the fact that you can drink on Amtrak. Always a plus to arrive sauced in St. Louis for a Hawks-Blues game, as opposed to tired and stressed out from driving all day

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
4.5 hours with current fares? That's pretty competitive to drive when you have to consider parking rates
I would assume that the fares are staying the same, or at least comparable. I'm not certain though.

I'm also not certain if the speed increase only applies to the Lincoln Service trains or the Texas Eagle trains as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
however, for those of us driving in to chicago on a friday night, this has never happened ever. 5.5-6 hours to logan square from west st. louis seems like it was pretty normal when i used to make that drive a lot. 7 hours wasn't entirely beyond the pale. leaving chicago on a sunday, yes.
It would depend where you're coming from and going to. I have a lot of relatives in the Metro East, and earlier this month I went from Belleville to Lakeview in Chicago in about 5 hours. I made it to the city just in time for rush hour too since I didn't leave until about noon.

I could easily see it taking 5.5 or longer depending on where in STL you're coming from though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
It becomes competitive when you consider the fact that you can drink on Amtrak. Always a plus to arrive sauced in St. Louis for a Hawks-Blues game, as opposed to tired and stressed out from driving all day
You should see the train for Mardi Gras in St. Louis if you want to see sauced. The train down is a drunk mess, and the train backup is a hungover one.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 2:46 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

just saw an outbound carl sandburg route train with a brand new locomotive but the old cars just outside of chicago. so that's...something.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emprise du Lion View Post
I would assume that the fares are staying the same, or at least comparable. I'm not certain though.

I'm also not certain if the speed increase only applies to the Lincoln Service trains or the Texas Eagle trains as well.

It would depend where you're coming from and going to. I have a lot of relatives in the Metro East, and earlier this month I went from Belleville to Lakeview in Chicago in about 5 hours. I made it to the city just in time for rush hour too since I didn't leave until about noon.

I could easily see it taking 5.5 or longer depending on where in STL you're coming from though.
going across the river and then that slowwwwww creaky turn north over east st. louis on 100 year old trestles is pretty time consuming. some people drive to alton and take it from there, where they have upgraded the station/facilities. in fact next time i take the train to chicago i'll probably do that. i have in the past parked in a massive light rail station garage with long term parking in inner st. louis county where i live, though, and have taken lightrail to the downtown station.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 3:49 PM

WHOOPS

Rochelle rail-car plant loses $352 million Amtrak contract to California

By Samantha Bomkamp•Contact Reporter
Chicago Tribune

November 14, 2017, 3:00 PM

A Japanese rail-car maker with a manufacturing plant in Rochelle has lost a lucrative contract to build high-speed Amtrak passenger trains after years of safety problems, technical failures and layoffs.

Nippon Sharyo lost the contract from the California Department of Transportation, originally valued at $352 million, to Sumitomo Corporation of Americas and Siemens, the department said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...115-story.html

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 7:24 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
just saw an outbound carl sandburg route train with a brand new locomotive but the old cars just outside of chicago. so that's...something.
The new cars were supposed to arrive at the same time, but the manufacturer abandoned the project after years of failures and setbacks. The contract was re-assigned to Siemens, same manufacturer as the locomotive, so at least they'll coordinate nicely as a matching set. But the cars still won't be ready for a few more years.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:42 PM

^ It will be nice to see these come out of the Siemens plant which is just 20 minutes from my front door (I'll try and take some pics however the factory fence is quite high and maybe I could talk the guard into allowing me some close-in shots).

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:19 PM

Question Any Updates on Public Transit Expansions in the Works

I work for a company that does a lot of industrial and office developments outside of Chicago. Curious if there were any updates since that last post?

Broker at VVCO

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest