HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 6:32 PM

With the lakes being at or near record highs is there anything that can be done to better control water levels? Is the Seaway and Chicago River the only two outlets? Would releasing more water via those two outlets even have an impact, given the size of the lakes?

The Army Corps of Engineers must have some sort of plan if the lakes continue to rise.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 9:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
With the lakes being at or near record highs is there anything that can be done to better control water levels? Is the Seaway and Chicago River the only two outlets? Would releasing more water via those two outlets even have an impact, given the size of the lakes?

The Army Corps of Engineers must have some sort of plan if the lakes continue to rise.
The lake levels ebb and flow. So global warming not only increases the lake levels it decreased them too. Lose lose situation.

Just Let's not dredge the St. Clair river again.

https://www.twincities.com/2007/08/1...s-report-says/

Dredging causes huge Great Lakes water loss, report says

By Pioneer Press | news@pioneerpress.com
PUBLISHED: August 14, 2007 at 4:49 pm | UPDATED: November 14, 2015 at 7:47 am

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich.—Erosion caused by dredging and other human activities on the St. Clair River is causing Lakes Huron and Michigan to lose 2.5 billion gallons of water daily, says a private Canadian study released Tuesday.

Like a bathtub drain, the artificially deepened river is funneling vast amounts of water into Lake Erie, where it flows east to Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River before eventually being lost to the Atlantic Ocean, the study says.

Sponsored by the Georgian Bay Association, the report acknowledges that drought, evaporation and other factors have contributed to a steep dropoff in water levels on the three upper Great Lakes—Huron, Michigan and Superior—since the late 1990s. Huron and Michigan, considered hydrologically the same lake, are 21 inches below normal and Superior could hit a record low this fall.

“But the erosion in the St. Clair River stands out among these problems as a man-made issue that can be corrected fairly easily and within a relatively short timetable,” the report says.

It suggests covering the eroding areas with rock and installing gates to regulate water flow southward from Lake Huron.

U.S. officials said they were conducting a five-year study that would recommend what to do. The Canadian group and environmentalists in both nations said waiting that long would severely damage wetlands, fish habitat, water quality and Great Lakes cargo shipping.

It said dredging, mostly during the 1960s, and other commercial projects on the river’s northern end had caused an 845-million-gallon outflow daily from Lake Huron.

But findings since then show the volume being lost is three times as much—even topping the 2.1 billion gallons pulled from Lake Michigan each day to supply Chicago’s municipal system, said Bill Bialkowski, an engineer who conducted the research.

“We’re seeing drastic, sustained decline in the Michigan-Huron system at the same time that Lake Erie is rising,” Bialkowski said.

... The effects of dredging, gravel mining, shoreline alteration and other activities in the St. Clair River...

The commission has long known that dredging in the St. Clair—and in the Detroit River farther downstream—was affecting water levels in Huron-Michigan, Bevacqua said. But it’s unclear how big a difference they have made, he said.

Great Lakes levels have fluctuated on roughly 30-year cycles at least since the mid-1800s.
T

.., said massive water losses he had documented were “indicative of water loss independent of naturally occurring fluctuations or those due to global warming. Research is showing us that this is a persistent, unpredecented water loss.”

The Lake Huron-Michigan water level plummeted 3 feet between 1999 and 2001. Hot, dry weather—which reduced winter ice cover and boosted evaporation—and erosion on the St. Clair River are probably both to blame, said Roger Gauthier, a hydrologist with the Great Lakes Commission.
“You’ve had climate change plus a change in the outlet, a double whammy,” he said.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 7:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

so with One Chicago officially U/C, chicago has now built as many 800+ footers in the 21st century (9) as it did in the 20th century (9).

here's a diagram of the timeline:

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 8:51 PM

I came upon an interesting bit of Chicago history as I do some personal research into my family's history here. I thought some might find it interesting considering a recent discussion in the Economic Development thread about how Chicago is perceived nationally/internationally and how it hampers us.

This is a city directory first published in 1844, as Chicago was beginning it's decades long run as the fastest-growing city on the planet. The preface lays out the reasons for creating such a directory, echoing the sentiments of many posters here 175 years later. Fascinating to see what we might call "second-city syndrome" has been a real matter of concern since the city's birth:

Quote:
While the most strenuous exertions have been made, in other places, by misrepresentation and downright falsehood in regard to our circumstances and condition, to induce emigration to stop short or to pass by us, and to divert capital and enterprise to other and foreign channels; very little or nothing has been on our part to remedy the evil, and disabuse the public mind abroad, of the false impressions thus engendered. Relying upon the reality which the experience of every day presents us of our condition… we have been comparatively indifferent in regard to the opinion of others and blind to the effect of that opinion upon our own interest.
https://books.google.com/books?id=2f...page&q&f=false

I recommend reading the whole preface and the Historical Sketch section for a cool firsthand look at the city's beginnings.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 4:21 PM
BANNED

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...near-city-hall

May 31, 2019 11:19 PM |updated 12 hours ago

Don Wilson plans 307-room hotel near City Hall

After building hotels in the Gold Coast, Streeterville and Bucktown, Chicago trader and developer Don Wilson plans another one in the Loop, just a block west of City Hall.

Wilson’s real estate company, Convexity Properties, is seeking the city’s approval for a 13-story, 307-room hotel on an unused parking lot at 180 W. Randolph St., across the street from the Hotel Allegro, according to an email downtown Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) sent to constituents today. It would be the fourth Chicago hotel developed by Convexity, which completed its last project, the Viceroy in the Gold Coast, in 2017.

The email didn’t say whether a lodging chain would run the hotel or whether it would operate as an independent. Convexity executive David Nelson wrote in a brief email that the firm aims to begin construction in the first or second quarter of 2020.

The developer is forward with its plans amid a strong, but increasingly crowded, downtown hotel market. Downtown hoteliers had their best year since the recession in 2018, but 2,000 more rooms are set to open this year, which will make it harder for them to raise room rates and keep their hotels full.

Convexity would build the hotel on a small site, about 10,800 square feet, acquired for nearly $8 million in 2016 by Quadrum Global, which has offices in New York and Miami.

“Assuming we can receive approvals Convexity would purchase the site from the current owners and develop the hotel,”

Last edited by bnk; Jun 2, 2019 at 12:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 4:24 PM
BANNED

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...r-pending-bill

Greg Hinz On Politics

May 31, 2019 06:48 PM |updated 16 hours ago

State could pay South Loop developer $5.1 billion under pending bill

Illinois could be on the hook for billions if a provision aimed at speeding up construction of a megaproject near Soldier Field is approved this weekend by lawmakers.

A rendering of the proposed One Central project.

The state of Illinois potentially will be on the hook for more than $5 billion in equity and financing costs if a provision to speed construction of a megaproject near Soldier Field is approved by the General Assembly in this weekend’s extended spring session.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 4:52 PM
The City

^ This needs to happen, like, never...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 10:02 PM

Do I want to see this project come to fruition with several supertalls further extending the skyline south? Yes

Do I want to Illinois to have any financial stake in this right now? Hell no!
No way there is this much demand for new construction.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 2:47 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
so with One Chicago officially U/C, chicago has now built as many 800+ footers in the 21st century (9) as it did in the 20th century (9).

here's a diagram of the timeline:

There were really five periods of big building growth, the last of which we're in the middle of.

1969-1976 - 5 buildings
1989-1990 - 4 buildings
2000 - 1 building
2009-2010 - 3 buildings
2018-present - 5 buildings (so far)

So if we build just one more 800-footer before this cluster ends, it'll be the most productive big building boom in city history. With, I believe, 5 fairly solid proposals over 800 feet still on the drawing board (and two of those definitely happening, just a question of how soon) and who knows what may be lingering just off screen, it could definitely happen.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 11:16 AM

considering NYC has had like 10 plus buildings over 1000ft built in the last 8 years or so this should of been a much more prevalent boom for Chicago despite being fairly active relative to historical data...if you look at the building booms that happen in Chicago they always coincide with similar building booms in NYC (and probably on a national level as well). I just believe we have underperformed with missed opportunities at waterview tower and the Keller spire proposal.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 12:19 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
considering NYC has had like 10 plus buildings over 1000ft built in the last 8 years or so this should of been a much more prevalent boom for Chicago despite being fairly active relative to historical data...if you look at the building booms that happen in Chicago they always coincide with similar building booms in NYC (and probably on a national level as well). I just believe we have underperformed with missed opportunities at waterview tower and the Keller spire proposal.
I won't deny several major missed opportunities, but any comparisons to NYC are pretty much ridiculous. The market there is a completely different animal, especially when it comes to the skinny towers being built. NYC certainly has seen many super thin, relatively low total square foot towers being built, but Chicago's tallest have pretty much been quite large in terms of overall square footage.

At any rate, let's be happy with the amazing changes in this city's skyline over the last number of years. It's truly quite remarkable!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
I won't deny several major missed opportunities, but any comparisons to NYC are pretty much ridiculous. The market there is a completely different animal, especially when it comes to the skinny towers being built. NYC certainly has seen many super thin, relatively low total square foot towers being built, but Chicago's tallest have pretty much been quite large in terms of overall square footage.

At any rate, let's be happy with the amazing changes in this city's skyline over the last number of years. It's truly quite remarkable!

Aaron (Glowrock)
I'm only comparing to NYC because actually if you look at the building booms in 80's , 90's and early 2000's that Chicago had there was a much closer relative comparison to NYC... normally NYC was doing double or close to that of what chicago did... if Chicago had 10 building over 500ft at any single time under construction NYC had 20 or 25... now that ratio is like 3 or 4 times which is why i made the statement of either Chicago under-performing (or NYC just ridiculously on fire )

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 6:06 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
I'm only comparing to NYC because actually if you look at the building booms in 80's , 90's and early 2000's that Chicago had there was a much closer relative comparison to NYC... normally NYC was doing double or close to that of what chicago did... if Chicago had 10 building over 500ft at any single time under construction NYC had 20 or 25... now that ratio is like 3 or 4 times which is why i made the statement of either Chicago under-performing (or NYC just ridiculously on fire )
I’m sure Amsterdam or Venice has a much bigger market for houseboats than Chicago, too. The NYC “pencil tower” is a building type that only makes sense for the economic and physical conditions of NYC. Of course we are not going to have any over here.

Even London or Dubai doesn’t have them, despite having a huge pool of global-elite buyers, because London won’t permit buildings that tall and Dubai doesn’t have any space constraints forcing tall buildings to be thin.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...r-pending-bill

Greg Hinz On Politics

May 31, 2019 06:48 PM |updated 16 hours ago

State could pay South Loop developer $5.1 billion under pending bill

Illinois could be on the hook for billions if a provision aimed at speeding up construction of a megaproject near Soldier Field is approved this weekend by lawmakers.

Looks like this was jammed through via the BIMP bill which could be approved by the Senate this afternoon.

I like others am skeptical of this deal. They are doing a lot of overselling with this proposal. I get that they are going through the GA to get financial support for a mass transit hub but I'd rather see these projects develop organically without the need of passing legislation. If there is a need/demand for this project then it should succeed through private funding alone.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 2:54 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

This probably isn't news to anyone else, but I just today realized the extent that Chinatown has spread along Archer Ave when I took the 62 down to Tio Luis Tacos for lunch today (>90% of the passengers between Chinatown and ~Damen were Asian).

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 3:43 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
(or NYC just ridiculously on fire )
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

The only thing surprising about NYC''s supertall boom is that it didn't happen decades ago. Compared to chicago, new York has always been much bigger with a much bigger economy and much higher land values for prime real estate.

The fact that Chicago's skyline could even hang with new york's, height-wise, back in the 90s is actually what I find odd. New York has now shifted into overdrive, and any chicago-philes pining for the windy city's skyline to one day be able to hang with new York's skyline, height-wise, are just going to have to find a way to get over it. It ain't happening.

That said, Chicago still occupies a very solid #2 position in the US when it comes to very tall buildings built in the recent past.

Buildings over 800' built so far this century (including U/C):

New York - 32
Chicago - 9
San fran - 3
Philly - 2
Miami - 2
Los Angeles -1
Detroit - 1
Seattle - 1
Oklahoma city - 1

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 3, 2019 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 3:37 PM

^^^ And that's just fine, Chicago has never really held a candle to the sheer volume of highrises going up in New York (or even somewhere like Hong Kong). For us it's always been a quality over quantity thing, sure HK might have many times the number of highrises than Chicago, but they are all concrete boxes with no character. Even a friend of mine from NYC who loves trying to poke at Chicago to agitate me admitted "all the buildings are so much more interesting here" the other day. And, compared to a lot of places, that's true. There are very few places on earth with the combination of variety and quality that Chicago has. I'll take one Vista over 100 pencil towers with derivative takes on an ultra skinny JHC any day.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animositisomina View Post
Looks like this was jammed through via the BIMP bill which could be approved by the Senate this afternoon.

I like others am skeptical of this deal. They are doing a lot of overselling with this proposal. I get that they are going through the GA to get financial support for a mass transit hub but I'd rather see these projects develop organically without the need of passing legislation. If there is a need/demand for this project then it should succeed through private funding alone.
Yea, and I don't see how a giant metra station with an indoor mall is going to work here. Sure, if this was central Paris and commuter trains ran every 7 minutes like Paris and are used like a heavy transit line then maybe. Do they not know about Block 37? That was in the heart of the loop, and was empty when it opened. Why do they think a giant indoor mall will work here, it seems really unnecessary. At most they could build a nice new metra stop. What is the current ridership at the 18th street station?

I sure don't want the state to have to chip in $5 billion when we already have several better megaplans in place, in better locations that don't need state funding. Yea, if we were some fast growing sunbelt state with a budget surplus why not, but not when we are billions in debt for the pension black hole.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Yea, and I don't see how a giant metra station with an indoor mall is going to work here. Sure, if this was central Paris and commuter trains ran every 7 minutes like Paris and are used like a heavy transit line then maybe. Do they not know about Block 37? That was in the heart of the loop, and was empty when it opened. Why do they think a giant indoor mall will work here, it seems really unnecessary. At most they could build a nice new metra stop. What is the current ridership at the 18th street station?
The developer wants to build a tram system linking Navy Pier to Soldier Field with stops at the museums.
Which is where the real passenger volume would come from. The harbor tenders like to make some money on the side ferrying tourists who give up the Museum Campus hike so I suppose there could be a market. Navy Pier: The Second Coming

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 7:26 PM

Surprised to see the SW suburbs are mostly up between 2017-18 while almost everywhere else is slightly down.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/news...opulation-race

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest