HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 11:11 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
My point on sound walls is that they are being built along all major roads for their entire length, creating a blinding tunnel-vision experience for all drivers and passengers. The fact that most occupants are immersed in a cell phone experience anyway, and could be in a jail cell in PA or on a beach in Hawaii and wouldn't know the difference till the wifi went out isn't relevant, either. On second thought, I give up.
Blinding tunnel vision? WTF. You ever drive through an actual tunnel? Compare that to any part of Circle Drive and sound walls. Apples and watermelons mate, no comparison.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 2:39 PM
Saskatoon

Quote:
My point on sound walls is that they are being built along all major roads for their entire length, creating a blinding tunnel-vision experience for all drivers and passengers. The fact that most occupants are immersed in a cell phone experience anyway, and could be in a jail cell in PA or on a beach in Hawaii and wouldn't know the difference till the wifi went out isn't relevant, either. On second thought, I give up.
I think I can see what you're getting at here. The sound walls hide and anonymize, making it easy to forget you're going past neighbourhoods where other people are living and working. It's just another stretch of road to consume between you and your destination and you get angry whenever something or someone dares to impede you.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 4:10 PM

The sound walls have been a blessing to those that live along the freeways. Foresight into using the dirt left over from all the basement excavations would be a less expensive use than the walls. I really like what they did along the Clavet highway and Rosewood.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 4:01 AM

Anyone know what is going on at the corner of 1st and 25th? Used to be a messy gravel edge of a parking lot but looks like they're spicing it up?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 4:19 AM

This City is making some public realm improvements on that corner.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 5:44 AM

A place called Barburrito is going in at Preston Crossing...

It'll be nice when we get some confirmation of what is going in at the larger spaces at that place.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 2:13 PM

Barburrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook View Post
A place called Barburrito is going in at Preston Crossing...

It'll be nice when we get some confirmation of what is going in at the larger spaces at that place.
Any idea what part of the complex it will be setting up shop? Is there a sign up yet?

Thanks

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 5:35 PM

Was disappointed to see that the empty lot on the Corner of Broadway and Main (across street from Grocery Store) is NOT being developed but has been leveled and prepped as a parking lot. What a waste of prime real estate but another example of a land owner being able to make more money off of parking revenue then developing a site. The city needs more development "rules" or incentives to get away from more gravel parking lots. It also looks like it will be electrified (plug ins) so this appears to be a long term commitment to a surface parking lot....ugggg!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 11:50 AM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:25 PM. Reason: btw

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 2:46 PM

Quote:
My last experience was quite negative a couple of years ago, but only from the driving side; specifically coming over the Sid-bridge from the east side. I couldn't see any city at all until we hit the bridge.
You've just perfectly described the only example of sound walls in Saskatoon that I wish wasn't needed as well ... I really miss that open view coming in, and will even moreso as River Landing finally takes shape after all these years. When you finally do get that beautiful view, it's over way too quickly and you don't get much chance to take it all in.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:17 PM

With the downtown built in a valley it's tough to get a good view of the skyline from anywhere afar in my opinion.

I do always enjoy the view of driving down the university bridge though and it'll be nice to see it coming up the Victoria bridge soonish too!

At least one can always take a stroll along the river to enjoy unimpeded views!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 6:18 PM

Noticed the Shangri-la now says 90% sold out, maybe the right time for developers to investigate more high rise condo's seeing that the apartment style aren't doing quite as well.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Noticed the Shangri-la now says 90% sold out, maybe the right time for developers to investigate more high rise condo's seeing that the apartment style aren't doing quite as well.
I really liked those 34 storey twin towers that were proposed with the new library and grocery store. Even 2 towers between 20-30 storeys would be great too.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 9:31 PM

I kind of feel a little sorry for Chris Le Fevre, as he had the foresight to put in condo's where others feared to go. I just think that he is a little out of touch with what people in Saskatoon want at the moment. This isn't to say that I don't think the banks is a great statement for the area and I really like the look of it. As discussed before could be the apartment size as I would rather live there than where the Shangri-la is, just my preference.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 12:36 AM

The crane for the college quarter hotel is being taken down. I think the little one on campus for that science building is gone now too.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
if we do build lets say a 20-30 storey highrise apt/condo tower(s) in the core, will it sell out at a quicker pace? not expecting something like that to sell like no1 parcel y, but would a residential tower around those heights go through well? even without any grocery retailer

imo...if a grocery retailer went downtown, then i could see any residential demand go up for sure. but again like i said in the past..with no1 being sold out that might give developers a light at the end of the tunnel mindset. might take some time but id say within 2-5 years i can see more developers proposing big projects.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 5:00 PM

Condos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
if we do build lets say a 20-30 storey highrise apt/condo tower(s) in the core, will it sell out at a quicker pace? not expecting something like that to sell like no1 parcel y, but would a residential tower around those heights go through well? even without any grocery retailer

imo...if a grocery retailer went downtown, then i could see any residential demand go up for sure. but again like i said in the past..with no1 being sold out that might give developers a light at the end of the tunnel mindset. might take some time but id say within 2-5 years i can see more developers proposing big projects.
I think the other towers at river landing should also be condos with maybe a couple of floors of retail/office rather than entirely office towers. I think there is a demand for river bank condos and there is plenty of land in downtown away from the river to build office towers.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 7:09 PM

I agree a grocery retailer is an eventual must but something has to come first. All i was pointing out is that it seemed like the highrise condos were selling better than the apartment style ones. There is more land available on the riverbank for condo's, some coming up for sale and some that developers already own.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter12 View Post
I think the other towers at river landing should also be condos with maybe a couple of floors of retail/office rather than entirely office towers. I think there is a demand for river bank condos and there is plenty of land in downtown away from the river to build office towers.
I agree, the Riverlanding buildings should all be condo towers as seen from how well No1 sold out within one weekend..
Any condo tower in Saskatoon with a floor-to-ceiling river views will sell like No1, Any condo that's a low-rise commie block will sell like Shangri La, Any condo that's low-rise with small square footage will sell like The Banks..or like any low rise condo building such as in Blairmore.. Any questions?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan