HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
Oh my god, that brings back memories! I totally forgot about that place. Where the U of R McDonalds now stands. We went for sunday brunch there quite often. They lifted that place onto the back of a semi and drove it out to the east end...

Anyone remember Carlos & Bud's, the mexican restaurant at the corner of Albert & the road to Taylor Field? Across from the Superstore. They had fantastic mexican food and deep fried ice cream.
Carlos & Bud's was where they used to host roughrider round table after rider games. They had really good nachos...Carlos was another place where thomas cook restaurant was/is and they had a huge plate of nachos over there.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 11:29 PM

I remember when...The Center of the Arts was under construction. There was a construction strike part way through, after the major steel had been erected. It sat like that for about a year. It became known as the "the giant monkey bars out by the lake". It was literally out in the middle of nowhere (even more so than now). The nearest buildings were probably the first couple buildings at the new U of R campus, further south, and the old power house across the lake.

Speaking of which, I remember when the Saskatchewan Science Center was a functioning power plant. My grandfather worked there, and occasionally took me on tours inside. Now that was cool!

The lake east of Broad stayed open all winter because the power plant used it for cooling water, and the water that came out of the plant was still warm. There was always a steamy fog hanging over the lake, and the hoarfrost was especially heavy. The Canada Geese that populated the lake quit migrating south for the winter, and the population exploded.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 4:38 AM

.....i remember under 18 club in the building where boston billiards was called the "orange club" or something with "orange" in it
...when the landmark bar was half checkerdome and half sneaky pete's before they tore out the wall and made a big checkers, o.c.c's just changed to laderdales, the two countrybars, channel one for the bands
.......i remember Hollywoods where the north canadian tire is now
....going for 6 cent wings at jerry lee's which is now J.D's
...winstons where p.j mellons was.....yuckaflucks booze partys there
...the bar that was in cash converters was called "shades" i think
....there was a bingo hall in the same building that vallue village is in when i was a kid
...remember glen cairn just being built and moving into our brand new house and how muddy and bare it was there
...the starlight drive in somewhere about where old navy is now
....there was pretty much nothing past fleet street but the graveyard and wild slides being built
....no real lewvan street past the cn tracks by 1st aveN, just a dirty street going over some tracks
.....the heavy traffic going by collin thatcher's house right after his wife was murdered.....

lots of building memories

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 5:05 AM
Chilean like a villian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenandpickles View Post
.....i remember
SHADES!!! that was it, thank you!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 2:30 PM

I remember when the Whitmore Park shopping centre had a Safeway, TD Bank and a Texaco gas station. All of which closed when the Southland Mall got renovated. Everyone went there instead. Thank goodness Tumblers/Western Pizza and Mac's managed to survive there or else that whole mini mall would have been toast.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 4:19 PM
Chilean like a villian

Speaking of Texaco, my brother told me there used to be one on the NW corner Albert St and 15th Avenue (just north of the current Petro Canada that is currently on the SW corner), anyone remember any other Texaco locations?
I also remember when the Petro Canada mentioned above was called Neighbours (I don't remember seeing it called Neighbours any more but some websites still refer to it as a neighbours location), when I checked Neighbours website it seems that they only exist in Ontario now.
Since we are in the neighbourhood, I remember that in that immediate area (either the corner of Albert & 15th or Albert & 14th) there used to be a RENT-A-WRECK and a Hyundai Dealership.

Last edited by spictacular mcluvin; Aug 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 5:04 PM

There was also a full service Esso station in Cathedral where the Pacific Fresh Fish building is across from Gales Florist (is Gales still around?).

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeg View Post
(is Gales still around?).
Yep, we used them for the flowers for our wedding in June.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 10:56 PM

Joann (Thatcher) Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenandpickles View Post

.....the heavy traffic going by collin thatcher's house right after his wife was murdered.....
If you are referring to the house on Albert Street that she was murdered in, that was not Colin Thatcher's house. It belonged to Joann's second husband, Tony Wilson. Colin Thatcher lived in Moose Jaw.

I remember when...I went to a party at Alex Wilson's house; in between the time his stepmother was shot by a sniper through the kitchen window, and the time she was brutally murdered in the garage. I noticed several finger-sized holes in the kitchen cabinets that looked a lot like bullet holes to me.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 11:08 PM

I do remember the Texaco at Albert and 15th, still just a vacant lot. Texaco was taken over by Esso, and the stations either closed immediately, or became Essos (and most of THEM later closed.) One was right next to Wheaton Chev-Olds on Albert Street North (which had two other Esso stations within about a two-block radius.) Another was on Broad Street near where Hyundai is now. At this point, about the only one I can think of that's still operating is in Lumsden.

Who remembers the big full-service Esso stations called "Imperial Centres"?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeg View Post
Carlos & Bud's was where they used to host roughrider round table after rider games. They had really good nachos...Carlos was another place where thomas cook restaurant was/is and they had a huge plate of nachos over there.
IIRC, Carlos and Bud's was actually the restaurant in the south end where Thomas Cook's is currently located...wasn't open very long...maybe '94 to '97. They opened up while Carlos' was still in in operation, I always wondered why they didn't pick a more original name.

Carlos's started out in the Highview Plaza on the west side of Albert just down from Taylor Field...maybe '86 or '87...had the round table at that location. They then picked up in the early 90's and moved to where Habano's is now...only operated a year or two before shutting it down.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 1:04 AM

[QUOTE=chickenandpickles;4390666
[/QUOTE]

Good memory...that sounds right. I was thinking of the name Shennanigan's but I believe that was actually the name of a shortlived bar that operated for a year or so in what would then become The Long Branch.

As for Shades's on Dewdney, I know that it was open in the fall of '95, as I recall stopping in there after a Rider victory over Calgary there on Thanksgiving Sunday. That was our first Grey Cup year and with all the temporary stands up the crowd was over 55,000, In fact that was the most people ever at Taylor field as both of our actual Grey Cup games were slightly less.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvj View Post
IIRC, Carlos and Bud's was actually the restaurant in the south end where Thomas Cook's is currently located...wasn't open very long...maybe '94 to '97. They opened up while Carlos' was still in in operation, I always wondered why they didn't pick a more original name.

Carlos's started out in the Highview Plaza on the west side of Albert just down from Taylor Field...maybe '86 or '87...had the round table at that location. They then picked up in the early 90's and moved to where Habano's is now...only operated a year or two before shutting it down.
you are correct. Had my names reversed.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spictacular mcluvin View Post
Do you mean this ROXY?. I found this old picture on a website for some Stephen Shore guy

Great picture! And, apparently, it's in the Museum of Modern Art! I'd love to see a ton more pictures like it.

Anyway, next to the Roxy (on the left) is Dal's Chicken Inn. And on the right is the old Regina Inn Safeway.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 1:44 PM

I remember when...

The only thing southwest of Albert Street and Grant Road was Kiddy Land amusement park and a drive-in (Starlite?) off of the Trans Canada Highway. Well, OK, there was the "high-rise" apartment tower on Grant Road, but no Southland Mall or South Albert Park until about 1975.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 2:25 AM

Plains Motor Inn

I remember driving down Albert Street (in the back of my Dad's '63 Pontiac Laurentian) and seeing hippies hanging out in the glass enclosed stairway of the Plains. I'd like to see it incorporated into the Westgate Towers proposal. It might be possible to preserve the 'highway modern' facade as part of the low rise element on the corner. It almost looks like they deliberately intended to retain the scale of the Plains in that part of the rendering.

There have been lots of good (and mostly bad) things go on at the Plains, but it has been an anchor of that corner for half century and deserves some respect. It would add some funkiness to an overall good, but a little generic initial proposal to retain the architectural expresssion of the current building.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 7:40 AM
Chilean like a villian

I remember when the Scarth Street Mall got an upgrade and looked a lot better. What I don't remember is how it looked before the reno so is that because of my poor memory or was it so bad that I forgot?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 12:55 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Name of the hotel on Hamilton Street, east side, just south of the old Hudson's Bay property? It was torn down in the late 80s or 90s for surface parking. Used to be able to listen to live blues there.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post
Name of the hotel on Hamilton Street, east side, just south of the old Hudson's Bay property? It was torn down in the late 80s or 90s for surface parking. Used to be able to listen to live blues there.
That would be the Georgia Hotel. Neat place, I think it was only about 30' wide. Saw Barney Bentall playing there around '88. I think it was gone shortly after that.

Edit - Or was it...I actually think the Georgia Hotel was on the west side of the street...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 8:22 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvj View Post
That would be the Georgia Hotel. Neat place, I think it was only about 30' wide. Saw Barney Bentall playing there around '88. I think it was gone shortly after that.

Edit - Or was it...I actually think the Georgia Hotel was on the west side of the street...
I have been wrong many times in the past, but I'm sure the Georgia Hotel was on the east side of Hamilton. The LaSalle Hotel was on the west side of Hamilton, but one block north, between 12th and 11th.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan