HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 9:27 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTexas View Post
Sirkingwilliam, I couldn't agree with you more! Didn't they create the CityDesign Studio (name?) to stop these types of things?

I'm happy to lend my efforts to bringing some attention to this. San Antonio deserves better.
Isn't the CDS focused primarily on downtown only? If not and CDS doe have influence on the SACM design then we should contact them as we.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Isn't the CDS focused primarily on downtown only? If not and CDS doe have influence on the SACM design then we should contact them as we.
from http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...et-guidelines/

Quote:
The CityDesignStudio’s function, Brodeur said, is to set guidelines and standards for new buildings, streetscapes, parks, etc. The team’s scope is the entire city but with an emphasis on downtown.
This is close enough to downtown to matter, and Hildebrand is the northern boundary of Center City (the original 36 sq. miles). I think the CDS is the best bet.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
from http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...et-guidelines/

This is close enough to downtown to matter, and Hildebrand is the northern boundary of Center City (the original 36 sq. miles). I think the CDS is the best bet.
Sweet! Sounds good. Can you get their contact?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 10:13 PM

I can see both sides on the discussion with the children's museum. The original rendering (if that is the one referred to) certainly looks like it fits what the area will look like. However, the landscaped layout also looks okay.

Someone would certainly have to work their way to the entrance; it does not interact with the street. The newer layout also seems smaller. Maybe, considering the demographic for this museum, separation is not a bad thing? Is it so bad for there to be a "park feel" surrounding the buildings?

As far as the Rivercenter Mall goes, it really feels like owner is doing window dressing so this property can be unloaded.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 3:21 AM

Quote:
If someone were walking from farther south, this would be the dead space that would deter them from continuing their walk; it disconnects neighborhoods, it would be no better than it is now. This is the side of the street that they would use to avoid the driveways and keep the interest going as they walk.
I think that when someone is walking down a street, especially one that is (going to be) a major commercial/residential corridor, they're not just walking down the street for funsies. In other words, I bet that literally nobody actually walking up Broadway will look ahead, see some trees instead of some buildings, and think to themselves "Screw this! I'm turning around and walking back the way I came instead of continuing onward to my destination!" People walk down streets for a reason, because they are moving their bodies toward a destination, and for many of them that destination will actually be the Children's Museum or Lions Field, or the residential tower that will hypothetically be built right next to them in 2018.

Quote:
it disconnects neighborhoods
The Children's Museum will have the same effect when it comes to disconnecting neighborhoods whether it sits right on the street or not.

Quote:
it would be no better than it is now.
I'm willing to bet that in the next few decades the rest of Broadway will more than make up the difference.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
I think that when someone is walking down a street, especially one that is (going to be) a major commercial/residential corridor, they're not just walking down the street for funsies. In other words, I bet that literally nobody actually walking up Broadway will look ahead, see some trees instead of some buildings, and think to themselves "Screw this! I'm turning around and walking back the way I came instead of continuing onward to my destination!" People walk down streets for a reason, because they are moving their bodies toward a destination, and for many of them that destination will actually be the Children's Museum or Lions Field, or the residential tower that will hypothetically be built right next to them in 2018.

The Children's Museum will have the same effect when it comes to disconnecting neighborhoods whether it sits right on the street or not.

I'm willing to bet that in the next few decades the rest of Broadway will more than make up the difference.
Your explanation doesn't make up for horrible design.
And the truth is, that they might turn around and choose a different method of transit. When there is no continuity, people can't envision themselves walking somewhere where there is no scale for them to know how long it will take. It's the reason some people "easily" make the walk from Rivercenter over to the Market Square, yet nobody makes the on-foot trek from Houston St. to the Pearl even though they are similar distance. The lack of activity on the street and the breakup caused by parking lots makes it feel farther than what it really is. Yes the Children's Museum will get used, but how many people are actually going to use the sidewalk in front (or side/back or whatever part of the building that is) of the building? The answer is probably as many people that use the one in front of The Broadway.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 5:18 PM

Quote:
And the truth is, that they might turn around and choose a different method of transit. When there is no continuity, people can't envision themselves walking somewhere where there is no scale for them to know how long it will take.
Agreed. Part of it is being able to identify where you are/how far from your destination, and part of it is simply boredom. People will not walk down a road if there is no activity. If sidewalks were the only thing that mattered, Stone Oak would be a walker's paradise.

And, has the "let's do something about the horrible design" idea run out of steam? Or are will still interested? I know I am!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 7:09 PM

Quote:
And, has the "let's do something about the horrible design" idea run out of steam? Or are will still interested? I know I am!
I submitted a lengthy article to a "local, independent and all about San Antonio" online media outlet to no avail, wrote lengthy emails to a few city officials and the HDRC.........

I have come to the conclusion that anybody that should care and can do something, doesn't and won't.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 10:47 PM

We need to contact the CityDesignStudio people.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
We need to contact the CityDesignStudio people.
I have Mark Brodeur's email address if anyone would like to work with me on contacting him.

It might not make too much difference on this project based on Miaht's efforts, but would be good to know what their role is and give them some of our perspective on how to make a better center city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio